“Defines the word 'average'” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Cititel Penang
Ranked #20 of 82 Hotels in George Town
Bangkok
“Defines the word 'average'”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

Here now for 3 nights on business. One more night to go. Location is good. Everything else defines the every essence of the word average. First, their slogan is 'Your business friendly hotel'. I have no idea why they print this everywhere as nothing about the hotel is particularly business friendly. Alright, here are my observations.

In room Wifi - Free. That's nice. The problem is that it is extremely slow at times - like 20 seconds to open a text only email in Gmail. In the end I had to pay for their mobile internet service, which is much faster and costs RM 55 for 3 GB usage.

I booked a deluxe room. Nice view of the sea, but everything is very dated.

Bathroom - Bathtub is tiny and a bit dirty. You wouldn't actually take a bath here. Water pressure is very low.

Aircon - Freezing even on the maximum 30 degrees.

Fan - Has two modes - OFF and HELICOPTER. God only knows why they don't have a switch that allows you to set the fan to low. It would be nice to use instead of the aircon.

Bed - Comfortable enough, but nothing special.

TV - A handful of channels.

The breakfast is, well, very average. The quality of the food is not great and the variety isn't there either.

When you see the pool and 'gym' and think back to the images on their website, you will understand the wonders of wide angle photography. Both are very small - the gym consists of a treadmill, two benches, and a cheap universal weight machine. There is a sauna and steam that looked alright. But a hotel this size should have a real gym with 20 or 30 pieces of equipment. Also, note that the pool is indoors so if you want to get some sun, you're out of luck.

The staff are friendly.

Overall, it's just very average, although as states, the location is pretty good. I'm not sure if I would stay here again. They need to upgrade a number of things and then I probably would.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, September 24, 2013

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent stay with us and I hope that you had a good trip home.

My sincere apologies for the inconveniences and the disappointment encountered during your stay with us - I appreciate your taking the time to list the areas of improvement which I have immediately looked into.

The fan speed control is located under the bedside table and should have been set at the lowest speed at all times - my apologies for our lack of attention in this instance, as with the thermostat control for the air-conditioning.

I am looking into the possibility of extending the space of our gym to accommodate a few more pieces of exercise equipment and upgrading the bathroom is also in our plans for the coming year.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write as it is through continuous feedback that we are able to objectively review our facilities and services we provide to ensure that they meet and hopefully exceed our guests’ expectations.

It is my fervent hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back to Cititel Penang again soon and please do not hesitate to contact me at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be of further assistance with your next reservations.

Tony Goh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Selangor Darul Ehsan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

My second time staying at Cititel Georgetown, both also for work.

Both times also booked online - to enjoy the special rates. However, the second time (this round) booking, the rate has doubled. Well, I love walking about in this area, Penang Road, Campbell Street etc for the arts, historical values, and of course food.

The online booking was smooth, for both times.

The check-in was fast, maybe because I have key-in all my details online. Front desk personnel was helpful.

Booked Deluxe room as advertised below:-
IN YOUR DELUXE:
* Air conditioning with individual temperature control
* Bidet
* Ceiling Fan
* Complimentary coffee/tea making facilities
* Complimentary WiFi for 2 users per room daily.
* Daily replenishment of bottled mineral water
* Full room amenities
* Key card access/security lock
* LCD TV with satellite channel
* Long bath and shower
* Mini refrigerator

The room has everything it advertised, except bidet and in-house movie. And perhaps one more is the low floor I am in.

Other comments about the hotel:-
1. The water hole is too close to the toilet. You are for certain to step on it. Very inconvenient and unhygienic

2. In-movie - if the hotel is referring to Fox Movie, then that is not the in-house movie.

3. Vision Four - Cititel should just unsubscribe it

4. The ceiling fan only comes in one speed - highest, and not adjustable

5a. WiFi - seems to have a quota. Come on Cititel??

5b. WiFi - Only can browse to certain sites - downloading, sending emails, out of luck

6. Shower - no super jet like, unlike Tune Hotel, probably at fraction of the cost.

7. Pillows, bed - really hard to sleep on. That is why I am awake to key-in this review

8. Noisy bed - Yep, noisy. Whenever I turn, there is noise.

Overall, the hotel is pleasant to stay, although the lifts seems rather slow. Last night dinner seen quite a long queue waiting to get back to hotel rooms.

Ok, that's it.

Room Tip: 1. Go for non-smoking room 2. Avoid too close to smoking floors. Really stink
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SamuelTan
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Mr Tan

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for writing and for sharing your positive comments of our service team and hotel location. however, it is with regret to learn that your recent stay was not up to your expectations.

I apologise for the shortcomings of the set-up in your room; the room’s fan’s speed control is located under the bedside table and have advised my Housekeeper to ensure that it is tuned to the lowest speed at all times, and yes, Vision Four is our in-house movie channel. Fox Movie is one of the satellite TV channels that we subscribe to.

We have been experiencing some issues with our wifi connectivity of late and are working to resolve it – my apologies for the inconvenience. I am sorry that the condition of our pillows kept you up; we do have a selection of pillows from our Housekeeping Department and regret that you were not informed about this during your stay.

I regret that I did not have the opportunity to meet with you during your stay with us which I am sure, would have enabled me to correct the situation, leaving you with a more positive impression.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write as it is through your feedback that we can continuously strive to improve and ensure that our guests enjoy their stay with us.

My team and I look forward to having you stay with us again and to have another opportunity to serve you better. Please do not hesitate to contact me at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be of further assistance.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed at the Cititel in August. It's in a very handy position in Georgetown an easy walk to restaurants and transport. The "delux" room I booked was an extremely reasonable , it wasn't big but it had everything needed including a jug and fridge and a lovely city view. The linen was white and of good quality and the bathroom was well maintained. Extra pillows would have made the beds more comfortable . The staff were helpful and efficient. It's very handy having a swimming pool, which the Cititel does. It's not a very attractive pool, being indoors surrounded by white tiles, but it was clean and cool. The only problem here is that the WIFI is very bad. Slow and almost non existent. They need to fix it

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, September 6, 2013

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts – I am very happy to note that you have had a most enjoyable stay here and my sincere thanks for your kind and gracious comments about our hotel team members and the service rendered.

I apologise for the shortcomings during your stay – I am presently reviewing the system and am confident that the connection will be up to par when you next stay with us. I also regret to know you were not kept informed that a selection of pillows are available at our Housekeeping Department when required.

Nevertheless, I do hope that these issues did not detract you from your overall enjoyment of your holiday and my team and I look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us on your next visit to Penang.

Until then, my best wishes for a great weekend ahead.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Centrally located. Easy to travel around the city area for good foods, sightseeing and work out (can start jogging towards Esplanade and then Beach Road, the return via Chulia Street or run into Kimberly Street then walk thru Cintra Street market and back to hotel)

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank BeforeJuly
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, September 4, 2013

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for your positive comments of Cititel Penang - it is wonderful to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Looks like you know your way around our heritage city! You might want to consider bicycling instead the next time you are here – we can arrange the bike for you too!

My team members and I look forward to welcoming you back to Cititel Penang on your next visit and our sincere thanks once again for sharing your experience with us.

Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

Booked a Superior Double Room directly from the hotel as it was on promotion. We were given a room with seaview. Unfortunately, due to the haze blown in from Sumatra, Indonesia, we couldn’t enjoy the view from the room throughout our stay.

I chose the hotel for its location as it is within walking distance from plenty of eateries, some of which are famous for their Penang hawker fare. In fact there are two 24-hour Indian Muslim or Mamak restaurants within a short walking distance from the hotel. The UNESCO World Heritage Site of Georgetown is also within walking distance from the hotel.

The hotel has a coffee house, a Chinese restaurant and a Japanese restaurant but I didn’t try any of them as I prefer to savour the famous Penang street food.

The room has strong and stable WiFi signal with decent internet connection speed. Our room was near the lifts/elevators.

Room and bathroom are clean and we had good housekeeping throughout our stay. The bed was comfortable and we had a good night’s sleep.

Staff are courteous and service was prompt. Check-in and check-out was quick and hassle free.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

It is very heartening to know that you had an enjoyable stay with us recently.

We truly appreciate your kind comments about our team, the service rendered and hotel facilities; yes, many of our guests are pleasantly surprised at how convenient it is to move around from here for shopping, dining and even sight-seeing, and I'm glad you took the time to discover the various attractions in and around George Town.

My team members and I certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Cititel Penang on your next visit to Penang and our sincere thanks once again for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Have a great weekend ahead.

With kind regards,
Male
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

the hotel is in a good location and quite decent and well priced. the rooms are small but nothing to complain about and had breakfast once, although i would recommend eating out. would have been a decent stay if not for the worst checkout experience i have ever had.

first, the gentlemen who was handling my checkout told me that i had not provided them with a deposit. I told them i was not asked for us at checkin although they asked me for one later and i provided it the night before. he insisted (quite rudely) that i did not and 'demanded' that i show receipt for it. i had to insist several times before he finally found it in the system. Did not apologies for it.

Next, my room rate included the internet and I was given a user name and password upon checkin. I could log in the first time but when i try to log in after i switch off and switch on my laptop, and when I enter the given details, it asks me to choose a package. I knew it was a glitch in the system and 'thought' even if I click, the hotel would not double charge me (and yes i did not use it on multiple divices).

Again, I was told that 'oh well, you clicked it, you have to pay for it', It didnt matter that my room included the internet and was being double charged. It wasn't much but i didn't want to pay again for something I had already paid for. He insisted again, said it was my fault, so I courteously paid, thanked him for his outstanding services, and told him I would never stay at a Cititel again. He wasn't bothered.

I would never stay there again, and would not recommend anyone to stay there.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank mshahdy
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear En Mohd Shahdy

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for taking the time to share the review of your recent stay and it is with much regret to learn of the less-than-positive experience of your recent stay with us. I would like to assure you that your recent experience is not how we carry out our operations here at Cititel Penang.

Our complimentary WIFI system is set up to accommodate 2 devices; once the 2 devices are in use, with the 3rd devise, the system will automatically prompt and route the user to our normal package rates for package selection. The deposit required was for the use of the 4-G services which was actually a verification of your credit card that was not charged the first time. It was only charged upon your check-out.

I have also cautioned the staff concerned on their delivery manner which did not come across positively.

I sincerely hope that you did not allow these issues to detract you from the overall enjoyment of your stay here and my sincere thanks once again for your kind feedback. It is my fervent hope to have the privilege of welcoming you to Cititel Penang again soon.

Please contact me directly at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be of further assistance with your room reservations.

Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Its bathtub is smaller than the previous hotel I stayed in Ipoh but it is clean and the bed is much more comfortable although I didn't really get to enjoy it as we decided to check out earlier fearing the massive jam ahead in our journey back to KL as it is the last day of the school days. You've to pay to use WIFI in your room unless you go to the lobby or to its breakfast area, which is not very convenient. You have to use the access card in the lift to get to your floor, which makes you feel secured staying here.

Room Tip: A non smoking room that is close to the lift
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Dear Ms Lee

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang and I trust that you and your family had an easy journey back to KL.

Thank you for taking the time to share your review and I am glad to note that you liked our key card access security feature. We do provide complimentary WIFI access for up to two (2) devices per room for all reservations at Cititel Penang; however, you will need to book directly with us instead of through the travel agency in order to be eligible for this.

Please do not hesitate to contact me at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be of further assistance with your future reservations.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to stay with us again soon, and until then, my best wishes for a great month ahead.