Here now for 3 nights on business. One more night to go. Location is good. Everything else defines the every essence of the word average. First, their slogan is 'Your business friendly hotel'. I have no idea why they print this everywhere as nothing about the hotel is particularly business friendly. Alright, here are my observations.
In room Wifi - Free. That's nice. The problem is that it is extremely slow at times - like 20 seconds to open a text only email in Gmail. In the end I had to pay for their mobile internet service, which is much faster and costs RM 55 for 3 GB usage.
I booked a deluxe room. Nice view of the sea, but everything is very dated.
Bathroom - Bathtub is tiny and a bit dirty. You wouldn't actually take a bath here. Water pressure is very low.
Aircon - Freezing even on the maximum 30 degrees.
Fan - Has two modes - OFF and HELICOPTER. God only knows why they don't have a switch that allows you to set the fan to low. It would be nice to use instead of the aircon.
Bed - Comfortable enough, but nothing special.
TV - A handful of channels.
The breakfast is, well, very average. The quality of the food is not great and the variety isn't there either.
When you see the pool and 'gym' and think back to the images on their website, you will understand the wonders of wide angle photography. Both are very small - the gym consists of a treadmill, two benches, and a cheap universal weight machine. There is a sauna and steam that looked alright. But a hotel this size should have a real gym with 20 or 30 pieces of equipment. Also, note that the pool is indoors so if you want to get some sun, you're out of luck.
The staff are friendly.
Overall, it's just very average, although as states, the location is pretty good. I'm not sure if I would stay here again. They need to upgrade a number of things and then I probably would.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Along bustling Upper Penang Road, in the heart of George Town. Easy access to commercial and government offices, 30 minutes by car from Penang International Airport, 5 minutes drive to Penang Ferry terminal, 5-10 minutes walk to nearby tourist attractions such as street arts and UNESCO heritage trails, 15-minutes walk to Chowrasta market and Mydin Hypermarket, 20-minutes walk to Komtar/Prangin Mall/1st Avenue Mall, 20-minutes walk to Esplanade/Beach Street and the Red Garden Hawker Centre is located just opposite the hotel. 451 comfortably furnished rooms inclusive of executive rooms, broadband internet, LCD TV, long bath, bidet, electronic safe in selected categories, coffee/tea making facilities, mini fridge, satellite TV and in-house movies. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Agoda and Booking.com so you can book your Cititel Penang reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cititel Penang Georgetown
- Cititel Penang Hotel Georgetown
- Cititel Penang George Town