The E&O has been recommended to me on numerous occasions and with the opening of a new wing and the promise of free-flow wine in the evening I booked myself on the Saturday morning Firefly from KL all prepared for two days of relaxation.
The Victory Annex has only just opened but it blends seamlessly with the heritage hotel. There's a separate check-in and in many respects it's a separate hotel but in the new wing you get the sixth floor lounge, gym and pool area. And very good it all is too. I arrived early and my room wasn't ready but they let me up to the sixth floor and I was able to get my lunch and tan going. The check-in guy came up with my key a few hours later. The staff are exceptional. Everyone smiles and is friendly.
The new rooms blend in with the heritage feel of the place. I was on the 11th floor overlooking the bay and the view in the morning was beautiful. The new infinity pool area is a sun trap but loses the sun mid-afternoon. Loved the room. Had a relaxing bath late evening with the bath salts provided.
At 5pm in the lounge there is free-flow wine, beer, spirits and canapés until 7pm. No catch, help yourself. Makes the rate very good value indeed.
The next day I joined the hoards for the Sunday brunch (RM159 inc. free-flow wine, prosecco, margaritas and the like) which was also excellent value. Or at least I made it so.
Got to say, this is what all Malaysia hotels should be like. Only E&O and YTL seem to be able to manage hotels properly in this country and deliver international standards (E&O's Lone Pine is another favourite). Until next time boys :-).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as 'The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era. In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Hotwire, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and HRS so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/George Town