My husband and I stayed at the E&O in March for our 25th wedding anniversary for 8 nights.
I will start with the Pros;
We had a corner suite in the Victory annex, it was huge, a view to die for.
Pool was gorgeous, superb breakfast (service on the weekends was difficult for the staff), concierge
was outstanding, very friendly staff, 1885 restaurant superb, Sarkies was very good as was Farquhar's bar and a great little gift shop. Special acknowledgement for, Dean, Izzy and Norman who were outstanding for their professionalism and genuine friendliness. Without them, our stay may not have been as pleasant.
Now for the cons;
Our room each day was not cleaned throughly and twice we had to ask for it to be cleaned.
The balcony had not been cleaned at all, even before we arrived as there were stains on the floor and footprints on the chairs.
We had access to the club on the 6th floor and we were very disappointed. We have been to numerous clubs and there is always a dress code and children not allowed under a certain age.
People were dress in shorts and thongs and very young children were running all over the place.
Very limited drinks to choose from and you had to help yourselves. It was obvious that some guests made dinner for themselves and their kids from the canapés. You could see that staff were looking at each other in dismay, rather embarrassing!
There is a great little hotel history museum behind the concierge in the new wing with a wonderful lady who is very knowledgeable and so happy to see you. There needs to be a bigger sign or a special mention to let guests know that it is there, otherwise you will miss it.
The pool needs to be cleaned better as often there was green fungus etc on the floor and sides of the pool.
Over all, it is a lovely hotel and if we were to visit again, we will stay in a suite in the old wing, have a drink in Farquhar's bar and not pay the extra for club privileges in the new wing.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as 'The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era. In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Ctrip TA, Expedia, Hotels.com, Fastbooking, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Orbitz, getaroom.com, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/George Town