I booked online as a solo traveler and somehow accidently chose a twin bedroom instead of king. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the twins are actually singles. Paying the full price to sleep in a 'cot' was not my idea of 5 star treatment. Anyway reception agreed to move me. Although I asked if the new room had any problems like noise I was told no. So there I was at reception at 2 in the morning asking when the disco music from across the road would stop. A third room was found for me which at 3 in the morning finally met expectations. I had dinner in 1881. I will open a separate review on this, but it was really really bad. I wrote an email to the RM during the night and he came up to my room the next day with an assistant. They were polite and apologetic, but perhaps a little defensive. The RM did offer a special service in the restaurant for the following night but I declined. I felt the restaurant was beyond saving as I had a similar experience in it about 6 years ago. Im capable of self reflection, and I really think I am being fair here. On a positive note, staff were much better trained this time in vustomer service, and yes the hotel is an interesting colonial relic which is well maintained.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as 'The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era. In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Ctrip TA, Travelocity, Agoda, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Fastbooking, Prestigia, Hotel.de, HRS, Reservation Counter and Despegar.com so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/George Town