I stayed at the E&O when they first opened and was blown away by their cozy colonial elegance and classy opulence. I was keen to go back again and after many years, we found time to go. It was my husband's first time staying there and was looking forward to it after hearing about my memorable stay. Boy, were we disappointed!
We booked into their Georgetown Suite (#335), which was huge in size with a separate living room and dining area, bedroom, walk-in closet (a room in itself!) and a big bathroom. But it being so large, there did not seem to be enough furniture or interior furnishings to fill up the space! What furniture there were were tacky and cheap, much like a 3-star hotel's furnishing. Lighting was not sufficient for such a size, so parts of our suite were shroud in creepy darkness. The bed was also big but hard, and the pillows were much too soft and thin. The airconditioning was also arctic no matter how you adjusted it.
What irked us most was the noise - we had our baby with us and were assured that our suite which faces the city/main road would not be noisy as their latest refurbishment included double-glazed windows. This is NOT true - we heard every music beat playing from opposite bars, every car driving/horning by and each motorcycle rattling pass. We were also unfortunate enough to have the noisiest water pump in the planet above our suite, which clanked, hissed and sighed throughout the day and night. Our baby kept waking up throughout the night, as did we.
We were informed that breakfast would be served till 11am, but by 10.30am the food were not replenished and they began to start clearing the buffet trays away. That said, we enjoyed their freshly fried noodles and roti canai; and the buffet spread was good.
Service on the whole was acceptable but not particularly notable. You would expect staying at such a beautiful hotel paying these prices that your stay would be the most memorable one... But we beg to differ.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as 'The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era. In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Agoda, Orbitz, getaroom.com, Fastbooking, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/George Town