We stayed in the new wing for 2 nights in late August. My wife and I stayed in one room and our teenage daughter and 2 girl-friends stayed in another. We arrived at midday and, with advance warning, the hotel already had our rooms ready. The car was valet parked in a secure hotel car park.
The rooms are spacious, without being huge, with lovely sea views and a nice cosy balcony. The bathroom is huge, and my only gripe here is that the bathroom could easily have been reduced further back by 2 foot or so, without diminishing its facilities which would have enlarged the actual bedroom area. The other drawback is that the toilet is open-plan within the bathing area and openly visible from the dressing area, which may not be everyone's idea of privacy.
The beds were super comfortable, great bed-linen and very efficient a/c. Flat panel TV, and DVD available on request - which is no bad thing as the selection of TV channels is dreadful. In this day and age being miserly with the channel selection just looks cheap. Free Wi-if was available throughout the hotel, including by the pool. The 6th floor infinity pool was great and not crowded at all albeit it was quite hazy when we were there which might have kept some people away.
Breakfast was available on the 6th floor lounge, albeit more 'continental' than the full blown buffet on the ground floor. We took the main buffet breakfast which was generally good.
We dropped into the 6th floor lounge each night for complimentary drinks (beer, wine, spirits) and some limited, but tasty, canapes. This was a pleasant precursor before dinner and seemed very popular.
Service was mixed. Efficient but a little inscrutable at reception, pleasant in the Sarkies coffee shop, very responsive when in contact by email, and generally more helpful and friendly in the old wing areas.
We had good 'promotional' rates when we stayed, and already those rates have gone up subsequently. Having said this, the hotel was not full when we stayed and, in any event, we would stay there again without a doubt.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as 'The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era. In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Agoda, Ctrip TA, Fastbooking, Travelocity, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Priceline, Odigeo, HotelTravel.com and Booking.com so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/George Town