“Fantastic in every way”

Cititel Penang
Ranked #21 of 84 Hotels in George Town
“Fantastic in every way”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Well where to start... This place is great in every way, I spent 4 weeks in Penang and stayed at cititel for 3 of 4. I just loved this place and regret having gone to gurney drive to try something different, it was a huge let down as the service I received at cititel was hard to beat. Ok on check in the staff were prompt and new about my minor requests which made me feel good from the start, without asking got a free upgrade from superior to delux room on the 17th floor overlooking the sea. Fantastic room fully equipped and serviced every day even late in the afternoon as some time we did not go out till 4-5 ish in the afternoon, I guess we felt comfy and just went for food. Breakfast was awesome and heaps of stuff to choose from and all of it was fresh and good looking too, room service was fast and great on the off night we did not wanna go out. The pool is small but clean and the dome reflects a green light which makes it kinda cool also good jacuzzi strong and in working order and the sauna was on which was great! The room was great, clean and big comfy bed with good pillows and even in the smoking room the carpet smelt good!!! The lobby staff were great helpfully and smiling all the time even when busy they still found the time to nod or say a quick hello, this in my opinion is very important as you feel welcomed and not a hassle to them. Did I mention the fresh flowers in the lobby with lit candles at night made it great for photos and good atmosphere. The cocktail lounge just above the lobby was a great place to relax and enjoy some of the best service from two great people always happy and ready to help in every way from suggesting some new cocktails to changing the music to accommodate the mood, I will miss these two as I spent a bit of time and got to know them both. On my return to cititel after having gone to langkawi I asked for something special in the room as I was planing to get engaged to my girlfriend once again got free upgrade to 19th floor delux room and found a beautiful bunch of fresh red roses in the room, now that is what I call taking care of the customers needs and my girlfriend was very impressed!!! Thank you cititel and whoever made it happen. Ok so I asked for them but in langkawi nothing in gurney drive nothing at cititel no hassle just perfect. We tried the Japanese restaurant for the special engagement night and the table was decorated with rose petals and the food was to die for, good value for money fantastic setting and great service, thanks to the staff we have heaps of photos of a very special night and won't forget the night as it was perfect in every way and I got a YES from the love of my life... The worst part about cititel was leaving the place as I can truly say its my new home away from home and can't wait to go back. Location as mentioned by everyone is fantastic, shops everywhere komtar walking distance little India just there food outside the door but my favorite was red garden as I made friends with a few of the food vendors and staff and received great service there too!!! Once again I highly recommend cititel and would defenetly go back. THANK YOU TO ALL THE STAFF FOR MAKING MY STAY ONE THAT I WILL NOT FORGET !!!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank swamiproietti

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Pune
Reviewed May 22, 2013

huge issue with the hotel was the smoking room on the 8th floor... There was a serious stench of smoke on entire floor and rooms on this floor ( we changed 2 rooms on the same floor and at last paid rmb 100 to shift on 18th non smoking floor)... Seems the cooling systems was not cleaned for ages...me and wife almost got sick after 4 hrs being in this room... The rooms are cramped up and small anyways.. One of our worst rooms in our Malaysia trip!! Pls avoid.

• Stayed May 2013
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for writing and it is with regret to learn of the less-than-positive experience of your recent stay with us.

I apologise that we do not provide a totally smoke-free environment within the hotel but would like to share that we have revisited our hotel’s Non-Smoking Policy and have engaged a consultant to help us with the air-flow within the hotel.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience and discomfort encountered. I hope that you and your wife are feeling better now.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write as it is through your feedback that we can continuously strive to improve and ensure that our guests enjoy their stay with us.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back again – do contact me at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be of further assistance with your future reservations with us.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a night with my wife. Despite arriving late at night, check in was seamless. I has booked a superior room via agoda understanding from the pictures that the room would be refurbished or renovated. However the actual room vary from the agoda room images. My room on the 11th floor didnt look much different from a standard room except perhaps with the addition of a lounge chair and better looking bed. If I had knew, I would have booked a standard room which would have been more value for money. Attached are images of the superior room.

The buffet breakfast was a disappointment. There was no doubt a decent spread but the quality of the food was substandard. Its only saving grace was its serving staff, always putting on a smile and was in deed very helpful.

I suggest you eat at one of the local eateries or western style cafe nearby ie coffee atelier.

The pros - good location, nearby to local eateries, and most sightseeing places. Great Japanese restaurant @ Cititel. Decent prices, authentic tasting Japanese food, great service.

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang

I am indeed disheartened to note your comments on our rooms and the photos which were featured on Agoda. We have completed our refurbishment exercise for all rooms and public areas and regret that they were not up to your expectations. Our Standard and Superior rooms vary in terms of the amenities placed in the rooms and the allocation of floors.

Thank you for your comment on our breakfast spread; our Executive Chef has looked into improving the quality of the breakfast items served and will endeavour to maintain it at the highest level.

Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in cititel for 3 days, in may 2013. The hotel has a perfect location! Lots of food courts in the street! My favorite was the red garden, that is located To the left of the hotel. Just in front of the hotel, on the other side of the road, is a bus stop, where you can take the free tourist bus! The room is a bit outdated, but it was perfect for us! For the price, it was perfect! If you are the kind of person that doesn't mind staying in 4 star hotel, then this a very good option for you!

• Stayed May 2013
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from CititelPenang .

Thank you for sharing your positive review of your stay at Cititel Penang – my team and I are delighted to know that you had an enjoyable time in Penang.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon and please do not hesitate to contact me at gm@cititelpenang.com if i may be of further assistance.

Best wishes and kind regards,
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Have been to Penang 16 times over 30 years and still enjoy visiting family and to eat!!! Stayed two nights at Cititel and thoroughly enjoyed our stay.
Agoda doesn't ask if you want smoking or non smoking so no standard non smoking rooms available a quick referral to the supervisor and a complimentary upgrade was offered to the 12th floor overlooking the bay and E and O. Just right!! thank you.
That room was spacious, clean, had good amenities and not "tired".
Breakfast was a substantial buffet to suit any taste and was fresh and inviting.
For clothes washing support the recovering addictions center in the Catholic Church grounds next door and have a cuppa as well.
For a great, inexpensive foot reflexology and or body massage give the Blind Association a try. Exit Cititel, Turn right go approx 200m up the street cross the road at the 7/11 store and it's upstairs. Less than A $25. Basic comforts but supports those willing to support themselves.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang and welcome back to Penang!

My team and I are most grateful to note that you have rated us with the full score! THANK YOU!

I appreciate your positive comments of our hotel services and facilities and have proudly shared them with my team here. It is also a delight to know that you took the time to explore George Town and am sure you would have noted the many positive changes in the city over the years

My team and i look forward to welcoming you back again on your next visit to Penang.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be further assistance with your 17th visit our Island for yet another fulfilling stay.

with kind regards
San Francisco
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights in early March. Very Good value. Lobby is very nice. Front desk is very friendly and even gave us wifi password before we checked in (We got to Penang very early in the morning. )
Room is clean and comfortable. Hotel is steps away from Red Garden Hawker Center, our favorite place to eat in Penang :)
The Free bus stops across the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang and I trust that you had a good trip home.

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review on your recent stay at Cititel Penang. I am delighted to note your compliments for our Front Desk team - thank you.

My team and I are pleased to know that you had an enjoyable time in Penang and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Best wishes and kind regards,
Albany, Australia
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Stayed here for two nights with our 3 youngish children. On check in we were offered to upgrade our Standard rooms as that was the only way to secure interconnecting rooms. We are glad we paid the modest price and did this to a Superior room as it also gave us a king size bed in one room and a nice outlook to the E&O hotel and water. We enjoyed being nearby the bus stop - where the CAT stopped and the trishaw stand. We ate both nights across the road at the Red Garden.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang and hope that you had a good trip home to Albany.

It is indeed very heartening to know that you and your family have enjoyed your stay with us at Cititel Penang.

We truly appreciate your kind comments about our hotel facilities and services and am glad to note that you and your family took the time to discover the various attractions in and around George Town via the city's free shuttle service.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Cititel Penang again and thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience with us.