“Great hotel!”

Eastern & Oriental Hotel
Ranked #10 of 88 Hotels in George Town
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Went on a family vacation and wanted to visit Penang. I browsed the hotels and we found the E&O had high reviews on trip advisor. We stayed in the Victory Wing and the rooms are very well done. The service was impeccable and the buffet breakfast was fantastic. Loong, who was at the front desk, was very helpful with local restaurant recommendations (check out Bali Hai for a great seafood dinner).

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
EasternandOriental1, The Management at Eastern & Oriental Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Many thanks for choosing to stay with us for your holiday and for
providing us with your valuable feedback. It is nice to hear of your
pleasant experience and most importantly you enjoyed our warm
hospitality.

Thank you for your kind mention of Loong who has been helpful in
providing information. Our Chefs create a wide selection of items
on the breakfast buffet and we are pleased you found this to your
liking.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again on your
next visit to Penang.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

What a fabulous hotel and holiday. We were in need of a rest and stayed for ten days in a suite with a balcony overlooking the Malacca Straits in the Heritage wing. We could easily have stayed longer.

The hotel and garden is just beautiful. Our room was comfortable, clean, calm and cool and well decorated. We loved the balcony, it was worth spending a bit more on this. We spent our mornings by the Heritage pool, walked out for lunch and exploring each day, then back to the Victory Annex pool for the afternoon, then off to Planters Lounge for sunset drinks. The pools really make this hotel, they are both surprisingly lovely. Breakfast buffet has everything you could want. The gym (and you will need it!) was great as well. It's great value for the cost.

The E&O staff are wonderful, very kind and well meaning. If there is a language problem (I don't speak Malaysian) they are patient. We celebrated my husband's birthday, which I mentioned when I booked, and the staff organised a surprise cake as a treat which was touching. The management seem to be Eurpoean.

We ate in the hotel only once due to bad weather, as there is so much great food in Penang. The hotel is well located, with a 15 minute walk to the old town, quite pleasant enough if you take the back streets and avoid the traffic. Georgetown is amazing - it's on the edge of a huge tourism explosion, I felt. There is a lot of (sensitive) renovation of old colonial shop fronts going on. It's a place about to take off, get there soon. We are looking forward to returning.

Room Tip: A balcony room on a higher floor overlooking the water was a great investment
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for contributing this wonderful review following your
10 night stay with us. It is so rewarding to hear that everything went perfect
for you on such a long stay and glad that you enjoyed every aspects of
your stay, from your accommodation, services, facilities to your dining
experiences.

It is always motivating for the team to know that they could contribute to
make a guest’s stay remarkable.

The pools at both the Heritage and Victory Annexe Wing are indeed a
beautiful sanctuary to start your stay with a refreshing dip or after a tiring
day. We are also delighted to hear that the hotel’s central location perfectly
suited your requirement.

Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to your next visit
soon.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

Our fourth stay at the E&O over a 30-year span was all we expected. The large Heritage Wing suite opened onto the garden, near the pool (one of two), and near a workout room (also one of two). After a 6-hr drive from KL, a drink in the convivial pub was "on tap".

I had told them it was our anniversary, so we had a lovely rose petal heart on the bed, a nice fruit assortment, and cheesecake for late-night tea.

The breakfast buffet was varied Eastern and Western, tasty, and very well-serviced.

We spent much of our time walking around Old Town, which is just across from the hotel. We loved the great murals, shops, local food, friendly merchants, and clean well maintained streets. But it was always nice to return to the old world charm of the E&O.

The new multi-story annex looks very nice, but personally we love the ambience of the heritage wing.

The service was both efficient and personable. Taking the time to chat with staff about local information was both fun and productive. Ask to borrow Reception's copy of the E&O history book -- a great read if you like colonial-era history !

Thanks, E&O, We'll be back.

Room Tip: Ground-floor suites face the ocean (and the mainland) and open onto a spacious lawn, with a nice poo...

Thank you for your constant loyalty in choosing The Eastern & Oriental
Hotel for your stay and for coming to celebrate this special occasion
on your 4th visit.

We greatly appreciate your kind compliments on the areas that we have
served you well and it pleases us to know that we have once again made
your stay memorable and wonderful. It is nice to know that your stay was
flawless and you enjoyed every aspect of it.

Your words of appreciation of the staff shall go a long way to motivate
the team to continue to deliver a high level of service to our valued
guests.

We are delighted to know that you would be planning a return and we look
forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

Enough has been said in other reviews about this hotel’s old world charm and location. I stayed recently for one night in the Heritage Wing. The room was spacious enough, with a very comfortable bed and linens, which are important to me for this level of hotel. However, for the price paid and the claims they are a five star hotel, I think there is plenty of room for improvement:

1) What five-star hotel these days still has boxy old style TVs rather than flat screen TVs?
2) I didn’t time it exactly, but it took the two front guest staff at least 20 minutes to check-in myself and a colleague at a time which was clearly not busy. While they did serve us a cold guava juice while we waited, I’ve never been kept waiting so long checking into a five-star hotel;
3) The lady from the front desk did show me up to my room (nice sea view), but left me in my room without showing me how any of the room features worked, and I was literally left in the room in the dark (at dusk), to fumble around on my own to figure out the combination of antique and modern light switches etc.
4) The AC was too cold but the control on the wall was set to maximum temp suggesting it was not working (Suite 307);
5) Nice large bathroom facilities with separate shower stall, two sinks separated by a large bathtub. As I’m sure most guest would use the shower, I was more than slightly annoyed to step into the shower and turn it on only to find two amenities racks but no shower amenities! They were plentiful, but left out near the two sinks, including shampoo and bath gel!
6) Also, after the shower, no towels were found hanging within reach of the shower. They were on a rack over the bathtub across the bathroom.
7) Only one small bottled water in the suite?
8) Breakfast was included, but was in a restaurant at the other Annex. While it was vaguely explained how to get there upon check-in, in the morning there was no clear signage how to get there. On my first try, I actually ended up in the darkened hotel basement rather than the restaurant.
9) Upon checkout, my presence was barely acknowledged by the front desk staff other than to process the payment on my CC. No query about how I may have enjoyed my stay etc.

While this hotel may claim to be five-star and charge five-star prices for the Penang market, it can’t rely solely on its location and outward appearances if it wants to maintain clients. I’ll definitely be looking at other options next trip.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank OrientHouse
EasternandOriental1, Resident Manager at Eastern & Oriental Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Thank you for choosing The Eastern & Oriental Hotel and for taking
the time to write and share your experience.

We are a five star hotel, offering at the Heritage Wing various spacious
suites with a minimum size of 58 Sqm and up to the biggest of 558 Sqm.
All guests upon arrival are welcomed with a cocktail and face towel,
after which they will be escorted to the suite where a short explanation
of the benefits and the available facilities in the hotel will be made known
to the guests.

You will be delighted to hear from us that the Colonial Heritage Wing will
go on a complete refurbishment plan in 2014 and the TV will be changed
despite many guests requesting us to keep them as part of the very few
last memorable touch from the past.

The new wing is offering a complete set of new technology equipment such
as the coffee machine, flat screen TV, modern phone and I-Pod for the Corner
Suites.

We value all feedback from our guests, as this is the only way to ensure we
continually improve our product and service. Please be rest assured that your
comments on the shortcomings will be reviewed with the team for some very
detailed actions and we take extra note on the issues that you have kindly raised.
We are grateful for your comments and apologize for your experience.

Once again, I regret for your experience and we hope you will give us the
opportunity to make improvements and let us welcome you back. If I may be
of any further assistance in the future, please contact me directly at
rainfroy.harold@eohotels.com

Harold Rainfroy
Resident Manager

Reviewed November 30, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a three night stay at the E and O.
We stayed in the Victory Wing ,and we loved it.The new wing is fantastic. And in keeping with the Heritage Wing,but so fresh and new .Our view from our room was magnificent, the pool area was so divine ,one has to see it to believe how lovely it is.
We loved Planters Lounge with our nightly drinks and eats,and found the service excellent.
We celebrated our wedding anniversary,and we were delivered a gorgeous cake that evening,plus rose petals in the shape of a heart on our bed,very sweet !
Service was excellent in the hotel, we will return for our third visit in the near future.

1  Thank Biddy C

Dear Valued Guest,

Many thanks for posting your nice review and rating us 5/5 on Trip Advisor.

Thank you for coming to spend this special occasion and it is wonderful
to learn that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. We are glad
that you were pleased and happy with both the product and services and
the facilities it has to offer.

It has been a pleasure having you as our resident and we certainly look
forward to your 3rd visit soon.

Reviewed November 27, 2013

The E&O in Penang comes from the same family DNA as Singapore's Raffles, and one can see the similarities. Like Raffles, the E&O was THE place to stay during the British colonial period. The original building has a new wing which constitutes a great mix of new and old. The hotel sits on the water in the heart of Georgetown. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, and there is a good mix of places to eat and drink in the hotel. The staff is everything you would expect. Overall, a wonderful base to explore Penang.

1  Thank skyhoosier
EasternandOriental1, The Management at Eastern & Oriental Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2013

Thank you for sharing your positive experience of the Eastern & Oriental
Hotel and we are certainly glad you enjoyed every aspects of your stay.
It was with great pleasure to read this feedback and that the quality of the
hotel surpassed all expectations as well as your compliments to the team.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to review our property. It is greatly
appreciated. We look forward to receiving you again soon on the island and
to provide a more treasured experience for you.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

I stayed at the E&O for 3 nights on my honeymoon and was pretty disappointed with our experience there. The hotel seems much more focused on maintaining its image rather than looking after its guests.
Here's what I found disappointing:
We stayed in the heritage wing and the room we had was tastefully done and spacious however it felt dusty and like it wasn't properly cleaned.
There seems to be a massive lack of communication at this hotel. We had informed them we were on our honeymoon and were told we'd receive petals as well as cake. None of this happened. We also booked the buffet lunch through reception and our booking wasn't passed on. Luckily we were accommodated for but the waiter seemed extremely annoyed about the situation and it appeared that this kind of thing happens quite a lot.
The worst thing about our stay was an incident we had with a taxi. The concierge flagged us one down and it turned out to be someone really dodgy who tried to rip us off from the moment we got in there. We ended up in an argument with him and got out on the side of the road. It was a pretty frightening experience. A hotel like the E&O should take better care of its guests and not just put them in any unmetered taxi.
Overall a real let down after reading all the positive reviews. I will not be returning.

2  Thank Anna_Hearts_Travel
EasternandOriental1, Resident Manager at Eastern & Oriental Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for coming here to spend this special occasion.
However, we are disappointed to read your description of encounters
with our services. We would like to express our regret that your stay
was not flawless and it is disappointing to hear that the service was
a let down and we sincerely apologize for this shortfall.

I would be grateful if might contact me personally at rainfroy.harold@eohotels.com
in regards to the honeymoon arrangements in order for my further investigation
to prevent similar events from occurring.

With regards to the taxi, the Hotel does have a licensed operated tour
desk where guests can book transport with them, and we are sorry for
your encounter with the taxi driver.

We acknowledge your comment that you would not want to return to this
hotel. However, we would certainly appreciate an opportunity to change
your impression should you consider staying with us again.

Harold Rainfroy

#15 of 88 in George Town
Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La
The Edison George Town, Penang
Hotel Jen Penang by Shangri-La

Been to Eastern & Oriental Hotel? Share your experiences!