My wife & I returned to the E & O with a close friend for four nights in early March. We had ‘sold’ our friend on the idea of breaking her journey from Sydney to London by staying at the E & O.
To keep costs down for her I researched the cost of the Java Suite rather than using two standard rooms. The cost of the suite was lower than the two rooms so I booked it for the four nights. The suite is on the first floor (second floor for American readers), it is 258 sq mtrs and has two full size king bedrooms, which are both en-suite. The larger of the two also had a dressing room with enough storage space for a family. This area allowed my wife and I to fully unpack, as one wall of storage (drawers, cupboards etc) was hers and the other wall was mine.
The suite also has a small dining area and sitting room. In addition it has a full size kitchen, large entrance hall and an office work area, as well as a decent size room that could be used as a storage room for stowing suite-cases etc. I had plenty of exercise walking from the main bedroom to the kitchen each time I wanted a cup of coffee. The place was BIG!
The E & O have expanded in to other areas that they have owned for some years, but didn’t use. The new area is called the Victory Annex where we had the Saturday evening buffet dinner. As much as you can eat, with wine, for a set price. I asked if the rooms above the Victory Annex were available, but was told that they were not ready for use, yet.
Breakfast was outside on the patio in the heritage area (the original area of the hotel), a must if you want to watch the sunrise and the ships arriving and leaving harbour. In the evening most people sat outside the Farquhar Bar and watched the sunset as the lights of the town and the passing ships allowed ones mind to drift to times past.
As usual the overall service was first class and the E & O is still our favourite hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as 'The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era. In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Ctrip TA, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Agoda, Priceline, Fastbooking, HotelTravel.com and Asiatravel.com Holdings so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/George Town