“Great staff, great location, room a little dated”
Review of Cititel Penang

Cititel Penang
Ranked #21 of 84 Hotels in George Town
Canberra, Australia
“Great staff, great location, room a little dated”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed mid August for 3 nights in Cititel Georgetown. The staff were very good, attentive, helpful with any questions and very quick to check-in / check-out. The room itself was a good size although it could do with a little bit of a refurbishment. The bathroom was a little dated but overall clean and the sheets on the bed had a few stains on them so could do with a replacement.

Good for the price and in the right location with great staff.

Room Tip: For lunch, try the curry house across the road to the right of the hotel, delicious meals at a very...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank boo5td
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, September 1, 2013

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

It is indeed very heartening to know that you have had an enjoyable stay with us.

My team and I truly appreciate your kind comments and look forward to welcoming you back to Cititel Penang again soon.

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Tony Goh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Melbourne
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Stayed 3 nights over the Hari Raya long weekend. The hotel was packed. Great and helpful staff. Very helpful tips and great service.

Given the long weekend, the hotel rate was not great value for money.

On the downside, my room on level 10 was dark and smelled of mildew. The room does not seem to have been recently refurbished and the carpet looked poorly maintained. The bathroom looked old and tired. The hotel gym had limited equipment and the pool looked poorly maintained and was not well utilised.

There was also no safe in the room and any valuables have to be stored on the front desk safe.

Great wifi connection. Fast and easy to connect to and it came free.

Breakfast buffet was so so. There were flies in the buffet room.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, August 18, 2013

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for taking the time to write and hope that you had a good trip home. Your kind comments are most appreciated, especially that of our team - thanks very much.

I apologise that our gym and indoor pool were not up to your expectations; I am presently looking into the possibility of extending the gym area in order to accommodate a few more pieces of exercise equipment and am confident that we will realise this by 2014.

I am sorry that your guest room was also not in the best condition and I regret that I did not have the opportunity to meet with you during your stay with us which I am sure, would have enabled me to correct the situation, and to ensure that you had a more fulfilling stay with us. I sincerely hope that these issues did not detract you from the overall enjoyment of your stay with us.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write as it is through your feedback that we can continuously strive to improve and ensure that our guests enjoy their stay with us.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back again – do contact me at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be of further assistance.

With best wishes for a great week ahead.

Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Stayed 2 nights in this hotel and it was surprisingly good. For the price we paid and the reviews online, I was bracing myself for the worst.

Our check-in was late (7.30pm) and we were attended by a Mr. Calvin at Front Desk. He was courteous and made our check-in a breeze. I asked for a non-smoking room and he gave us a deluxe room on the 6th floor which turned out to be quite pleasant. The room size wasn't as small as I expected and I think it fits 2 people quite comfortably. The room smelled and felt clean. The only boo-boos were our stained towels which they changed promptly after we called it in, and the carpet felt a bit dusty (I guess that what the slippers are for but we didn't really need to use them). The pillows were fluffy, air-con cold, and the sheets were clean. The bathroom though a bit aged, was clean as well. They have free in-room wifi that has its ups and downs but it was mostly manageable.

If you're looking for a pit stop in Penang, I think this is good enough for a brief stay. Why pay exorbitant amount unless you're looking to stay in your room the whole day. So all in all, not too bad this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank t30Sharon

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

I am pleased to note that you opted to stay with us during your visit to Penang – your positive comments of our hotel services (especially on Calvin), facilities and location are most appreciated. Thank You.

My apologies for the lack of attention to the room towels and appreciate your understanding on our wifi connection. Am glad that these issues did not detract you from the overall enjoyment of your stay here.

Thank you for recommending our hotel. My team and I look forward to welcoming you back again on your next trip to Penang.

Best wishes for a great week ahead.

watford
Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

I had a free evening and returned to this hotel for a drink.
Athirah made me very welcome.
She is very professional and has been trained well to look after customers.
The standards here are always consistent.
A very well run hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Mr Keating

Good to have you back! THANK YOU for your kind words and for your continued support.

I look forward to meeting up the next time you are in our neighbourhood!

safe travels!

Best wishes and kind regards
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights. The room is just standard. It's old hotel, the room is not so big. Location is great, it's in penang road, just walking distance to some famous place/tourist spot in georgetown. You can walk thru the eastern&oriental hotel to the seaside. The internet is very slow.

1 Thank destriana

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for taking the time to share your review and am glad that you liked our location and took time to explore George Town.

Have taken note of your comment on our internet speed – my apologies; as we provide complimentary access for a maximum of two devices per room, we are constantly monitoring the usage as heavy downloads may cause the speed to slow down. Nevertheless, I hope that this issue did not detract you from the overall enjoyment of your stay here.

Thank you again for writing and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Geelong, Australia
Reviewed August 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed 4 nights at the Cititel. We were more than happy with our choice. Check in and out was a breeze and all staff from reception, through to dining, and cleaning were exemplary being very professional and friendly. Special thanks to Amir, Alvin and staff in the dining room for their attentive and first class service, even offering to get us a coffee as we arrived for breakfast. We were also very impressed with the level of service provided by Syahirah & Athirah in the Cititel Lounge - well done all, you are a credit to the hotel.

Hotel location - was withing walking distance of all the city attractions. We walked around and through the city centre comfortably within a day. The hop on hop off bus stop which is also where you can catch the bus to Batu Ferringgi is about 200 metres away. There are also numerous restaurants in the vicinity including the Jaya Indian Restaurant on the opposite side of the street (delicious cheap meal - loved the tandoori chicken) & the Red Garden Food Paradise about 100 metres to the left and on the right hand side as you leave the hotel., where you can get a wide variety of cheap eats and drinks.

Hotel Room - our deluxe room on the 18th floor was of average size, not large, and met our needs. It had a nice view over the sea and a very comfortable king size bed. The bathroom, like others have mentioned, could do with an update but was clean and had a nice hot shower over the bath with good water pressure. It was a pity that the shower curtain did not stop water running along the back of the bath and out onto the floor. This was a bit of a nuisance.
Wifi was available but very intermittent and extremely slow on occasions

Buffet Breakfast - was included in our room price and couldn't be faulted with a large assortment to choose from and constant replenishment. A great way to start a day!!

Pool/Jaccuzi - We were a little concerned when booking the hotel that the fact that the pool was inside may have made it uncomfortable. However, to the contrary, we found it very refreshing, and on each occasion we used it we had it to ourselves. There was also a adjacent small gym, steam room and sauna.

Computer access was also available in the hotels Main Street cafe, where you could also print out up to 5 pages free - ideal for on line airline check-in and printing of boarding passes

Would have no hesitation recommending the hotel to friends or staying there if ever in Georgetown again

Andrew & Dianne Beechey
Australia

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank yotsmn
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Andrew and Dianne

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang and I trust that you had a good trip home.

Thank you for your gracious comments on our hotel facilities and services and have shared them with my team here with much pride.

I am very glad to note that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us at Cititel Penang and it is most gratifying to know that we have exceeded your expectations.

Thank you for recommending Cititel Penang and we look forward to welcoming you both back again soon.

Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was one of the best we have stayed in around the world. The rooms were very clean, fantastic location to all site seeing, the breakfast wow it catered to Japanese, westerners, Koreans, vegetarians and many more. The service was great the staff very attentive and friendly. Management is doing something right. I will be recommending this hotel to family and friends

Dear Chris

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you so much for your kind comments of our hotel services, facilities and location - they are greatly appreciated.

My team and I are truly glad to know that you have had an enjoyable time here and thank you for your recommendation and support.

We look forward to welcoming you back again for yet another fulfilling stay.. see you soon.