“Nostalgia with luxury” 5 of 5 stars

Eastern & Oriental Hotel
Ranked #10 of 77 Hotels in George Town
“Nostalgia with luxury”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We recently stayed at the E&O and were impressed. we were upgraded to a writers suite as the suite I had booked was above the main function hall over the Christmas weekend and the manager on duty felt it would be too noisy. The bar and pool dining was excellent and we found the peace and tranquility a real treat after visiting the beach and other city sights

The suites were well appointed and luxurious. The attention to detail was excellent and the staff were very helpful and courteous.

we will definitely return..

Room Tip: Mutiara Suite
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (839)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Trip was made in Oct/Nov period. So, following from memory.

Pluses :
1) Room was nice with a very nice bathroom - which was very lovely.
2) Very walkable - if you are exploring Georgetown - the location is good to walk from to almost everywhere in Georgetown.
3) Food was okay, with room service / breakfast.

Minuses :
1) Lobby was rather dim - not exactly a welcoming experience. More like a cold, uninhabited lobby.
2) Depressing surroundings - the shophouses around it are quiet or empty. The view of the sea(?) is nothing to crow about. But, this may be due to Georgetown.
3) Staff asked if it was okay to join to 2 twin bed together when I specifically asked for a queen/king bed on booking. I was rather surprised with the staff's suggestion given that it is a "5 star" hotel.

If my intent is to be in Georgetown, I will still pick Eastern and Oriental Hotel. Only because I dont think there is another more "luxurious" hotel around.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Annil_t
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

First of all my fiance and I would like to say a big thank you to those who helped make the surprise proposal happened!! It all began when we decided to celebrate my 29th bday in penang and at E&O .

Check in was a breeze, we were welcome by very friendly hotel staffs n later served welcome drinks before we were led to the hotel room. We booked the deluxe which we had the seaview.

On that very night, we had arrived at 1885 restaurant and again we were greeted by friendly hotel waiters and waitresses. Then after hourly chat and perfect dinner, there comes th surprise. My engagement ring was brought by a hotel staff on a bicycle .

We wanna thank Mr Rainfroy Harold, Jimmy , Ahmad , Adeline and those who were helping along and make this proposal successful . I was really surprised and n overwhelmed !

Keep up the superb service !

Cheers ,

Elaine & Gerald

Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Imagine having to change room late in the night with an infant in tow! That left a sour taste in our otherwise, enjoyable holiday in Penang. Upon arrival, we checked into room 308. Unfortunately, we only discovered the aircon was not working after returning to the room from our tour around the vicinity, which was around 8pm. The butler sent someone to our room to fix the aircon. It was unpleasant to have a repairman doing major repair work in our room while we were trying to settle our baby to sleep. Thereafter a chambermaid came into our room to clean up the mess and dirt caused by the repair work. All these activities going on in our room made it impossible for us to settle our baby to sleep! And the aircon was still faulty after all the hassle. By then, husband and I were worn out from the lack of rest, had not had dinner yet and a cranky baby missing her bedtime as there was too much stimulations going on in the room! Hence, the move to room 310 when all else fail. Imagine repacking our immense belongings back into the luggage for the move. I was already too exhausted to demand for a recompense for such a terrible experience offered by a 5-star (questionable) hotel. All we wanted was to settle baby to sleep, finished up our takeaway dinner which had already turned cold and unpalatable, shower and sleep. E&O did nothing thereafter to make up for our loss of rest due to a negligence in the upkeep of their room facility. Upon discharge, I had to make known the ordeal we went through and asked the manager for a satisfactory recompense. The response was disappointing, coming from a 5 star ( questionable again) hotel. The manager maintained that our room was changed and that in itself was the recompense for us.

The service I had received did not meet up to expectation. It is merely lip service when I read the manager's reply in tripadvisor to complaints from other guests that all guests are treated with utmost importance and will be given the highest level of service and product quality. Perhaps the level of service I was given is already E&O's highest level of service. If you intend to stay in E&O, I beseech you to think twice, thrice cos this bad experience happened very recently on 19 Dec 2012.

• 2 of 5 stars
11 Thank Donsousa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I booked a premier suite in this hotel for what was intended to be a relaxing weekend getaway with a friend. What we experienced though was quite the opposite.

We were given room 219. The room is large as advertised but it felt dark and rather spartan. Unlike in the photos on the hotel website, the living area did not have a fabric sofa set but was furnished instead with a distinctly uncomfortable set of cushion-less Chinese style hard wood chairs. The hotel has also it seems replaced curtains with heavy dark wood louvered doors which allow little natural light into the room. The bed was awful with a rock hard mattress and a thin blanket covered with a sheet. The bathroom/toilet is spacious but the fittings badly need maintenance. The hand held shower was faulty and the cistern leaked all night. Overall, for almost MYR1000/night, I felt that there was a distinct lack of luxury. However, the hotel being overpriced for what it offered was not the worst of it.

This last bit I've considered not including but decided on balance that potential guests should be warned that the rooms in this hotel might be inhabited by other entities. I have always been a bit of a sceptic, so when friends initially suggested that such an old hotel might be haunted, I laughed it off. However, after having been traumatised through the night by spectral disturbances at the E&O, I am no longer so cavalier about such things. At first light the next morning, we packed up, cancelled the rest of our stay at the E&O and moved to a newer modern hotel.

I did want to like this hotel but can’t really find a reason to recommend that anyone stay here unless you are specifically looking for a supernatural experience. The only positive thing I can say is that the service we had from the hotel staff during our short stay was excellent.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
17 Thank GenevaC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

The E&O Hotel has a lovely character, maintains its old charm. With a quiet stream of visitors, it is not noisy and rushed. The rooms are all suites and very spacious with aged and authentic furniture. The local food from their restaurant is not comparable to the true Penangite's but sufficiently good enough for tourists. Buffet breakfast has wide selection. Their high tea should not be missed.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I like this colonial style of hotel and found the decor to be really to be my taste. In some places I felt like the hotel was ageing, but for me that just adds to the authentic charm of the hotel, and still felt comfortable. Staff were all very helpful and polite too.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Hard Rock Hotel Penang
Hard Rock Hotel Penang
#2 of 12 in Batu Ferringhi
4.0 of 5 stars 2,679 reviews

Been to Eastern & Oriental Hotel? Share your experiences!