We (my husband and adult daughter and myself) have just come back from Christmas in Malaysia and Singapore. We stayed for four days over Christmas in the Herman Hesse suite at the Eastern and Oriental Penang. The hotel was wonderful, the suite was huge and we actually used about two thirds of the space. The suite had a dining and lounge area and a second toilet. The bathroom was very large with a claw bath and shower cubicle and two sinks. The bathroom opened on to the large balcony. The main room (bedroom with two double beds) also opened on to a balcony. Balconies were both facing the sea and were combined. We had Christmas lunch at the 1885 restaurant and it was superb, with fantastic service and food. Breakfast every day was included in our cost and was of a very high standard, especially considering how busy the hotel was at this time. Our fruit and home made chocolates were replenished every afternoon and housekeeping did a round late in the day to check that we were fully stocked with toiletries. Our suite was at the end of the building so perhaps that helped with noise levels, we found it very quiet and only occasionally were we disturbed by outside noise by people walking near the water outside our room. Of course this was easily fixed by closing the door to the balcony. The only negative for this hotel from my viewpoint was the hard beds. This seems to be a regular complaint for me, hotels beds are so hard, and it seems the more we pay, the harder the beds. Overall though a great place with lots of charm and wonderful staff, it might be the choice for festive celebrations for us again next year.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as 'The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era. In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, Agoda, HotelTravel.com, Priceline, Fastbooking, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Booking.com and Ctrip TA so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/George Town