“Well worth it!”
Review of Cititel Penang

Cititel Penang
Ranked #21 of 87 Hotels in George Town
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Good overall experience. We traveled as a couple and the superior room's size was adequate. Any smaller would be slightly cramp. The room was very well tidied and clean and was equipped with all the amenities that you would need. Good job to the cleaners. Finally, the quiet sleep and super comfortable bed lines were greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

On a side note, my first impression of the hotel wasn't of the best. Arrived and drove to the 1st floor car park. It looked real dodgy with poorly maintained lighting, walls and the floors. lighting was really dark with "blackened" walls. Concrete flooring was uneven as well with local cracks and deformation. Secondly, the parking attendant made me pay even though i told him i was a hotel guest and will be checking in. Was not happy about that. In short, was not impressed by the request to pay and poorly maintained car parking area.

Room Tip: Superior room was very comfortable and adequately sized. Unsure about the others.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

My team and I are very happy to note that you have enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your kind comments on our rooms and Housekeeping team. Thank You.

Thank you for your observations of our carpark and sincerely apologise for the lack of its maintenance. I am pleased to inform you that we will be repainting the walls of the car park soon as well as relook at the lighting and signage in the area. Our car park operations are leased out to a third party and all the guests are to pay the fees on arrival. However, we will reimburse the entrance fees to all our house guests. I am sorry that this was not conveyed to you in a more professional and courteous manner. I will personally remind the Operator about the lack of their staff courtesy.

Nevertheless, I hope that this did not detract you from overall enjoyment of your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again.

Tony Goh

Write a ReviewReviews (1,092)

Reviewed July 3, 2013

The hotel is located not too far away fm Komtar. To visit the 'Snake Temple' or Penang Hills u can approach the Concierge to hire a van or limo. Must try the local hawker delights near the hotel. It's also not too far away from the shopping malls. Or you can visit the nice beaches at Batu Ferringhi;)

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Dicson S
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for taking the time to share the review of our hotel and I hope that you had a wonderful stay in Penang.

Your positive comments of our hotel and location are greatly appreciated – thank you.

Wishing you a great week ahead and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Stained bath tub, light switches that needed an upgrade. in fact, was told by their GM that their refurbishment will include the superior rooms upwards that I had booked one. Needless to say , i was disappointed. however, must add that their sea view rooms, especially the corner ones afford one a better view than their hallowed doors neighbour, whose doormen attitude towards this visit was less than desired.

Shower drainage was poor. Air con did not work properly.

even felt a slight earthquake tremor or two during my stay. later was told this was due to something in north sumatra.

the only plus point is the proximity to eating outlets and pubs. Red Garden was just across the road. Fridge which was working at half its strength was left empty for you to fill up through visits to the convenience stores nearby.

It is the 7th stop on the free CAT ride from the Ferry terminal. They no longer operate two way.

A good 15 minutes walk from Komtar.

Will not be returning any time soon.

Hard beds were the worse besides the tremor and on a minor point, the poor tv channel selections and reception.

Room Tip: Choose a corner room.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We've stayed in this hotel for 3 times. We checked-in to this hotel to attend a wedding held at Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion. We have stayed in a Superior King room and what we can say is, all is good. From the moment we checked-in until we checked-out, the service and people were great.

The breakfast is one of the 'highlight'. All food were great and we paid MYR18++/pax through online. The staff working at the coffee house is very efficient and attentive.

The location of the hotel is also good as there are many good eatery place around within walking distance.

Basically, thumbs up for Cititel Penang!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

I cannot thank you enough for your continued support and for the kind words of our hotel services, facilities and location.

My team and I are truly glad to know that you have had an enjoyable time here and we look forward to welcoming you back again for yet another fulfilling stay.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

We recently stayed in room 1816 on June 16th-20th. I found the hotel good value and breakfast which was optional at booking was well worth the extra charge. The location of the hotel is excellent and the Foyer and ground floor areas were all very nicely decorated and clean. The room was dated but clean, comfortable and quiet and worth the price paid. The cleaning staff do a excellent job maintaining the rooms. Our only complaint was that the fridge in our room did not work. My husband notified the front desk, and they said they would have it fixed but nothing happened as far as we know and we never got any feed back as to why. The housekeeping staff did a good job however bringing Ice to our room when we rang and asked for it. We requested a non smoking room which we got. Overall a very good stay and value for money hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for your positive comments about your recent stay with us and of our services and facilities - I am truly grateful for your kind words and have shared them with my team here with much pride.

Your appreciation of the service and facilities is great motivation to all of us here.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to another fulfilling stay at Cititel Penang and please do not hesitate to contact me at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be of assistance.

With kind regards and best wishes

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Place was filthy, with just a facade of a clean hotel. Once you're past the main lobby, the age of the property shows. Even the main lobby had a stench of cigarette smoke let alone our "non smoking" room on the 16th floor. Apparently we got the corner "deluxe" room but the place was noisy. Couldn't sleep at night because you can hear the neighbor talking all night on his cell phone. At 5:30am the neighborhood mosque prayer start, so good luck catching any sleep. The street it's on is also sleazy. STAY FAR AWAY from here.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank akritori

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and I regret to learn of the less-than-positive experience of your recent stay with us.

Cititel Penang does not have a totally smoke-free environment policy but our Maintenance Manager and Housekeeper are constantly seeking ways to improve the air quality of our public areas and in our guestrooms. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience and discomfort encountered with the lingering smoke smell.

We are located right in the heart of the city and at the fringe of the heritage zone which has always been a plus point for many of our guests and I am sorry to know that you do not share their sentiment.

I regret that I did not have the opportunity to meet with you during your stay in order to ensure that you return home with more pleasant memories of your stay here.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write as it is through your feedback that we can continuously strive to improve and ensure that our guests enjoy their stay with us.

I do hope that you will choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

We had the misfortune to have a room with an adjoining door. The screaming children screamed most of the night and the noise leaked thru the door. The screaming mothers screamed across the corridoors to their sisters, friends. Poor room management to place us in the midst of a LOUD tour group.

Really low water pressure on the 7th floor. Shower in the bath was much too high for my elderly mother to navigate without help.

Staff at the front desk were snarly at best, and totally incompetent at 5am while we were waiting for our( booked ) airport taxi.

Location is smack- bang in the center of Georgetown. This is the only reason I would return, with earplugs.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2013

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for taking the time to write in and I hope that you had a good trip home.

Please accept my apologies stay for the lack of attention to the rooming arrangements for you and your family during your stay here. I would like to reassure you that this is not our usual standard of operations and the departments concerned have been taken to task on the issues you mentioned.

I regret that I did not have the opportunity to meet with you during your stay with us which I am sure, would have enabled me to correct the situation, and to ensure that you and your family have a more fulfilling stay with us.

Please do contact me at gm@cititelpenang.com the next time you plan to visit Penang and I will ensure that the necessary courtesies are extended accordingly.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to stay with us at Cititel Penang again soon.

With best wishes and kind regards