We have just had a week at the E & O , our second visit, which confirmed our view of the E & O as one of the world's best heritage hotels. We stayed in a Writers Suite in the original section. The recreation of the Victory wing had just opened and it does complement the original design really well. Recreations can be nice, and this one is, but fans of heritage, who know that history is in the walls , will understand that the original is the best. The service is excellent - the turn down service at night is really in mini service replacing towels etc so you get two services a day. Breakfast is superb, with an incredible array of choices, including great local dishes cooked to order. It is an elegant place, with a sedate pace , the staff respond to a smile and friendly appreciation of their efforts and the occasional critics of E & O service might reflect on their attitudes and expectations in that regard. The criticisms of the E & O seem to come mainly from people with children and they are justified to this extent : the E & O doesn't have attractions for children and the lack of a kids playground might send a message. The pool is sedate , but delightful, and the guests there will be relieved when the kids go. If you are looking for a resort where kids can have fun go to one of the many excellent ones at Batu Ferrenghi, just 20 minutes cab ride away. The fine dining at "1885" is indeed fine, and the wine list modest but, again, elegant. The E & O is not cheap, but it is excellent value. Stay for your entire visit to Penang if you can. If you can't treat yourself to a night of two. Either way you will experience excellence not commonly found.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as 'The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era. In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Orbitz, Travelocity, Ctrip TA, HotelTravel.com, Expedia, Priceline, Fastbooking, Agoda and Odigeo so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/George Town