“We shall return!”

Ranked #10 of 84 Hotels in George Town
Adelaide, Australia
“We shall return!”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Great hotel and tremendous staff, wife was very impressed by the rose petal heart on the bed when we arrived. Rooms very spacious, well appointed and quiet. Highlight was watching the guys emptying the pool after a major storm filled it with seawater, crabs and fish.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Barney B
HaroldRainfroy, Resident Manager at Eastern & Oriental Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

We were delighted to read that your accommodation experience and the service
met with your expectations, and that you enjoyed your stay with us.

It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and we very much look forward to
welcoming you back again in the near future.

The Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (983)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Napier, New Zealand
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Just loved everything about this hotel. We had a suite in the Victory Annex with a sea view. It was fabulous. The pool on the 6th floor was amazing. The staff could not have been more helpful.
The happy hours in Planters lounge each evening was a wonderful touch as we got to meet other guests which was fun. We really appreciated this facility.
Georgetown is a fascinating place, very steeped in history but lots of modern building as well. Loved our time in Penang.

Room Tip: Sea view Victory Annexe was lovely & quiet
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rhonda m
HaroldRainfroy, Resident Manager at Eastern & Oriental Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

It is nice to hear of your pleasant experience and most importantly
you enjoyed your accommodation and facilities in our new Victory Annexe.

We are glad that we were able to give you a great impression on both
the product and services.

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you
back in the near future. It will be great to have you visit us again.

Krakow, Poland
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Hotel na najwyższym poziomie. Wszystko dopracowane , pokoje bardzo gustownie urządzone , łóżka duże i bardzo wygodne, obsługa wyśmienita, śniadania bardzo obfite, Polecam ten hotel.

Hotel at the highest level. Everything worked out, the rooms very tastefully decorated, the beds are large and very comfortable, the service excellent, breakfast very generous, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank KMM_Poland
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are grateful for
your appreciation of our hotel and that you would recommend to
others.

It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and we certainly look forward
to seeing you soon in the near future.

Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed August 3, 2013

My wife and I spent a week at the E&O in the Heritage Wing and enjoyed every minute. It is a classically styled hotel offering a high level of luxury at fairly reasonable prices. It is just a short few hundred metre walk to the start of Penang Road where a plethora of food and other shops are available.
The breakfast buffet was lovely, the rooms were always clean and tidy and all staff were pleasant.
The E&O also has another hotel at Batu Ferringhi (Lone Pine) with free shuttle between the two. This allows you to spend a day, or more, at the 'beach' for a change of scenery.
We would recommend the hotel for a relaxing time in Penang and would certainly stay again.

Room Tip: The ocean facing Heritage Wing rooms are lovely and quaint. The new Victory Wing high rise may not b...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John D
HaroldRainfroy, Resident Manager at Eastern & Oriental Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for this candid review.

There is nothing more rewarding than positive feedback from the
guests such as yours, and knowing how impressed you were with
your accommodation experience.

We are in a perfect location with close proximity to cafes, shops,
eateries and places of attractions and it was great that this helped
making your stay convenient and comfortable.

Breakfast is extremely important to us and our team of Chefs have
created a variety of dishes to suit any palate and we usually receive
many compliments on this.

Many guests appreciate the free shuttle bus service we offer for the
convenience to the Lone Pine Hotel, our sister hotel located at the
Batu Ferringhi beach..

Once again, thank you for staying with us and we look forward to
welcoming you back in the near future.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Had a getaway with momsy and sis at the hotel. Overall, very pleasant experience. Would I return again? Possibly but it depends on what you would like to get out of the Penang trip I guess.

What I really like:
1) The Victory Annexe is quite secluded or rather, the entire hotel feels private. You won't get screaming kids or the stressful feeling of crowds.
2) The cocktail hour aka pre-drinks is a plus. There's quite a good spread of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks. What's nice is having a drink in your hand while you enjoy the sea breeze and sunset.
3) The room is nicely furnished and should you decide to let some natural cool sea breeze in, you can off the air-conditioning and switch on the ceiling fan.
4) Breakfast spread is good, especially the fresh fruit juice. This is a surprise because most hotels would provide "fresh" fruit juice from a pack and not from a fruit juicer on the spot.
5) Good location, we manage to visit most tourist attractions by foot and they are around the hotel except for Gurney Drive.

What can be improved:
1) Nothing fantastic about the room service. Food quality and portioning can be improved.
2) TV channels, although you won't always stay in the room but having a good variety will be nice. They have a few paid TV channels, but they can improve on the list with more popular paid TV channels for the couch potato holidaymaker.
3) The decor is colonial and everything nice and luxurious but the factor that makes it a wow hotel that you'll visit all the time is not there I feel. The personal and warmth touch can be improved on.
4) There's no spa when you need a massage at the hotel =(

Good for a 2 night stay.

Room Tip: Choose the Victory Annexe Wing.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank sunflower_0987
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at the gorgeous E&O during my recent girly trip. Our check in was not up to my expectations. We were attended to by this young gentleman who check us in but we were not provided with much info regarding our stay there such as breakfast,lounge access, parking and most importantly the ongoing construction that is happening around the hotel proximity. The next morning we were woken up by the sound from the crane that is working on the site. After breakfast we decided to give our feedback to the duty manager. We were attended by the assistant front desk manager. A young gentleman, he introduced himself as Loong quietly sat us down and we were basically telling him our concerns. He was very professional. Apologized immediately and quickly filled us with important information and also to make sure that the construction starts at a later time for the comfort of our stay and of course the rest of the guests.A bottle of wine was sent to our room as service recovery. Our concerns were taken seriously and all staff was constantly checking on our comfort during our stay there. I must say being a 5 star hotel they have lived up to their standard and it is definitely worth a stay when in Penang. Their careful recovery has made our stay wonderful and we did not want to leave on the check out day! We will definitely come back!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Catherinellm
Malaysia
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I'd stayed at the E&O many years before, at the Heritage Wing (HW), and loved every bit of it. However, some mis-communication had happened on my own part and I had accidentally booked for the new Victory Annexe (VA) wing this time round. I was a little disappointed when I first discovered this during check-in because my stay at the older HW had been nothing but fabulous. I am also a sucker for "heritage-ish" stuff so I was apprehensive about staying in the more modern new wing.

My doubts were quickly dispelled when I arrived at my floor (Floor 12) and room. The new wing had been designed to look more or less the same as the older wing. The colours and decor were also similar. The room, although very different in layout to the HW rooms, were still very gorgeously decorated and spotlessly clean. It was also much brighter and airier than the HW rooms as the VA has higher floors. I loved the furnishings, especially the curtains which had such a soft, luxurious feel of a 5-star yet having that tropical 'beach resort' feel whenever the wind blew them. It also had a nice sitting area right next to the window, with a one-seater sofa couch and floor lamp, which was really nice and cosy to snuggle up with a good book or magazine. The bed was extremely comfortable, with really soft sheets and duvets. It was hard to get out of bed.

The hotel has also done a fine job in combining the old-world charm of Penang's colonial era with new and modern amenities. An example would be the bathroom with the clawfoot bath tub right smack in the middle, provoking a sense of grandeur and luxury, but also providing the rain shower - a modern feature. Another example would be the traditional-looking wooden study right next to the flat-screen TV and nespresso machine.

However, a few things about the room I did not like. Firstly, the switches took a full 15 minutes to figure out. There is a main switch at the bed for the bedroom area that has to be switched on first before the lights can be turned on - this took me a while to find out. The air-conditioning in my room (1203) also didn't seem to be working properly - at times, we didn't know if it was on or off as the room may be cool one minute but warm the next. We had to turn on the fan for ventilation which we didn't mind so much as we prefer warmer rooms, but I know it may be a problem for guests who prefer really cold rooms.

Unlike the HW room I stayed in last time, this VA room does not have a proper dining area. Hence, I needed to use the study table for meals. The HW room also had a proper, larger living area with a sofa for 2-3 persons and a coffee table, whereas this VA room only has a one-seater couch and no coffee table at all. However, the VA room does have a large balcony with a view, whereas the HW room did not have a balcony. The VA room was very large but I do remember the HW room to be slightly larger, although I may be mistaken.

As it was Ramadhan, I was fasting and had enquired as to whether I could convert my buffet breakfast into a sahor meal. They told me I could, but it would be a set ala-carte meal sent to the room instead of a buffet. The butler arrived with the meal promptly at my requested time, and I was really so happy with it. It was basically Malay food - white rice, "udang masak lemak", mutton soup, veggies, and kueh. For someone who eats very little during sahor, I finished up the entire meal! It was tasty, delicious and the highlight of my stay!

Service was what would be expected of a 5-star - fast, polite and efficient. I had called for extra toiletries and they were sent to the room within 5 minutes. However, I found the staff lacked a personal approach and although friendly and polite, did not seem to go the extra mile for us. Somehow, they did not seem like "family" and their friendliness felt too forced.

One staff I can greatly commend though would be Merlene at the E&O Gallery. She was the only staff who I felt was truly sincere in her service and I had a wonderful time chatting with her! I also think more work needs to be done to promote the E&O Gallery, which is situated at a very lonely corner in the VA lobby. I had to ask the reception counter where it was even though I had walked past it a few times!

Generally, I prefer the more intimate, quiet atmosphere and old-world ambience of the older HW building. The HW just has a more authentic, peaceful and personalised feel. I also remember the staff at the HW to be more sincere and helpful. Stay at the HW if you want the true authentic E&O experience, but go for the VA if you want higher floors and a brighter, more modern atmosphere. The VA also has the "club" facilities - a more private dining area and a nice infinity pool (also a modern feature of hotels) on Level 6, which the HW does not have.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Hard Rock Hotel Penang
Hard Rock Hotel Penang
#2 of 11 in Batu Ferringhi
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,955 reviews

Been to Eastern & Oriental Hotel? Share your experiences!