The E & O Hotel was recommended to us by my brother who said he'd had the best breakfast ever there - so on the strength of that we decided to lash out and spend 2 nights there during our week long stay in Georgetown. It was well worth the extra expense. We had a room with a view of the sea and the coastline (not that great due to the smoke from the fires in Sumatra but the thought was there!). The room was large, the bathroom was large, even the showerhead was large! There was fruit to eat and coffee, tea and soft drink. On the 6th floor was a lovely swimming pool half covered over, half out in the open which was a great delight after our days of walking around Georgetown in the heat. We stayed in the Victory wing which had a 'Cocktail Hour' from 5 - 7 pm each evening where yummy finger food and all kinds of drinks were available to the residents of this wing. Very nice, thank you. After we checked in we were taking a look around and the manager of the Victory wing noticed we were interested in the hotel and took us on a tour all around. She was very informative about the history of the place - it was built in 1885 - and was obviously very proud to be working there. All the other staff were extremely helpful and friendly. I had some trouble getting on to the internet and one of the staff took the time to check out my netbook and set it up so it worked fine. And the breakfast? Superb! So many choices - and definitely the best ever!! So ....When you go to Georgetown - go on, spoil yourself and stay at the E & O!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as 'The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era. In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Fastbooking, Hotwire, Ctrip TA, Travelocity, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/George Town