“Very beautiful hotel”

Eastern & Oriental Hotel
Ranked #11 of 85 Hotels in George Town
Reviewed January 20, 2008

With so many good reviews about this hotel, I, without hesistation, booked my stay here for 23 to 26 Dec 2007 (Christmas holidays) four months early.

From the moment I stepped into the hotel lobby, I was amazed by the interior design of the hotel. This is a very beautiful hotel; everything here seemingly arranged and designed to please our eyes -- nothing out of place or redundant. My suite was wonderful -- super clean, beautiful, large and comfortable. I have never stayed in a hotel room where its bathroom is almost as large as the bedroom! And throw in two wash basins! The shower was also bloody marvelous. The water pressure in the shower was very strong. How strong, you ask? Just say the pressure is powerful enough to wash your roof gutters and blow off tile grits! What I also liked about this hotel was the free valet car parking.

Penang is a food paradise so I didn't spend much time gorging myself in this hotel. Hotel breakfast was delicious; I especially liked the Japanese food section and the fruits.

However, there are a few bad points about this hotel. I found the hotel service slightly erratic -- something that shouldn't happen for this kind of hotel. All suites have butler service. But I first tried it (rang the butler bell for 5 continuous minutes) the butler didn't show up. However, when I checked out, I called the butler to help me with my luggage, and the butler promptly answered my ring (less than a minute). Secondly, I ordered room service one night (ordered a dessert at about 10 pm) and the dessert never showed up! This is poor service. And thirdly, if you are on a business trip, the business service in this hotel might be found wanting. There are 3 computers here and a miserable printer (which is only connected to one of the PCs).

Nevertheless, I enjoyed my stay here thoroughly albeit a few hiccups I found in this hotel. Highly, highly recommended.

Summary:
Liked: Beautiful hotel. Large, comfortable rooms. Free valet parking. Powerful water pressure! Japanese food.

Disliked: Erratic service. Cheapskate business centre.

Chris.

3  Thank cbsteh
There are newer reviews for Eastern & Oriental Hotel

Reviewed January 14, 2008

From the moment you enter and are greeted with a cooling cocktail while your booking is processed, this hotel envelopes you with calm away from the busy streets of Georgetown. The history of the hotel is reason alone to stay there - (see Google) The rooms are tastefully and comfortably furnished and the bathroom is wonderful with two wash basins, large bath, separate toilet and a shower that gives you the feeling of standing under a waterfall...just wonderful. The hotel was spotlessly clean in every area I saw. The hotel was renovated extensively in l996, and the dining area has an unusual cafe atmosphere, but if you want you can dine on the terrace overlooking the water, or in a fine dining room - which we saw but did not try. The choice of menu was excellent, ranging from Malaysian, Indian to European and service excellent and even better, the price was very reasonable for such a lovely hotel. The swimming pool is lovely and as the hotel is close to all the main attractions in Georgetown, you can see them, and still have time to flop on the lounges with a cooling drink and a swim as the sun sets. We would go back there tomorrow.

Stayed: November 2007
6  Thank Rhonnie7
Reviewed January 13, 2008

Very attractive white colonial style hotel overlooking the sea. Great rooms and bathroom with separate shower cubicle and good quality toiletry products. Outstanding buffet breakfast: Probably one of the best we've ever experienced. Nice pool with plenty of good quality sunbeds overlooking the sea. Wasn't impressed by the service however, which although not bad wasn't good either. For example, when we checked in they forgot to bring our bags up so we had to go and retrieve them from reception and although I had specifically booked a double room, they gave us a twin so we had the hassle of having to change rooms the following day once a double became available. Also there were small things like forgetting the drinks we'd ordered. Our reservation supposedly included pressing of two items of clothing when we arrived, however, this wasn't offered as there was an iron and board in the room I didn't bother chasing. These experiences stop me from giving the hotel an excellent rating although they shouldn't put off anyone staying at the hotel because overall it was very nice and definitely the best hotel in Georgetown. We weren't very impressed with Penang though. It's not a particulalry attracive island, if you choose to do the circular drive of the island, as we did, with not a huge amount to see, although the funicular is a worthwhile trip. We felt the same about Georgetown although there are sufficient sights to keep you occupied for a day.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Jasmine101Surrey
Reviewed January 6, 2008

We stayed at the E&O from 27 December to January 1 2008. It is in a great location, with a constantly changing panorama of shipping - container, naval, ferry and fishing boats of all shapes and sizes. It well placed to walk to the historical sites in Georgetown and to reach shopping centres, if they are on your list.

Our room was made up for two rather than three and we had to produce paperwork to show that this had not been the arrangement. Housekeeping never managed to work out this might mean an extra set of towels would be needed - though they always brought them when asked. We asked for another chair for the balcony - you can see from the photo what happened! This seemed to set the tone really. The room was fine, beds comfortable etc.

The pool and garden area is quite small - sufficient for the guests in the hotel, which was nowhere near full. However, they do seem to have arrangements with non-residents, so it does get rather busy.

The staff were always very nice but there was an air of uncertainty and a lack of clarity about the way they worked. Once, when we didn't get coffee, someone came over to find out who was to blame - we didn't join in that game.

Breakfast did not meet 5* expectations. We did eat at Sarkie's Corner on the first night, as we arrived late, but did not do so again.

You need to be aware that the E&O is a heritage site to be visited when in Penang and the place is full, morning, noon and night, with parties of local people, business people, tourists from all over Penang etc. They run breakfast, lunch and dinner buffets every day and show English football in the bar. The 1885 restaurant has a rather grubby menu outside with extremely high prices displayed - if it all comes from the same kitchen then those prices will definitely not be justified.

However, we can recommend the Kashmir Restaurant - only a 15 minute walk away. Also the Nyonya restaurant called Hot Wok, which is a taxi ride. They were so helpful about what to order and it really was excellent. I guess both of these cost about GBP10 a head including a couple of beers. We also ate at 32 at the Mansion, which is a 5 minute walk from the hotel - just turn right and keep going past the musical hall and the small parade of shops. We booked there for New Year's Eve - it was excellent.

What happened next sums up what happens at the E&O. They had functions on at the two restaurants - they did the countdown about 4 minutes early, which is just silly, and then played extremely loud music until 1:30, (or was it 1:26?). Not quite what you need when you are getting up at 6:30 for a 20 hour journey home...

7  Thank Hampshire123
Reviewed January 2, 2008

Arrived at the hotel late at night , but check in was simple and quick the duty manager even offered to keep the restaurant open so that we could have some food, but we opted for room service instead.

Rooms are huge and the bathrooms are something else, the seating area was large , sofa , chair, large desk , coffee table, 36" TV.Bedroom area is also large and has another large TV. Butler service is quick and efficient.

Breakfast is buffet style but one of the best that I have had in Malaysia, and the evening buffets are very popular and it would be wise to book your table.

Warning the bar prices can do your wallet some very serious damage!!

Swimming pool is a bit on the small side but what you would expect from a city centre hotel. Gym and the steam rooms are ok.

Staff were always cheerful and very helpful.

All in all would recommend this hotel in fact i would suggest go now before prices go through the roof

Stayed: December 2007
4  Thank truckeruk
Reviewed January 1, 2008

The hotel is great and the rooms are huge. The business facilities in this hotel is bad. It would be great if I can use free wifi while sitting at the seafront! But I have to pay for the wifi access which is only available within the proximity of my room. The breakfast is good while the butlers are good too. The managers react promptly to any complains or comments. Overall the experience is positive.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank SirGoofy
Reviewed December 31, 2007

The services was surprisingly poor for such a highly rated hotel. We were there for 3 nights. They could find only one of our reservations, we had reserved 2 adjacent rooms as we are a family of four. Took a while to find the other room. When asked why we could not have adjacent rooms, they told us that we had different surnames which was not true. When I pointed this out to them, they them mentioned that we had a very common surname. Breakfast is supposed to start at 6.30 am. We had breakfast at various time, ranging from 7.30 to pass 9.00 during our stay and they were unprepared all three mornings. There is no concierge service and the reception staff is not well informed to be really helpful. The rooms indeed are very large and comfortable and the hotel is well located.

3  Thank ppl
#16 of 85 in George Town
The Edison George Town, Penang
Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La
Hotel Jen Penang by Shangri-La

Been to Eastern & Oriental Hotel? Share your experiences!