“Big Lobby”

Ranked #21 of 84 Hotels in George Town
Hong Kong, China
“Big Lobby”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

Walking through the door U will be amazed by the big lobby. Hotel it self is not too bad, rooms are a bit smaller when compared with Bayview, but location again is much better. Stayed on the 6th floor. Internet is a bit slow in the evening, but I could live with it. Room contained everything you need and an iron which saves a call to the room service. Overall rooms kept clean.

Parking wise, it is free but you need to pay RM4 upon arrival and will be refunded when you leave. If staying for a few days, in and out of car park tell the teller you already paid he will ask for receipt as proof but saves U from getting confused with the refunds.

Hope this review helps

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Kwok C
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, March 10, 2014

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for your review of Cititel Penang – very glad to know that you like the location of our hotel, our services and facilities.

My team members and I look forward to welcoming you back to Cititel Penang on your next visit and our sincere thanks once again for sharing your experience with us.

With best wishes and kind regards,
Tony Goh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

We came for a 4D3N stay and we were very impressed with the excellent service provided. Everyone served with a smile and most importantly, we felt the sincerity from all. Room was clean and it came with a sea view. Transportation service was prompt and efficient too! Great job!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, March 9, 2014

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

I am delighted to read your review and sincere thanks your kind words of our team’s services and hotel facilities.

My team and I are truly glad to know that you have had an enjoyable time here and we look forward to welcoming you and your friends back again for yet another fulfilling stay.

With kind regards
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Stayed there for 2 nights (3/3 - 5/3 the service was awesome despite the troubles and problems and of course the noise from my relatives from china. Great service from France & Jovin during check in and of course I really need to THANK Jovin alot for always was there to solve my problems! Thank you very much for the patients of my relatives that creates so much noise. Of course to thank Abi as well to help to carry our baggage during check out.

There is some complaints from my relatives that the leaking of the air-conditioner in room 732 made my grandma fell in fronts of the toilet in the morning Please make sure that rooms and facilities to be safe for old folks. I hope it could be better!
I realize that there is no surveillance and a life guard in the pool area. What if there is accidents happened in the pool? (just a thought)

Overall the service was good! & I apologize for the noise created from my relatives. Thank you very much for the good service and of course the toleration!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Ms Cheng

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank for your review – we are glad to know that you and family had an enjoyable time here. I have shared your kind comments with Franz, Jovan and Abi with much pride.

I am sorry to know of your Grandmother’s fall during her stay here – I sincerely apologise for the untoward incident and hope that your Grandmother has recovered well since.

Thank you for your observation at our pool area - we do have a signage within the pool area, cautioning our guests to be extra careful as there is no lifeguard on duty,

My team and I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Cititel Penang again, Ms Cheng, and please do not hesitate to contact me directly at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be of further assistance.

With best wishes and kind regards
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

Booking online was hassle free, and staff were polite and make checkin very smooth and pleasant.

Rooms are OK, but we are not that particular as long as it is clean.

Location
1. Food - just opposite there is the Red Garden. Food there is so so. Luckily there are plenty of coffee shops nearby which ate all good
2. Free bus - there is a bus stop opposite the hotel where you can catch the free shuttle bus or other buses directly to Penang Hill or Gurney Drive
3. Taxi - taxi stands are just opposite and its easy to get cab if you do not wish to wait for public buses.
4. Attractions - Blue mansion is just nearby and you can walk north to the seaside

While we were there, gym is under upgrading so we weren't able to use that.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GX7714
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, March 5, 2014

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for taking the time to share the experience of your stay with us and I hope that you had a pleasant journey home.

I am most delighted to know that you had a great time in Penang and thank you for the kind compliments on our services during your stay.

Our hotel location is indeed one of the best-selling points and many of our guests share your opinion on how easy it is to move around from Cititel Penang, be it for sight-seeing, dining or shopping. I hope you had great time exploring our heritage city.

I am sorry to note that you were unable to use the Gymnasium due to its upgrading. We are extending the total area of the gym and will be adding more equipment to complement the existing set-up. I do hope that you will take the opportunity to try it out the next time you stay with us.

I look forward to welcoming you and your partner back to Cititel Penang again soon.

With kind regards,
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Travelling with 3 adults and 2 small children.
We arrived in the Cititel Penang around mid-afternoon for a two night stay in Georgetown before heading up the coast for some beach time at Batu Ferringhi.
On arrival I was a little surprised as we unloaded some heavy bags from the car to find that we had to move them into the foyer ourselves despite two guys from the concierge /bell desk hanging around just inside the door. To be fair when then noticed us in the foyer they ran over to help and were friendly and cheerful but one would think they should be actively looking for arriving guests rather than chatting.
A minor thing but one for this otherwise very good hotel to think about.
At the reception desk the contrast was notable - I didnt get the young man's name but he was a credit to his company - he welcomed us professionally and explained that he had organised adjoining rooms as per our request but offered us the opportunity to upgrade ( I never have any issue with this offer if its optional and reasonably priced as it was in this case). He offered us the Superior room for an agreed increased price but upon checking found that the adjoining superior rooms were sold out so upgraded us further to the deluxe with no further increase in price. Friendly, professional and courteous - well done.
The rooms are a little smaller than some other "international" class hotels but comfortable and well enough equipped, particularly given the reasonable price. We had a high floor with rooms with views both north to the Andaman sea and east to the bridge and mainland.The TV has a good selection of premium channels and room service is reasonably priced.
We had the buffet breakfast on the second day and I was impressed by the variety, range and quality, all for a very reasonable price (from memory 35 MYR ) and both of our kids ate for free.
When staff saw me trying to seat my 2 year old and tuck a napkin round him as a makeshift bib, they came over and provided a baby seat, kiddie plates and spoons and a colourful bib to keep him clean - a nice touch.
We also spent some time in the cocktail bar which is pleasant and well priced for some nice adult time.
The hotel has a small indoor pool which is perfectly fine for a short dip after a day exploring but a little too small to spend any extended time in - in addition the gym next door to the pool was being refurbished meaning a pretty constant stream of workmen with wheelbarrows walking on the poolside. Not really a complaint as they have to upgrade sometime and they were as inconspicuous as they could be.

One of the biggest assets for this hotel is the location which is across the road from the Red Garden food area (although note this doesnt get up and running until 6.30 pm or so) and a short (2-3 minute) walk from the historic streets of Old Georgetown.
All up we were very pleased with our stay and would have no hestitation in recommending the Cititel to friends or indeed staying again on a return trip to Georgetown.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank swbhoy
Dear Mr Wilson

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for writing in – I am indeed very pleased to note that you and your family have had a most enjoyable stay here and my sincere thanks for your kind and gracious comments about our hotel team members and the service rendered.

I have shared your comments with Calvin, (our Front Office colleague) and commended him for projecting the core pillars of our brand essence and service strategy when attending to you and your family upon your check in.

That said, I must apologise for our shortcomings when you arrived - I have had a word with our Front Office Manager to ensure that our concierge team be more attentive and focused at the front.

Nevertheless, it is really heartening to learn that you and your family had a pleasant time during your stay and thank you for your recommendation.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Cititel Penang again and please do not hesitate to contact me directly at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be of further assistance.

Until then, my best wishes for the year ahead.

With kind regards
Glastonbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel several time during the previous 3 years and each time I feel welcomed and my preferences remembered. Its the little things that matter such as a willingness to store my luggage for 12 months! The staff take a genuine interest in their clients and remember details of work and family so one feels really welcomed.

The chef was particularly helpful in locating gluten-free food and seeking to understand it better. Breakfast is great with plenty of everything and customised omelettes 'just right'. I like the abundance of fresh tropical fruit as well as the quite ordinary things like porage. They know my favourite room and always try to find it for me.

The location is excellent with every amenity close to hand.

Room Tip: Try to book sea-view in advance as it is stunning! However I have not had a poor room there.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear Dr Jennings

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

It was good to have you back to stay with us - thank you for your gracious comments about our team members, services and facilities and for giving us the full score.

I am very pleased to know that we have exceeded your expectations during your stays with us and your appreciation is great motivation to all of us.

My sincere thanks once again, for taking the time to share your experience at Cititel Penang and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Penang.

With warmest wishes and kind regards
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Booked the Cititel many months ago for a 14 days visit. We turned up and we wanted a water view. We were shown to a smoking room with a view which, at the time we accepted, as there was no obvious smoke smell however the longer we stayed in the room the stronger the smoke smell got. To be fair that was our fault however our real problem was the size of the room. It was far too small and it appears that all rooms in the hotel are the same size. The reception area and the breakfast area had a strange dirty smell and we checked out the following day to stay at the Bayview Georgetown, just around the corner. To be fair the staff were extremely friendly and very concerned with our comfort. They even assisted us to arrange alternative accommodation.
I think if we had been placed in a non-smoking room and had plans to stay for only a couple of days the Cititel would have been fine.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brentwood_Resort

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us and I trust that you had a good trip home.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment encountered during your recent stay with us. I regret that our hotel does not have a totally smoke-free environment policy but please be assured that our Maintenance Manager and Housekeeper are always looking into improving the air quality of our public areas and in our guestrooms constantly.

I am also sorry to note that our rooms are too small for your liking – may I recommend our Corner Rooms for your next stay here; they are located at the corners of our guestroom floors and are bigger in terms of room size. I do hope you will consider this category for your next stay.

My sincere thanks for writing in as it is through your kind feedback and observations that we can continuously improve and ensure that our guests enjoy their stay with us.

My team and I look forward to be given another opportunity to make amends and look forward to welcoming you back to Cititel Penang again soon.

Please do not hesitate to contact me at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be of assistance in planning for your next trip to Penang.

With best wishes and kind regards