“excellent”
Review of Cititel Penang

Cititel Penang
Ranked #20 of 88 Hotels in George Town
Reviewed September 24, 2013

what i like most is the staff.. very helpfull and friendly.
the room is clean.
the food is just nice.have alot of choices.
the ambient is overall very good
the location in the middle of town, easy for food-hunting, sightseeing and shopping

1  Thank nurul556
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for your gracious comments about our hotel services and facilities and it is indeed a delight to know that you have had a totally fulfilling stay with us. I have proudly shared your comments with my team members and all of us look forward to welcoming you back to Cititel Penang on your next visit.

With kind regards,

Reviewed September 19, 2013

The Cititel Hotel is central to Georgetown, about 5-10 minute walk from the Butterworth Ferry. It is an older hotel with a magnificent entry and reception area, taking one back to more salubrious times.

The reception staff were professional courteous and extremely professional. My room allocation could not have been more efficient.

The room (0727) was a large room with a wonderful view of the river. The room is dated, but comfortable with 2 single beds, air conditioning, ceiling fan, free WIFI and a colour TV with a variety of channels. Sadly, it does not have a room safe.

There were some problems with the WIFI connection, especially during the evening, but being on vacation I am not sure that is what should determine my life or the adequacy of the hotel. If you want 100% Internet connection either buy one you can trust or don’t come to SEA!

The bathroom is old style, with a bath – heavenly. Having finished a 11 km run with the Penang H3, it was really nice to sooth the aching muscles in a hot bath. Showers, which the room has, are more appropriate to cleanliness, but a hot bath certainly helps tired muscles.

The breakfast area is huge and provides nearly every available style of food that should satisfy European, Middle East and Asian guests. The restaurant staff members are friendly and accommodating.

The gym is slightly inadequate for real fitness freaks, but should suffice for the average traveller. The pool on the other hand, when added to its spa potential is excellent.

Overall this hotel is real value for money, close to the river, the Butterworth Ferry and easily accessible to many/ most of the Penang tourist sites, some of which are in walking distance. To get an idea of where the hotel sits in relation to Georgetown go to the 3rd floor gym and look out of the window. To the left behind the hotel (facing) you can see the Mast from the Fort and to its right the Clock Tower and further right the Ferry Terminal The shape of the hotel is easily distinguishable being narrower than most other buildings also of an evening it has a blue light stripe around its roof for easy identification.

The ‘free city bus’ and the Penang Hill bus services stop outside the front of the hotel, approximately 25 metres to the left as you exit the hotel. I will certainly recommend this hotel to other travellers and WILL stay there the next time I visit Penang.

Room Tip: I stayed in 0727, which had a nice view of the river
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank AllanKorat
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Dear Alan

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for your positive comments about your recent stay with us and of our services, facilities and location and thank you for giving us full marks here on Trip Advisor as well as on our online guest questionnaire. I am truly grateful for your kind words and have shared them with my team here with much pride.

Glad to know that you had a great run with the Penang H3 and hope that you will be back again soon.

Thank you for recommending our hotel and my team and I look forward to welcoming you back for another fulfilling stay at Cititel Penang on your next visit.

Until then, best wishes from all of us at Cititel Penang.

With kind regards

Reviewed September 17, 2013

I have stayed in Penang many times this being the first time in Georgetown. I found the staff excellent and very friendly. Especially Athirah and Syahirah they are a credit to your hotel and you should be very happy that they represent your hotel so professionally .Would stay here again.

Mr Philip

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Dear Mr Diffley

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for writing and I am happy to note that you had an enjoyable stay here during your recent visit. I have conveyed your kind comments about Althirah and Syahirah to them with much pride - It is through these comments and feedback that inspires us to continue to give our best in providing a totally fulfilling experience for all our guests - thank you.

I appreciate it very much that you chose to stay with us and my team and I look forward to welcoming you back for many more visits to Penang.

Sincere thanks for your recommendation on TripAdvisor..

With kind regards,

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Here now for 3 nights on business. One more night to go. Location is good. Everything else defines the every essence of the word average. First, their slogan is 'Your business friendly hotel'. I have no idea why they print this everywhere as nothing about the hotel is particularly business friendly. Alright, here are my observations.

In room Wifi - Free. That's nice. The problem is that it is extremely slow at times - like 20 seconds to open a text only email in Gmail. In the end I had to pay for their mobile internet service, which is much faster and costs RM 55 for 3 GB usage.

I booked a deluxe room. Nice view of the sea, but everything is very dated.

Bathroom - Bathtub is tiny and a bit dirty. You wouldn't actually take a bath here. Water pressure is very low.

Aircon - Freezing even on the maximum 30 degrees.

Fan - Has two modes - OFF and HELICOPTER. God only knows why they don't have a switch that allows you to set the fan to low. It would be nice to use instead of the aircon.

Bed - Comfortable enough, but nothing special.

TV - A handful of channels.

The breakfast is, well, very average. The quality of the food is not great and the variety isn't there either.

When you see the pool and 'gym' and think back to the images on their website, you will understand the wonders of wide angle photography. Both are very small - the gym consists of a treadmill, two benches, and a cheap universal weight machine. There is a sauna and steam that looked alright. But a hotel this size should have a real gym with 20 or 30 pieces of equipment. Also, note that the pool is indoors so if you want to get some sun, you're out of luck.

The staff are friendly.

Overall, it's just very average, although as states, the location is pretty good. I'm not sure if I would stay here again. They need to upgrade a number of things and then I probably would.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent stay with us and I hope that you had a good trip home.

My sincere apologies for the inconveniences and the disappointment encountered during your stay with us - I appreciate your taking the time to list the areas of improvement which I have immediately looked into.

The fan speed control is located under the bedside table and should have been set at the lowest speed at all times - my apologies for our lack of attention in this instance, as with the thermostat control for the air-conditioning.

I am looking into the possibility of extending the space of our gym to accommodate a few more pieces of exercise equipment and upgrading the bathroom is also in our plans for the coming year.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write as it is through continuous feedback that we are able to objectively review our facilities and services we provide to ensure that they meet and hopefully exceed our guests’ expectations.

It is my fervent hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back to Cititel Penang again soon and please do not hesitate to contact me at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be of further assistance with your next reservations.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

My second time staying at Cititel Georgetown, both also for work.

Both times also booked online - to enjoy the special rates. However, the second time (this round) booking, the rate has doubled. Well, I love walking about in this area, Penang Road, Campbell Street etc for the arts, historical values, and of course food.

The online booking was smooth, for both times.

The check-in was fast, maybe because I have key-in all my details online. Front desk personnel was helpful.

Booked Deluxe room as advertised below:-
IN YOUR DELUXE:
* Air conditioning with individual temperature control
* Bidet
* Ceiling Fan
* Complimentary coffee/tea making facilities
* Complimentary WiFi for 2 users per room daily.
* Daily replenishment of bottled mineral water
* Full room amenities
* Key card access/security lock
* LCD TV with satellite channel
* Long bath and shower
* Mini refrigerator

The room has everything it advertised, except bidet and in-house movie. And perhaps one more is the low floor I am in.

Other comments about the hotel:-
1. The water hole is too close to the toilet. You are for certain to step on it. Very inconvenient and unhygienic

2. In-movie - if the hotel is referring to Fox Movie, then that is not the in-house movie.

3. Vision Four - Cititel should just unsubscribe it

4. The ceiling fan only comes in one speed - highest, and not adjustable

5a. WiFi - seems to have a quota. Come on Cititel??

5b. WiFi - Only can browse to certain sites - downloading, sending emails, out of luck

6. Shower - no super jet like, unlike Tune Hotel, probably at fraction of the cost.

7. Pillows, bed - really hard to sleep on. That is why I am awake to key-in this review

8. Noisy bed - Yep, noisy. Whenever I turn, there is noise.

Overall, the hotel is pleasant to stay, although the lifts seems rather slow. Last night dinner seen quite a long queue waiting to get back to hotel rooms.

Ok, that's it.

Room Tip: 1. Go for non-smoking room 2. Avoid too close to smoking floors. Really stink
1  Thank SamuelTan

Dear Mr Tan

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for writing and for sharing your positive comments of our service team and hotel location. however, it is with regret to learn that your recent stay was not up to your expectations.

I apologise for the shortcomings of the set-up in your room; the room’s fan’s speed control is located under the bedside table and have advised my Housekeeper to ensure that it is tuned to the lowest speed at all times, and yes, Vision Four is our in-house movie channel. Fox Movie is one of the satellite TV channels that we subscribe to.

We have been experiencing some issues with our wifi connectivity of late and are working to resolve it – my apologies for the inconvenience. I am sorry that the condition of our pillows kept you up; we do have a selection of pillows from our Housekeeping Department and regret that you were not informed about this during your stay.

I regret that I did not have the opportunity to meet with you during your stay with us which I am sure, would have enabled me to correct the situation, leaving you with a more positive impression.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write as it is through your feedback that we can continuously strive to improve and ensure that our guests enjoy their stay with us.

My team and I look forward to having you stay with us again and to have another opportunity to serve you better. Please do not hesitate to contact me at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be of further assistance.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed at the Cititel in August. It's in a very handy position in Georgetown an easy walk to restaurants and transport. The "delux" room I booked was an extremely reasonable , it wasn't big but it had everything needed including a jug and fridge and a lovely city view. The linen was white and of good quality and the bathroom was well maintained. Extra pillows would have made the beds more comfortable . The staff were helpful and efficient. It's very handy having a swimming pool, which the Cititel does. It's not a very attractive pool, being indoors surrounded by white tiles, but it was clean and cool. The only problem here is that the WIFI is very bad. Slow and almost non existent. They need to fix it

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts – I am very happy to note that you have had a most enjoyable stay here and my sincere thanks for your kind and gracious comments about our hotel team members and the service rendered.

I apologise for the shortcomings during your stay – I am presently reviewing the system and am confident that the connection will be up to par when you next stay with us. I also regret to know you were not kept informed that a selection of pillows are available at our Housekeeping Department when required.

Nevertheless, I do hope that these issues did not detract you from your overall enjoyment of your holiday and my team and I look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us on your next visit to Penang.

Until then, my best wishes for a great weekend ahead.

With kind regards

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Centrally located. Easy to travel around the city area for good foods, sightseeing and work out (can start jogging towards Esplanade and then Beach Road, the return via Chulia Street or run into Kimberly Street then walk thru Cintra Street market and back to hotel)

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank BeforeJuly
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for your positive comments of Cititel Penang - it is wonderful to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Looks like you know your way around our heritage city! You might want to consider bicycling instead the next time you are here – we can arrange the bike for you too!

My team members and I look forward to welcoming you back to Cititel Penang on your next visit and our sincere thanks once again for sharing your experience with us.