Stayed here for 3 nights.
First impressions were of a wonderful colonial-style hotel of yesteryear. Spacious, elegant and with impeccable service.
The rooms are definitely spacious, with a large separate sitting area and huge bathroom hence the all suites appeal. Really did make me feel like I was in another age, the old fashioned switches for lights (imagine that), the comfy sofa, the reading light and the decor. A really pleasant change from the identikit designs of so many hotels these days.
If there was a minor point on the rooms, noticed the 3rd floor where I stayed had the smallest windows, not a huge amount of natural light. But then it's nice to have windows that can be opened.
As for food, I only had breakfast and a poolside snack. Breakfast was wonderful, with an outdoor or indoor choice by the sea. Pretty large selection, my favourite was the juice bar where they'll freshly squeeze your choice of fruit.
Poolside was nice, big enough to swim laps but the main attraction was lounging and enjoying the seaview and breeze. Smallish gym with basic range of equipment.
Bit unlucky to be staying when they had a wedding on..'boom boom boom' from the sound system till very late one night, whilst there's some construction work going on in a part of the hotel as well as the construction of a small pier which added a bit of noise, but overall still a lovely stay in a lovely hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as 'The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era. In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotwire, HotelTravel.com, Ctrip TA, Fastbooking, Travelocity, Agoda, Priceline, Asiatravel.com Holdings and Odigeo so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/George Town