We were blown away when we saw the size of the suite with windows opening on to the sea.
But beyond the grandeur
was a really hard uncomfortable bed.
Very little cleaning was done, only repleneshing of stuff.
Sometimes quite noisy from other rooms.
Breakfast was hit or miss. Some mornings lovely,
other mornings there were no eggs, the dahl curry was sometimes just coloured water and was often cold. Roti was only made to order and it was a long wait! The hot food wasn't always replenished quickly. No clean cutlery available between courses.
Evening buffet was a good selection.
The pool was nice.
The majority of the staff were nice.
Very few on-site amenities.
One can imagine staying here in a bygone era, it must have been lovely.
But this is not Asian 5 star.
Farquhar's bar had no atmosphere, hard seats and was very expensive.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as 'The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era. In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Ctrip TA, Fastbooking, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Expedia, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, Agoda, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/George Town