“Cititel Penang - good location”
Review of Cititel Penang

Cititel Penang
Ranked #20 of 88 Hotels in George Town
Reviewed June 21, 2013

wanted somewhere convenient and after much research, Cititel is very convenient located right in Georgetown. The room is rather spacious and i have partial seaview (though it is not right beside the beach), the corridor to the hotel room is rather dim though.

just opposite the hotel, there is the RED food centre and open on 7pm till midnight. they have live band performance from 9pm onwards, and even show girl entertainment from 11pm. I was there one of the night and it is so packed even till midnight, even better than the dinner crowd.
To major shopping mall, is quite a distance of about 20 mins and it is also very close to the night bar alley.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang and hope you had a good trip back to Singapore.

My team and I are glad that you liked our hotel location and that you took time to explore our city. We trust that you had an enjoyable time in Penang and we look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us on your next visit.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

I stayed at this hotel with a booking for 11 days. The gym was a tiny box and any more than 2 people using it would have made it crowded - it wasn't ventilated. The pool was being repaired so could not be used and the changing rooms for the gym and pool were tired and not very clean.

I ended up cancelling the rest of my reservation after 2 days the gym and pool which were not like the online pictures that made me book the hotel. In addition, while the hotel lobby was well presented, the room I was given was tired and quite frankly not up to the quality that the hotel was charging for as there were plenty of other less grand looking options in town with similar or better quality rooms for a fraction of the price.

The staff were friendly and helpful enough but I did not eat at the hotel as it was much more expensive than the options available outside.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank SNM8

Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang and thank you for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us.

I am disheartened to note that our accommodation and recreational facilities were not up to your expectations. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience and regret that I was not able to meet with you to offer you a better room and to rectify the situation prior to your early check-out.

Our Recreational area is presently under renovation as the latest additional to our recreational facilities – the Wellness Centre - will be in operations come July 2013 and I regret that the area is less than appealing at the moment.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write as it is through your feedback that we can continuously strive to improve and ensure that our guests enjoy their stay with us.

My team and I look forward to having you stay with us again and to have another opportunity to serve you better. Please do not hesitate to contact me at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be of further assistance.

With best wishes and kind regards,

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Everything from staff to location passing from the cleaning, the room view, etc.. perfect stay.

The only bad thing was the pool. it looks very depressing and dirty, they are doing works on the fitness center next to it hopefully they'll improve the pool area after that.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang and Bonjour!

It is indeed very heartening to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us at Cititel Penang and thank you for awarding us Full marks on the review scale.

We truly appreciate your kind comments about our hotel facilities and service rendered but regret to note that our indoor pool with jacuzzi was not up to your expectations. Our Housekeeping Team is ensuring the cleanliness of the area due to the renovation works presently on-going for the Wellness Centre (a new addition to our Recreation facilities) and hope that this did not detract you from the overall enjoyment of your stay with us.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Cititel Penang soon and thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Best wishes and kind regards

Reviewed June 17, 2013

I stayed at Cititel for 2 nights. Nice smile from the reception, quick check-in. Fast response when calling to customer service. Within 5 minutes I get what I request for (slippers and Chinese newspaper). Room is clean and neat and have a nice sea view.
Location wise, there are restaurants and kopitiam nearby the hotel, 24 hours convenient shop just across the road.
The negative comments would be the flush in the toilet is not 'strong' although I pressed on full flush. And the air condition is a bit noisy when the fan is set to 2. Luckily there is a fan so the room is not that stuffy.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

It is a delight to know that you and your family had an enjoyable stay with us recently.

Thank you very much for your kind comments on the service rendered; and please accept my apologies for our lack of attention with regards to the maintenance issues in your room. Please be assured that this is not the standard we upkeep at Cititel Penang and our Maintenance team have looked into the areas mentioned and will ensure that this does not recur.

I do hope that this did not detract you from your overall stay with us and my team and I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Cititel Penang on your next visit.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

I am a regular at Cititel Penang. I have had good things to say about this hotel until my last visit a week ago.

Upon arrival, I was given room 1616. View was good, as usual, but I can't say the same for the hygiene levels. These were my findings:

1. Stained pillow case (looked like coffee stains)
2. Hair on toilet bowl
3. Hair in bathtub
4. Broken toilet seat hinge
5. Stained towel (looked like old blood stains)
6. Blocked sink
7. Blocked bathtub

I promptly reported the situation to the Duty Manager and she offered to change to another room for me. However, I declined as all she could offer me was a room on a smoking floor. All other rooms were full. The alternative was to have the problems fixed in the current room. I accepted that solution. Problems 2,3,4 were fixed. Problems 1, 5,6,7 were fixed temporarily and recurred the next few days until I checked out. I spoke to the Duty Manager each day and she tried her best to resolve the issues but they recurred.

There is obviously a problem with the Laundry Dept. There is no quality control. Stained pillowcases and towels are not acceptable to me, especially when they occur daily. Blocked drainpipes are also not acceptable. Right before I checked out, the sink was still blocked but the problem in the bathtub was finally resolved.

The GM needs to seriously address these issues. Otherwise, they will drive away loyal customers. As can be seen from my previous review, I had high regards for Cititel Penang and kept returning. Not any more. I will try other alternatives in my next visit to Penang next month. There are plenty of good hotels in this price range.

Very disappointing.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank schmoozer
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2013

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for writing and it is with regret to learn of the less-than-positive experience of your recent stay with us.

I apologise for the shortcomings in our Housekeeping and Laundry Departments; please be assured that this is not the norm and we have commenced our re-training sessions with the Housekeeping and Laundry staff to ensure that we maintain the standards of cleanliness at our hotel.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience and discomfort encountered.

With best wishes and kind regards,

Reviewed June 16, 2013

This is our second time checked in Cititell Penang, we have a smooth, friendly & quick check in, the room has been renovated and really impressed us. The morning buffet breakfast was nice and variety, we very enjoyed it.
The negative comment would be the pool were small and the Internet line are slow, hope to see the improvement on it.
One thing that I must highlighted is the location was perfect, few step away to reached the kopitiam that sell delicious lobak in Penang, also,the Red cafe that come with variety food.
For those who is looking for Penang murals, there is one very nearby was The Awaiting Trishaw Paddler, the rest also very eat o locate from Cititell, we just live the location.

Room Tip: Ask for the newly renovated room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear Mr Hoo

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang and thank you for staying with us again.

Thank you for your positive comments about your recent stay with us and am truly appreciative of your kind words about our services and facilities and have shared them with my team here.

I am sorry to hear of the WIFI connectivity issues during your stay have asked the provider to look into this urgently. Presently we offer complimentary WIFI connection for two(2) persons per room and am pleased to share that we do provide 4G speeds up to 20Mbps connectivity in our hotel – the very first hotel in Penang to offer this service – and guests are able to sign up for this hotspot device rental when staying with us. It can be connected to any WIFI-enabled device and allows the use of 4 gadgets per time at very affordable rates.

Regret that our indoor pool was not up to your expectations, and hope that it did not detract you from enjoying your overall stay here.

Nevertheless, it is very heartening to know that you and your family enjoyed exploring our heritage city during your stay with us and my sincere thanks once again, for taking the time to share your experience at Cititel Penang.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back again soon.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Listen, if you are looking for somewhere with good security, decent bed, great views, prety solid breakfast, replenished bathroom amenities and a bath then this is a good place (as long as you book a deluxe). The staff really work hard to be professional and the service was great.

However, there is nothing to do in the hotel, the pool is awful, the gym looks like something off fawlty towers, for the price (about 200 - 250 ringit) you are paying for a good nights sleep but you will feel the need to get out of the hotel and into the streets every day. You can forget relaxing by the pool.

If you are looking to relax, spend another 250 ringit and stay at the Eastern and Oriental, that way you will have an unforgettable experience rather than an average one

Room Tip: book deluxe or you will regret it for therest of your life
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank thedragon67

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for taking the time to write and hope that you had a good trip home. Your kind comments of our team are most appreciated - Thank You.

I regret that our gym and indoor pool were not up to your expectations; we are presently looking into enhancing the equipment in the gym in addition to constantly checking on its condition and hoped that our indoor pool with jacuzzi, although not equipped for serious swimming sessions, provided you with a welcome respite from the hot afternoons in Penang. The latest addition to list of our recreational facilities will be the Wellness Centre, scheduled to be operational by July 2013.

We are located in the heart of the city and the heritage sites and sounds of George Town are just a doorstep away from our hotel. Many of our guests enjoy exploring the city’s heritage enclave, food haven and shopping bazaars whenever they stay with us. I hope that you have enjoyed the same experience too.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back again – do contact me at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be of further assistance.