We spent a weekend at the E&O Hotel in Georgetown in June 2013. We stayed in a Deluxe Suite in the Heritage Wing, the main building and historical wing of the Hotel.
The Hotel does indeed a good job in providing that old-time colonial atmosphere which definitely enriches a stay in Georgetown. Location is also excellent, overlooking the Strait of Malacca, at a short walk from Georgetown’s UNESCO Heritage area.
Our Deluxe Suite (the entry level room in the Heritage Wing) was large, bright and airy with a comfortable bed, a large and functional bathroom and a wide and bright window opening over the Strait of Malacca. Quality of sleep was superb with no noises reaching us out into the room. Daytime in the room was also enjoyable thanks to the space, the brightness, the view as well as the airconditioning and the wi-fi working flawlessly.
Breakfast, served in a large lounge in the new wing, was excellent in term of variety but the place was overcrowded to the point of spoiling any atmosphere, resembling more likely the ambiance of an airport lounge during rush hour than the ambiance expected in a heritage 5-star hotel. We ate our breakfast as fast as we could and moved on to different places.
The swimmable pool on the terrace by the sea is a life safer in Georgetown hot afternoons. The pool is a unique feature and a real asset of the Hotel as I am not aware of any other properties in the same area with a swimmable pool right by the sea.
Service was attentive, far from our benchmark in this class, the Raffles Hotel in Phnom Penh, where the lobby staff knows you by name, but adequate for the grade. They were very kind in granting us a late departure and making us using the pool facilities until our time of departure in the late afternoon.
We have been many times to Georgetown and, all accounted, this is the best accommodation we have ever experienced in town. It is also the most expensive. We would consider returning a second time and, if it fits your budget, recommended.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as 'The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era. In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Fastbooking, Ctrip TA, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/George Town