We stayed in a Studio suite in the Victory Annexe (new wing) and had an enjoyable experience with some problems along the way.
When booking make sure you ask for a "FULL" sea view room. Some of the suites ending with the numbers 01 - 03 and 20 - 22, like 722 or 1201 etc, have city views with limited sea view. We were given suite 722 but upon complaining we were move to 1206 and was very happy with the new room. Beautiful ocean view and you can hear the waves breaking below, even from the 12th floor. Our suite was of a good size, both the bedroom and the bathroom. Good amenities but the bed was a bit firm for my taste.
Service was hit and miss. One night house keeping forgot to clean our room and when the man did show up he looked as if he wanted to kill me! It rained a lot when we were there and there are no umbrellas in the room and at the front door of the hotel they are always running out of umbrella for their guests. Being in the tropic there should be plenty of umbrella for everyone!
The Planters Lounge on the 6th floor is nice but often crowded. The snacks and drinks were OK but not a big selection for wine and no sparkling wine offered. If they start charging extra for club benefits I would not do it but it's included with our suite as of this date. We had breakfast at Sarkie's Corner and it was busy everyday. Typical breakfast buffet but it was too busy for my liking. We also had dinner there and did not like the food too much, see my review for Sarkies Corner.
Overall a good hotel in a good location. Upon complaining about our room assignment the general manager came to see us and apologised for the mishap. Very nice of him and very much appreciated. Will stay here again if I return in the future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as 'The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era. In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Fastbooking, Travelocity, Ctrip TA and Agoda so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/George Town