Beautiful colonial facade with long history, but very disappointed with the service levels in this hotel. When I entered the lobby, the staff were not serving other customers but continued chatting among themselves nonetheless. Their first remark to me was "passport please".
The rooms are big and clean but with ersatz colonial era furniture. The long hallways leading to the rooms are traditional parquet, but no one has seen fit to run a carpet up the centre, resulting in housekeeping trolleys which trundle along like freight trains from early morning.
Room service food was very basic. You need to pay for your Internet connection at quite an exorbitant rate.
My biggest complaint is reserved for their 1885 restaurant. Our party arrived a little late, but well before last orders. The restaurant was at about 10% capacity. "Sir, do you have a reservation?" I replied "er no" ... "please take a seat outside first". We were ushered outside where we had to wait for 10 minutes while each of the three staff had a peep at us. When we were given seats we waited about another 20 minutes before the bread arrived. "Sir, this bread is just fresh out of the oven!" the waiter exclaims. I think he meant the microwave, as the bottom of the bread was still hard and cold. We complained. "Would you like it reheated sir?" .. "er no, I think we will just leave". ."would you like to have your order in your room?" basically no apologies and no idea why we might be upset with the service.
May be they were just having an off day. Can't understand all the praise on here though, unless the hotel have a very busy marketing department?. Perhaps they should redirect some more energy to training.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as 'The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era. In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, Travelocity, Fastbooking, Expedia, Hotwire, HotelTravel.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Ctrip TA, Odigeo, Priceline and TripOnline SA so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/George Town