“Central and welcoming”

Cititel Penang
Ranked #21 of 84 Hotels in George Town
“Central and welcoming”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Have been to Penang 16 times over 30 years and still enjoy visiting family and to eat!!! Stayed two nights at Cititel and thoroughly enjoyed our stay.
Agoda doesn't ask if you want smoking or non smoking so no standard non smoking rooms available a quick referral to the supervisor and a complimentary upgrade was offered to the 12th floor overlooking the bay and E and O. Just right!! thank you.
That room was spacious, clean, had good amenities and not "tired".
Breakfast was a substantial buffet to suit any taste and was fresh and inviting.
For clothes washing support the recovering addictions center in the Catholic Church grounds next door and have a cuppa as well.
For a great, inexpensive foot reflexology and or body massage give the Blind Association a try. Exit Cititel, Turn right go approx 200m up the street cross the road at the 7/11 store and it's upstairs. Less than A $25. Basic comforts but supports those willing to support themselves.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang and welcome back to Penang!

My team and I are most grateful to note that you have rated us with the full score! THANK YOU!

I appreciate your positive comments of our hotel services and facilities and have proudly shared them with my team here. It is also a delight to know that you took the time to explore George Town and am sure you would have noted the many positive changes in the city over the years

My team and i look forward to welcoming you back again on your next visit to Penang.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be further assistance with your 17th visit our Island for yet another fulfilling stay.

with kind regards
Tony Goh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
San Francisco
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights in early March. Very Good value. Lobby is very nice. Front desk is very friendly and even gave us wifi password before we checked in (We got to Penang very early in the morning. )
Room is clean and comfortable. Hotel is steps away from Red Garden Hawker Center, our favorite place to eat in Penang :)
The Free bus stops across the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang and I trust that you had a good trip home.

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review on your recent stay at Cititel Penang. I am delighted to note your compliments for our Front Desk team - thank you.

My team and I are pleased to know that you had an enjoyable time in Penang and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Albany, Australia
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Stayed here for two nights with our 3 youngish children. On check in we were offered to upgrade our Standard rooms as that was the only way to secure interconnecting rooms. We are glad we paid the modest price and did this to a Superior room as it also gave us a king size bed in one room and a nice outlook to the E&O hotel and water. We enjoyed being nearby the bus stop - where the CAT stopped and the trishaw stand. We ate both nights across the road at the Red Garden.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang and hope that you had a good trip home to Albany.

It is indeed very heartening to know that you and your family have enjoyed your stay with us at Cititel Penang.

We truly appreciate your kind comments about our hotel facilities and services and am glad to note that you and your family took the time to discover the various attractions in and around George Town via the city's free shuttle service.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Cititel Penang again and thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience with us.

With kind regards
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

We booked a superior twin room from the hotel website and were pleasantly surprised to get quite a large room with sea view on the 10th floor :) The room was clean, which is most important to us. The bed was comfortable. The lobby was huge, as some reviewers commented. The hotel is located close to one of the free hop-on-off bus which brought us to Komtar bus station where we took 401E to the airport. The opulent Eastern & Oriental Hotel is also a stone's throw away.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your gracious comments on your recent stay at Cititel Penang. My team and I are delighted to know that you have had an enjoyable time in Penang and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon for yet another memorable stay.

Please do not hesitate to contact me at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be of further assistance with your next reservations with us.

Great Malvern, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Stayed here three nights and found the standards high throughout my stay. The staff were very polite and helpful, the breakfast was excellent and the room was clean and well equipped. The hotel is well placed for exploring George Town with plenty of nearby bars/restaurants. I thought the room price to be very good for the quality. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for taking the time to share the review of our hotel and I am glad to note that you have had a wonderful stay with us in Penang.

Your positive comments of our hotel services, facilities and location are greatly appreciated – and thank you for your recommendation.

Wishing you a wonderful week ahead and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Darwin
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Second stay at Cititel hotel. Quite like the location and rooms however had concerns over 2 things this time. First, my credit card was charged by the hotel on the day of booking not the day of arriving at the hotel - difference of 3 months. Bad form! On check in, the young lady was adamant she take a copy of my credit card and I was adamant she didn't need to because my card had already been charged and, if she wanted, I could give her the date the transaction went through. In the end she said something I couldn't quite understand but thought she might have meant incidentals, i.e. mini bar or something so I gave in and handed over my credit card.

Can't quite remember what my bill said on check-out but implied the cost had just been charged rather than being 3 months previous.

Had a snack in the restaurant one day and wanted to put the cost on the bill but was told it wasn't enough and therefore had to pay in cash - bad form!

As I said great location and good rooms but, because of the above, wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank juroDarwin
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, June 30, 2013

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for writing and it is with regret to learn of the less-than-positive experience of your recent stay with us.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortcomings by our team members; re-training sessions on handling such issues have been done for the staff concerned and please be assured that such incidents will not recur.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write as it is through your feedback that we can continuously strive to improve and ensure that our guests enjoy their stay with us.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back again – do contact me at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be of further assistance.

With kind regards
Inuvik, Canada
Reviewed May 6, 2013

my girlfriend and i stayed here for 3 nights and were not disappointed. while the rooms are slightly dated, this can easily be overlooked. in general, the rooms are nice/clean and the staff was friendly and very helpful. compared to other hotels in penang, the prices here are quite reasonable. it is right across the street from an amazing night food market. would recommend it most definintely!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, May 7, 2013

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for deciding to stay with us during your recent visit to Penang. I am so glad to note that you had an enjoyable time and thank you for your kind comments on our hotel facilities and services – they are truly appreciated.

Thank you very much for your recommendation and my team and I look forward to welcoming you and your girlfriend back for yet another memorable stay.

Until then, with best wishes for a great week ahead.

With kind regards.