“Value for money”

Ranked #21 of 84 Hotels in George Town
Adelaide S.A.
“Value for money”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We recently stayed in room 1816 on June 16th-20th. I found the hotel good value and breakfast which was optional at booking was well worth the extra charge. The location of the hotel is excellent and the Foyer and ground floor areas were all very nicely decorated and clean. The room was dated but clean, comfortable and quiet and worth the price paid. The cleaning staff do a excellent job maintaining the rooms. Our only complaint was that the fridge in our room did not work. My husband notified the front desk, and they said they would have it fixed but nothing happened as far as we know and we never got any feed back as to why. The housekeeping staff did a good job however bringing Ice to our room when we rang and asked for it. We requested a non smoking room which we got. Overall a very good stay and value for money hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, July 8, 2013

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for your positive comments about your recent stay with us and of our services and facilities - I am truly grateful for your kind words and have shared them with my team here with much pride.

Your appreciation of the service and facilities is great motivation to all of us here.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to another fulfilling stay at Cititel Penang and please do not hesitate to contact me at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be of assistance.

With kind regards and best wishes
Tony Goh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
pleasanton, CA
Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

Place was filthy, with just a facade of a clean hotel. Once you're past the main lobby, the age of the property shows. Even the main lobby had a stench of cigarette smoke let alone our "non smoking" room on the 16th floor. Apparently we got the corner "deluxe" room but the place was noisy. Couldn't sleep at night because you can hear the neighbor talking all night on his cell phone. At 5:30am the neighborhood mosque prayer start, so good luck catching any sleep. The street it's on is also sleazy. STAY FAR AWAY from here.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank akritori

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and I regret to learn of the less-than-positive experience of your recent stay with us.

Cititel Penang does not have a totally smoke-free environment policy but our Maintenance Manager and Housekeeper are constantly seeking ways to improve the air quality of our public areas and in our guestrooms. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience and discomfort encountered with the lingering smoke smell.

We are located right in the heart of the city and at the fringe of the heritage zone which has always been a plus point for many of our guests and I am sorry to know that you do not share their sentiment.

I regret that I did not have the opportunity to meet with you during your stay in order to ensure that you return home with more pleasant memories of your stay here.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write as it is through your feedback that we can continuously strive to improve and ensure that our guests enjoy their stay with us.

I do hope that you will choose to stay with us again.

With kind regards
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We had the misfortune to have a room with an adjoining door. The screaming children screamed most of the night and the noise leaked thru the door. The screaming mothers screamed across the corridoors to their sisters, friends. Poor room management to place us in the midst of a LOUD tour group.

Really low water pressure on the 7th floor. Shower in the bath was much too high for my elderly mother to navigate without help.

Staff at the front desk were snarly at best, and totally incompetent at 5am while we were waiting for our( booked ) airport taxi.

Location is smack- bang in the center of Georgetown. This is the only reason I would return, with earplugs.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, June 30, 2013

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for taking the time to write in and I hope that you had a good trip home.

Please accept my apologies stay for the lack of attention to the rooming arrangements for you and your family during your stay here. I would like to reassure you that this is not our usual standard of operations and the departments concerned have been taken to task on the issues you mentioned.

I regret that I did not have the opportunity to meet with you during your stay with us which I am sure, would have enabled me to correct the situation, and to ensure that you and your family have a more fulfilling stay with us.

Please do contact me at gm@cititelpenang.com the next time you plan to visit Penang and I will ensure that the necessary courtesies are extended accordingly.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to stay with us at Cititel Penang again soon.

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed June 26, 2013

My first time checked in Cititel Penang because it is in a good location. I was very impressed with friendly, helpful and professional staff.
Deluxe room not so bad but a bit small, comfy bed in a nicely decorated room but I felt upset with a toilet flushing problem.
Good variety buffet breakfast. I will come back again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, July 16, 2013

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

It is wonderful to know that you have enjoyed your stay here and thank you for selecting to stay with us.

Your positive comments on our team and your stay experience here at Cititel Penang are most appreciated and thank you for your recommendation in your review.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Penang.

Wishing you a great week ahead.

With kind regards
Phuket, Thailand
Reviewed June 24, 2013

The ambience of the hotel is very nice. Their staffs are friendly and the rooms are neat. The hotel is situated in the heart of George Town. It's a walking distance to little India. Food and beverages were easy to find. Had a great stay at Cititel!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, June 27, 2013

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for taking the time to share the experience of your stay with us and for granting us 5 out of 5 stars on the review chart. I am very pleased to note that you had a totally fulfilling stay and thank you for the compliments on our hotel facilities, location and services.

Thank you for your continued support and my team and I look forward to welcoming and your family back to stay at Cititel Penang again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Myself and my partner recently stayed at the Cititel for 2 nights after an overnight journey from Thailand. Upon arrival the hotel looked gorgeous, the lobby had a beautiful chandelier and was bright and welcoming. We couldn't check in yet but were directed to the cafe for a free welcome drink and use of the Internet.

After about 30 minutes we could check in and were shown to our room. It was O.K. Nothing special but not horrific either. The rooms are just really dated and so is the bathroom. The rooms were clean though and so were the bed linens and towels.

I think that the hotel needs to do some major remodelling work to the rooms to make this a fabulous hotel and not just an OK one. You have to remember the price your paying though, it's an excellent location for the price and its liveable for a few nights but any longer and I think I would of been dissatisfied.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for taking the time to share the experience of your recent stay with us. We are delighted to note your positive comments about our hotel, but regret that our guestrooms were not up to your expectations. May I recommend our Deluxe Rooms the next time you stay with us – I am positive that they may be more to your liking.

Thank you for writing and my team and I look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us on your next trip to Penang.

Wishing you a pleasant week ahead.

With kind regards,
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Reviewed June 24, 2013

If you want to be in the heart of the old Penang, but still want modern comforts, then Cititel should be your pick.

It's right at the gates of Penang Road, with the rest of George Town just waiting to be explored.

Everything is at the Cititel door step. Want great local breakfast? Walk over to Argyll Road for roti canai and beef or chicken curry. Nearby is the Benggali bread shop for some typical Penang buns and kaya. Look around for the Restoran Pohon Ketapang for some nasi kandar too.

Want some culture? Hop onto a trishaw from Cititel and for RM10, you get to see some nice sights through the old lanes around here (Love Lane, Muntri Street, etc.).

Craving for some good Italian coffee? There's plenty of chic coffee shops around. I loved the Moon Tree 47 cafe on Muntri Street for their illy brews and lovely decor.

Want to bargain with the locals? Just walk up towards Chowrasta market in the morning and drive your best deal on everything from books to kitchen-ware to toys and everything in between.

There's just plenty to see from such a great hotel location like Cititel. The hotel itself is your typical 3 or 4 star accommodation -- modern, nice bed, cable tv, bath tub. It lacks the character of old Penang, but after a whole day of exploring the Penang streets, you just want a nice comfy bed to lie in till the next day's adventure, and you'll get a good night's sleep here.

Rates aren't too bad, either. Book ahead at their hotel website, and you can get a standard room for about RM150++.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Pn Ena

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang and i hope that you had a good trip home.

My team and I are extremely grateful to you for your gracious comments and for taking the time to share the experience of your recent stay here on Trip Advisor.

We are absolutely delighted to note that you have had a totally fulfilling stay at Cititel Penang. Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and sincere thanks for your recommendation.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back again soon.