Cititel Penang
Federal Hotel(George Town)
  • Restaurant
Hotel Malaysia(George Town)
View Hotel
Muntri Grove Hotel(George Town)
Hotel Continental(George Town)
Waldorf Hotel(George Town)
1,101 results
All reviewsred gardendeluxe roomwithin walking distancelor bakfamous nasi kandarsea viewchowrasta marketnon smokingceiling fancendolfree cat buscheck in was quicknight lifehigh floorcorner roombuffet breakfaststrategic location
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Excellent service, courteous staff and nice hotel. Stayed in a standard twin room for 4 nights and would absolutely stay there again! Right across the road from the free bus, close to restaurants of all types and close to Georgetown attractions.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank thisurij
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2014

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

I trust that you and family had a good trip home.

THANK YOU for giving us the full score on the TripAdvisor rating and I am very happy to know that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us at Cititel Penang - it is most rewarding to know that we have exceeded your expectations.

Your comments are our best recommendation and my team and I look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon for yet another fulfilling stay.

With best wishes and kind regards

Reviewed July 25, 2014

We spent the first 2 nights at Four Points then moved to this hotel near the heart of Georgetown. If you look for convenient location to visit all the attractions, look no further. It's a big hotel for Penang's standard if not the landmark of this area as you can be directed by bus driver or locals the direction to this hotel. Attractions are just steps away to me. You can also take the free city bus "CAT" just outside the hotel to many places if you are willing to wait.

The hotel room I stayed is newly refurbished but the job was half done from works in the bathroom. It can be due to budget. Other than this, all its good points exceed this negative experience. Hotel breakfast is reasonable and can be a draw for visitors new to Malaysia.

The hotel can be seen from distance for its height. It does not look very nice for the poorly design and ageing external but it is better when you walk in the lobby.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for seaview rooms as there is nothing to see in the hazy Penang. Just save the money for better food. Also ask for refurbished room which has better guarantee of smoke free smell.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Good_Partner

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for your kind review of our hotel and am delighted to know that you have enjoyed exploring our heritage city.

We are delighted to share that we are presently upgrading the bathrooms in our guestrooms on a floor-by-floor basis, which I hope will be to your liking when you next stay with us.

Thank you for sharing and we look forward to welcoming you back to Cititel Penang soon.

With kind regards

Reviewed July 24, 2014

I needed a break out of my crazy, work and work and more work life that I booked a one day stay with Cititel. Firstly, I did not call in. Secondly, I did not make early reservations so this was me walking in and hoping there are rooms. Of course, there is no harm in doing this when your company has corporate rates in a few hotels.

Cititel needs to work on their car park. Car park for hotel guests is free but it needs to be upgraded or cleaned a lot more. Access to the hotel lobby is not an issue.

Cititel lobby is clean and since they have opted for white, I would have to say they did a good job in maintaining the cleanliness. Lobby bathrooms have got to stop smelling like they left the urine overnight.

Since I am a walk in, the check in was still a breeze. Easy without any fast. Receptionist was quite nice and it made checking in non stressful.

I think the part that I love most about this hotel is that they gave me a feeling of security. In order to get to any level of the rooms, you need a key card. This is a plus point for Cititel.

My standard room view was okay. The view is to be understood as Cititel is a city hotel. Windows were clean, air cond was good, bathroom was clean and it is cosy. The bed is great for one person but for two, it could feel a bit cramp. Not much moving space in the room but at least, the TV is directly facing the bed.

Cititel's location to the Soho club, local food, church, etc. made this hotel a great place to stay in. Also, for hotel standard, Cititel's restaurant is really really affordable especially the buffet. The service of the restaurant staff could use some improvement since they seem to be more interested in placing the food than taking customers orders. The food variety is good.

Check out was a breeze as well. Overall, Cititel is a great hotel if you are up for some fun, shopping, eating and a busy filled day.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise Checking out the restaurant pricing would be beneficial because outside food will be expensive if you have kids If you don't like sun, please choose a room in the west as to avoid early morning sun.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank liloldminime
Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

I had booked a superior room and requested for a no smoking, sea facing room that was on a higher floor and had a queen bed (no twin beds). When I checked in, they gave me everything. The room was nice even though it was missing the bidet they promised in the room description during booking.
I had booked a room without breakfast as it's Penang and there are a number of nice local eating places around the area. It even has an excellent food court diagonally opposite (left side) to the hotel.
There was only one drawback. While the hotel is in Georgetown, I wish I was staying closer to the real centre.

Stayed: July 2014

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for your review of our hotel during your recent stay in Penang and am glad that your requests were attended to at check in. All our bathrooms are fitted with a bidet (at the side of the bathroom wall) and I regret to note that you mentioned there wasn’t one in your room.

Many of our guests are pleasantly surprised at how convenient it is to move around from here for shopping, dining and even sight-seeing, be it by foot, by trishaw, by car or by public transport.

I trust that you have enjoyed our famed Penang hawker fare during your stay and I do hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back again for another stay soon.

With kind regards

Reviewed July 16, 2014

Have stayed in this hotel many years ago. Stayed there for a night last week(11 July). The major plus point for this hotel is the location which is near many good street food stalls, kopitiam(local coffeeshops) and the various heritage sites. It is a 5 minutes walk to the famous Penang Road cendol stall(a local dessert of ice, brown sugar and coconut milk) and while you are there, you can order a bowl of assam laksa from the coffeeshop next to it(Joo Hoi coffeeshop). Assam laksa is a noodle dish where the broth is made from fish and various spices. The hotel is also within walking distance(about 15 mins) from another popular food street, Macalister Road where you can find various stalls selling local street food. Look for Lorong Baru where there are many stalls that open in the evening till late.

Other than food, this hotel is also within walking distance to various UNESCO heritage sites like temples, mansions, churches, mosques and those restored shops. Nearby is also the famous street art in Armenian Street, though the walk maybe tiring if the weather is hot. Better to go by bus where you can catch it from the bus stop opposite the hotel. For an added adventure, you may like to take a ride on the ricksaw which you can find many stationed by the roadside next to the hotel.

Overall, this hotel is in a strategic location if you do not have a car to use as public transport is nearby, food is readily available and many places to visit.

One point to note if you are driving is the badly designed car park which has narrow parking space and the steep driveway from level 1 to 2.

Room Tip: Ask for a non smoking room if you are not a smoker. There are a number of floors designated as non smoking rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2014

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.
Thank you for staying with us again and I am glad to note that you have enjoyed Penang’s signature ‘makan stalls’ whilst here.
Many of our guests are very surprised at how convenient it is to move around from here for shopping, dining and even sight-seeing, and as you have mentioned, be it on foot, by trishaw, car or public transport.
Thank you again for sharing - my team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Cititel Penang on your next visit.

With best wishes and kind regards