“Wonderful Suites but hit and miss services!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Eastern & Oriental Hotel

Eastern & Oriental Hotel
Ranked #11 of 82 Hotels in George Town
Bangkok
“Wonderful Suites but hit and miss services!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

We stayed in a Studio suite in the Victory Annexe (new wing) and had an enjoyable experience with some problems along the way.

When booking make sure you ask for a "FULL" sea view room. Some of the suites ending with the numbers 01 - 03 and 20 - 22, like 722 or 1201 etc, have city views with limited sea view. We were given suite 722 but upon complaining we were move to 1206 and was very happy with the new room. Beautiful ocean view and you can hear the waves breaking below, even from the 12th floor. Our suite was of a good size, both the bedroom and the bathroom. Good amenities but the bed was a bit firm for my taste.

Service was hit and miss. One night house keeping forgot to clean our room and when the man did show up he looked as if he wanted to kill me! It rained a lot when we were there and there are no umbrellas in the room and at the front door of the hotel they are always running out of umbrella for their guests. Being in the tropic there should be plenty of umbrella for everyone!

The Planters Lounge on the 6th floor is nice but often crowded. The snacks and drinks were OK but not a big selection for wine and no sparkling wine offered. If they start charging extra for club benefits I would not do it but it's included with our suite as of this date. We had breakfast at Sarkie's Corner and it was busy everyday. Typical breakfast buffet but it was too busy for my liking. We also had dinner there and did not like the food too much, see my review for Sarkies Corner.

Overall a good hotel in a good location. Upon complaining about our room assignment the general manager came to see us and apologised for the mishap. Very nice of him and very much appreciated. Will stay here again if I return in the future.

Room Tip: Avoid room ending with the numbers 01 - 03 and 20 - 22.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Pooky_TH
HaroldRainfroy, Resident Manager at Eastern & Oriental Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor.

It sounds like whilst there were some great positives from your stay with us,
including the size of our suite, good amenities and our convenient location,
I am naturally concerned there were aspects that we could have done better
and I am very sorry for your disappointment. Rest assured your comments
have been reviewed with the team for corrective action and please accept
my sincere apologies for the shortfall.

We value all feedbacks from our guests, as this is the only way to ensure we
continually improve our product and service.

It will be great to have you visit us again should your travel brings you back
to Penang.

Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (951)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

A fabulous hotel with great facilities and fantastic staff.
We stayed in the Victory Annexe and were impressed with the size of the bathroom and the room generally.
The service staff in the lounge and in the breakfast room were excellent in both their service and friendliness.
The selection at breakfast was wonderful. Hard to decide what to have each morning.
The pool in the Victory Annexe wing is very relaxing.
Issy, the Assistant Food and Beverage Manager on level 6, is not only an excellent ambassador for the hotel she is a gregarious and generous hostess.
I hope that I have the opportunity to return!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HaroldRainfroy, Resident Manager at Eastern & Oriental Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your candid review.

It was with great pleasure to read this feedback and that the quality of the
Hotel surpassed all expectations as well as your compliments to the team.
It is always motivating for the team to know that they could contribute to
make a guest’s stay remarkable and thank you for making special mention
to Issy.

It is our absolute pleasure to hear that you had such a wonderful stay.
We look forward to your next visit soon and to provide a more treasured
experience for you.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

I went to Penang on school holiday with my 2 teenage sons. And it was fantastic experience. We stayed at new wing and stil have nice coronial feeling. Room was big and modern. the view was just beautiful Wifi was fast ,tv choice was good. The happy hour's service was a bonus. The new swimming pool at 6th floor is very relaxing.
We really loved it,

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Many thanks for choosing to stay with us for your holiday and your valuable
feedback.

It is wonderful to learn that you had a fantastic experience and that you liked
your suite at the new wing.

I am thrilled that you were able to experience and enjoy the Planters Lounge and
the infinity pool located at level 6.

My team and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back again.

Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

We have been waiting for the past hour for check in. We thought the reception desk had processed our check in, having collected my credit card and was just asked to sit at the lobby. So we waited for half an hour. We felt restless as no one came to us, so we decided to approach the reception, to our surprise, she told us the room will not be ready in another 30 minutes. She could have let us know, when questioned why she could not have informed us earlier, she simply gave a chuckle and said "I didn't see you", I'm pretty sure when you work in a hotel you are supposed to be observant. There's no service recovery, and I'm feeling very sore about the stay. I hope there is a good explanation for this. The staff at the reception seems disorganized and asked me where a form is. Mind you this is the guy who is holding to my passport. Tell me E & O why do you pride yourself as a high quality hotel?

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
12 Thank davidko
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

I visited with my mom towards the end of the 9 gods celebration so the new wing was completely booked. We stayed in room 301 in the old wing. We had an unobstructed Ocean front view. Although there are many positive reviews about the new wing, the old wing has more character.

Great breakfast buffet selection, from dim sum, fresh squeezed juice, curries, pastries, cheese, waffles, stir fried noodles, made to order omelette/waffle, etc

No spa in the hotel, instead they recommend a spa about 5 minutes away by car. We had a massage that was terrible! Completely unprofessional! I shared a room with my mom and my masseus came in 30 minutes late with no warning or explanation. She was unable to provide enough pressure so I had to change therapists 2 more times. The 3rd one came in with an attitude an passive aggressively showed her anger throughout my massage an cut 15 minutes off my 90 minutes massage. When I finished there was no apology and no manager around to speak to. The price is a rip off for Malaysia where massages are abundant an cheap. The 'spa' was not well taken care of with paint peeling off the walls and dirty sponge in the bathroom. Save your money and frustration by finding somewhere else to relax!

Stayed October 2013
1 Thank jcwadventures
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.

So delighted that you found your accommodation in the Heritage Wing with
ocean view to your liking and the great breakfast buffet selection. Breakfast
is important and our team of chefs create a wide selection of items in ensuring
all tastes are catered for.

However, I am sorry that you were disappointed by your experience at the Spa.
We have contacted and highlighted to the spa management that each and every
of our guests should be well looked after and given the best that they deserve.
We wish to inform that we are looking into the possibility of having our own spa
within the property for the convenience of our guests.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back
again in the near future.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

Fantastic Hotel with surprisingly good food. Stayed for the Merdeka Weekend and was taken back by the lovely decor of the place. I was pleasantly surprised by how good the buffet was as the selections were plentiful with many live cooking stations. The location of the hotel is first class and I dare say this is one of the better hotels in the entire peninsula.

Room Tip: The normal Rooms very Spacious. Try and Snag one with a view of the Sea.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

I am thrilled to read of your recent enjoyable experience at the Eastern & Oriental
Hotel and your positive review about the hotel, in particular the food and our
location which suited your requirement.

Our team of chefs create a variety of dishes to suit any palate and we usually receive
many compliments on this.

It has been a pleasure having you as our guest and we are glad to have provided you
with a memorable accommodation experience.

Do visit us again should your travel brings you back to Penang.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in the Eastern & Oriental with my older mum. From the minute we walked into the spacious bright colonial reception we knew we were taking a step back through to a slower more serene time. After a warm journey from the airport there's nothing better than being greeted with a big smile, being shown a comfortable armchair and being given a cold refreshing drink and ice cold hand towel.
We were upgraded to a huge suite overlooking the sea. Complementary fruit etc every day. The biggest bathroom, with 2 of everything, including 2 WCs!

We had a bit of a problem with our key not working and ended up having a veritable party in the lobby as members of staff tried to help. Very funny!

Wishing to gain a flavor of the area we walked 5 minutes onto the high street and ate at the hawker stalls. We are with the locals, which included rice from a banana leaf, curry and the most fantastically pulpy fresh orange juice. All for about £5 for 2.

We had dinner at the hotel restaurant one night, which was excellent, with great service, but came at a hefty price.

The hotel arranged for a private tour with David Yeoh. He was excellent and definitely made our trip to Penang very special. We saw Kek Lok Si Buddhist temple, the snake temple (be prepared to have a photo with snake round your neck!), Penang Hill and lots more. His local knowledge means that he stops at stalls of fruit at a bend in the road and let's us try produce including several types of bananas.

We loved this hotel.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
ear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us.

It is always a pleasure for the entire team to receive such praises and we are
more than delighted that you enjoyed the quality services we aim to provide.

Please accept my apology that you have experienced problem working the key
card.

I take good note of your comments regarding hefty price for dining. We do
monitor our prices compared to the other similar hotels on the island . As a
result I had always felt that our prices were in line with our competitor hotels.
It is important to me that we offer value for money for our guests.

Glad that you were able to enjoy the private tour, visiting few places of attractions
in Penang.

It is our sincere hope that you will visit us again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near George Town
Hard Rock Hotel Penang
Hard Rock Hotel Penang
#2 of 12 in Batu Ferringhi
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,588 reviews

Been to Eastern & Oriental Hotel? Share your experiences!