In the good old days, there were only three decent hotels east of Suez. The E&O is one of them.
Right in the heart of George Town, the E&O is still the place to stay and relax after a day of sightseeing. Walk into the lobby and you are likely to hear Glenn Miller's "In the Mood" (or something similar), though via a CD recording these days, not a live band. You might half expect to see Noel Coward coming out of Farquhar's Bar after downing a few chota pegs with the planters back from upcountry supervising the natives on the plantations.
We stayed in the original wing which was extensively renovated about 10 years ago. The guest rooms have everything one needs, lounge area, TV, bedroom and bathroom. We had a pleasant view overlooking the gardens and seashore. And there is a modern "Victory" annexe to meet high season demand.
The breakfast buffet is superb though there is no pork because of local culture. You definitely won't need any tiffin for quite some time after enjoying the buffet, but there is always Sarkies Corner for local fare as well as some European dishes. Surprisingly, Nasi Goreng was not on the menu. When visiting the Straits Settlements, this reviewer greatly looks forward to a nice plate of NG plus a big bottle of Tiger beer.
All the staff are unfailingly polite, our butler Keat deserving a special mention here. We were low season guests therefore not incommoded by hordes of children and other high season types. So, all in all, it was frightfully civilised four day sojourn.
Time now for another chota peg. Where's the drinks wallah ?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as 'The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era. In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, Expedia, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Travelocity, Ctrip TA, Fastbooking, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/George Town