I stayed one night at the hotel as I wanted to experience some "classic colonial feeling". The building is really nice, and the staff is generally good (with an exception that I will cover later). But somehow it is so obvious fake that it lacks something, I did not get the feeling I was after. It feels a bit plastic, that goes for everything, the service (it is not sincere), the renovation was just too much. It feels a bit like going to a italian mall in the middle east or seeing paris in Las Vegas.
The rooms are really nice, the breakfast was the best I had in Malaysia (and I had many good ones) and the staff reacts quickly.
One one occation though, just after arriving, and having tried to follow the signs from the car park, there are no clear signs all the way from the car park to the reception, so at a few places it was possible to go to the wrong direction. When this was pointed out to the reception staff, we were met with laughter, implying that "there cannot be anything wrong with this hotel, you must be stupid to go the wrong way". I find that behaviour unacceptable for a place like this!
General value for money: Not really, super nice, but there as nice hotels (with the same plasticity but no fake colonial heritage) for less money in the region. I would prefer them next time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as `The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era.In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, HotelTravel.com, Priceline, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Otel, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA and Odigeo so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/George Town