With so many good reviews about this hotel, I, without hesistation, booked my stay here for 23 to 26 Dec 2007 (Christmas holidays) four months early.
From the moment I stepped into the hotel lobby, I was amazed by the interior design of the hotel. This is a very beautiful hotel; everything here seemingly arranged and designed to please our eyes -- nothing out of place or redundant. My suite was wonderful -- super clean, beautiful, large and comfortable. I have never stayed in a hotel room where its bathroom is almost as large as the bedroom! And throw in two wash basins! The shower was also bloody marvelous. The water pressure in the shower was very strong. How strong, you ask? Just say the pressure is powerful enough to wash your roof gutters and blow off tile grits! What I also liked about this hotel was the free valet car parking.
Penang is a food paradise so I didn't spend much time gorging myself in this hotel. Hotel breakfast was delicious; I especially liked the Japanese food section and the fruits.
However, there are a few bad points about this hotel. I found the hotel service slightly erratic -- something that shouldn't happen for this kind of hotel. All suites have butler service. But I first tried it (rang the butler bell for 5 continuous minutes) the butler didn't show up. However, when I checked out, I called the butler to help me with my luggage, and the butler promptly answered my ring (less than a minute). Secondly, I ordered room service one night (ordered a dessert at about 10 pm) and the dessert never showed up! This is poor service. And thirdly, if you are on a business trip, the business service in this hotel might be found wanting. There are 3 computers here and a miserable printer (which is only connected to one of the PCs).
Nevertheless, I enjoyed my stay here thoroughly albeit a few hiccups I found in this hotel. Highly, highly recommended.
Liked: Beautiful hotel. Large, comfortable rooms. Free valet parking. Powerful water pressure! Japanese food.
Disliked: Erratic service. Cheapskate business centre.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as 'The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era. In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Fastbooking, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Expedia, Agoda, Travelocity, Hotwire, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/George Town