Stayed in the heritage wing at a price which I considered very reasonable considering the size of the room, actually a suite, and the fact we did have the services of a personal butler.
A few things could be improved on though: the bar lacks any kind of ambience, and is dark and gloomy. A huge screen was showing sport when I was there, which is not really what I expect in a hotel which is trying to capture the feel of a bygone era. Breakfast, whilst very comprehensive, is served in the new Victory Annex, which is a long walk from the rooms in the heritage wing.
This is probably nit-picking. Whilst the E&O is not Raffles, it's considerably cheaper, and well worth it to relax after a day's sight-seeing in Penang.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as 'The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era. In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Fastbooking, HotelTravel.com, Expedia, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Priceline, Travelocity, Ctrip TA, Agoda and Odigeo so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/George Town