Imagine having to change room late in the night with an infant in tow! That left a sour taste in our otherwise, enjoyable holiday in Penang. Upon arrival, we checked into room 308. Unfortunately, we only discovered the aircon was not working after returning to the room from our tour around the vicinity, which was around 8pm. The butler sent someone to our room to fix the aircon. It was unpleasant to have a repairman doing major repair work in our room while we were trying to settle our baby to sleep. Thereafter a chambermaid came into our room to clean up the mess and dirt caused by the repair work. All these activities going on in our room made it impossible for us to settle our baby to sleep! And the aircon was still faulty after all the hassle. By then, husband and I were worn out from the lack of rest, had not had dinner yet and a cranky baby missing her bedtime as there was too much stimulations going on in the room! Hence, the move to room 310 when all else fail. Imagine repacking our immense belongings back into the luggage for the move. I was already too exhausted to demand for a recompense for such a terrible experience offered by a 5-star (questionable) hotel. All we wanted was to settle baby to sleep, finished up our takeaway dinner which had already turned cold and unpalatable, shower and sleep. E&O did nothing thereafter to make up for our loss of rest due to a negligence in the upkeep of their room facility. Upon discharge, I had to make known the ordeal we went through and asked the manager for a satisfactory recompense. The response was disappointing, coming from a 5 star ( questionable again) hotel. The manager maintained that our room was changed and that in itself was the recompense for us.
The service I had received did not meet up to expectation. It is merely lip service when I read the manager's reply in tripadvisor to complaints from other guests that all guests are treated with utmost importance and will be given the highest level of service and product quality. Perhaps the level of service I was given is already E&O's highest level of service. If you intend to stay in E&O, I beseech you to think twice, thrice cos this bad experience happened very recently on 19 Dec 2012.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as 'The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era. In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Expedia, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Cancelon, Fastbooking, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/George Town