“Great location, paper thin walls.”
Review of Cititel Penang

Cititel Penang
Ranked #21 of 84 Hotels in George Town
“Great location, paper thin walls.”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

The location here is great, you have a lot of food options and it is walking distance to the ferry dock. I had no issues with the room or the staff, however the only annoying this was you can pretty much hear any movement from upstairs or the rooms beside you. I think they were either doing some renovating directly above my room or there was a family of 20 kids jumping up and down all night.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, April 17, 2013

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for staying with us during your recent trip to Penang and I appreciate your kind and gracious comments about our hotel facilities, service and location – thank you.

I am, however, disheartened to learn of the noise level and the discomfort it caused you during your stay here – and I am sorry that I was not made aware of this when you were still staying with us as I could have made arrangements to provide a change to another room located further away from the noise.

I do hope that this did not detract you from the overall enjoyment of your visit and look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Please do not hesitate to contact me at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be of any assistance.

Thank you once again for sharing your thoughts and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Tony Goh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Just came back with my 2 nights stayed with Cititel.

I made a booking through their hotel website and there was promotion of 10% discount with at least 2 nights stay. Extra bed can be requested through their online booking as well at 70RM/night. I feel that this is quite cheap priced.

The exterior appearance of Cititel looks quite normal but when I arrived at the hotel, the lobby is very big and nice, look kind of grand. The staff help us to unload our luggage and later brought it up or us and was very friendly.

The staffs handling check-in spoke good English and helpful in answering my query.

According to the staff when i checked in (7pm), my room was ready and with the extra bed as I am traveling with my 2 family members as well. In order to get to your level, you need to slot in your room's card in the hotel's lift which is good security.

I booked the superior room, it was clean and nice. I was given room at level 11 which is a non-smoking level. Just that when I was in my room, my extra bed was not there. I informed the staff and they quickly informed the house-keeping staff to bring the extra-bed over. The house-keeping staff were very nice and gave us extra pillows as requested.

The location of Cititel was also good, there are many coffee-shops and Chinese restaurant around. You can walk to quite a few of the sight-seeing eg. cheong fatt tze mansion and shopping places from the hotel.

Overall, I liked my stay at Cititel and would come back again next time.

Room Tip: If you have more budget, go for superior or deluxe room. Can request for non-smoking level for non-s...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, April 13, 2013

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

It is indeed very heartening to know that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us at Cititel Penang.

My team and I truly appreciate your kind comments about our hotel facilities and services and look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Cititel Penang soon.

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Gateshead, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Cititel hotel, Georgetown.
We took an airport taxi to our hotel in Georgetown. First impressions were of a large reception area with a distinct smell of tobacco. Check-in was quick and the receptionist pleasant, offering to provide local advice or access to tour guides if required. Using our key card as additional security, We took the lift to the 18th floor (we'd booked a delux room), we were a little disappointed on first impression. Like other reviewers, we noted the lingering smell of smoke despite the room being no smoking. The room was small, had a 'sea view', no space really to store two large cases. There were notable cigarette stains on the bath area, again proof that either this hadn't always been a no smoking room, or the previous clientele paid no heed to the no smoking signs! Towels and bed linen were changed daily and we were always greeted with a cheerful 'good morning' by the housekeeping staff. The windows of the room didn't open and had some sort of filter applied often meaning that the weather outside looked worse than it actually was. The aircon worked, but was a bit noisy and the bed extremely hard and uncomfortable unfortunately.
The hotel is ideally situated at the top of Penang Road with the legendary 'Red Garden' hawker food market and several other bars, guest houses (where you can also buy cheap beer and good food and while the afternoon away), mini markets and eateries, with easy access to all that Georgetown has to offer.
Venturing down for breakfasts on our first morning, to our surprise we were asked if we wanted a smoking or non-smoking table and then recalled another reviewer being similarly stunned that we can still be subjected to smoking indoors in this age. The waiter appeared very apologetic and said this was to cater for those guests who did smoke, to which I replied, "tell them to go outside"! The dining area was oppressive with little natural light unfortunately, with no access to outside space (hence allowing smokers to continue their habit indoors). The food on offer was fresh and varied, the usual 'English' breakfast, continental toast and cakes with Asian and Indian choices. The usual gripes around people choosing far more than they needed and wasting far too much, which never ceases to amaze us but happens wherever we go. We found that some guests were blatantly rude or abrupt to the staff, which they seemed to tolerate.
There was a small indoor pool and 'gym' if you can call it that. There was work underway to update the spa so that was out of action during our stay.
The hotel had various bars and eating areas as well as a small convenience store, but we never used any of these so unable to comment on their value for money.
The biggest disappointment I think was that there was no access to an outside space to enjoy the afternoon sun or just to relax outside following a heavy day walking and taking in all that Georgetown has to offer.
Would we stay here again, yes I think we would as despite the niggles mentioned above, it was we felt, good value for money, clean and central - ideal for a short stay in this cultural part of Penang.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mythos_1969
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang .

Thank you for taking the time to write and for sharing the experience of staying with us – I have taken note of the lingering smoke smell in the hotel and am in the midst of reviewing the non-smoking policy in the hotel. My sincere apologies for the discomfort and hope that it did not detract you from the overall enjoyment of your stay.

My team and I appreciate your kind thoughts and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

With best wishes and kind regards,
General Manage
Fremantle
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We have just returned from four nights at this hotel and were really impressed. We stayed in a Deluxe room with great views, the room was very well equipped and a reasonable size. If you enjoy a good start to the day the breakfast buffet will not dissapoint, with a choice of western, asian, continental and japanese options all very well prepared we really looked forward to this part of the day. Our room was pristine with extra bottles of water left each day, housekeeping deserves is a 10/10 and the staff throughout the hotel are very friendly and polite. Had one drink in the hotel bar as much for some good air con, but again very nice and relaxing. We didn't use the pool or spa facilities but this area does seem to be undergoing some enhancements. There is parking if you hire a scooter or car which is also very useful.

The hotel is well located and very close to the Red Garden food emporium where there is a huge choice of meal options (the Thai Green curry, rice, egg and cucumber for $2 was amazing) Its a busy place with a great atmosphere, a bit hands on but beer and drinks are delivered to your table as is the food once you have made your choice plus some musical entertainment from 9 pm. We had cocktails in the E & O well worth a visit and only a short stroll away or a trickshaw ride. Little India also not far. We did walk to Gurney Street the first evening but a taxi is only MYR15 again lots of options for food and drink and the Gurney Plaza is well worth a visit if you are shopping.

If we was to return to Georgetown we would look no further that the Cititel for a well managed central hotel which is excellent value for money.

Room Tip: The Deluxe rooms on the top two floors would offer the best views
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank samandfee

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

My sincere thanks for your kind and gracious compliments of our services and facilities during your recent stay at Cititel Penang – they are truly appreciated.

It is always gratifying to learn that we have exceeded your expectations during your stay - I will share your kind comments with my team, especially our Housekeeping Team, who will be equally delighted to know that the service rendered is highly appreciated and acknowledged. It is through these comments and feedback that inspires us to continue to give our best in providing a totally fulfilling experience for all our guests.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back for many more return visits and thank you once again for taking the time to write.

Thank you for recommending our hotel in your review.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Booked online with hotel directly, am quite happy with their reservation staff as they replied to my queries efficiently and were very helpful to assist me on other stuff. When we arrived at the hotel driveway, there's no one to help us unload the luggages. The hotel lobby was quite impressive and looks very classy. Checking in was fast. We booked deluxe room with sea view, room is quite small (it's actually the same size as the standard room, just that deluxe room is on higher floor and there is sea view). Bathroom facilities are very basic and is quite small as well. If you had stayed Cititel Mid Valley's deluxe room before, you would really feel that this deluxe room doesn't feel deluxe at all. Hotel's location is quite accessible, you can easily find food once you step out. Overall, still can get a good night's sleep if your expectations are not very high.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for taking the time to share the experience of your recent stay with us and appreciate your kind words about our Reservations team.

My sincere apologies for the lack of attention upon your arrival – please be assured that this is not our usual standards of service that we maintain here at Cititel Penang and I have reiterated to my Front Office Team to ensure that this does not recur.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write as it is through your feedback that we can continuously strive to improve and ensure that our guests enjoy their stay with us.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you and your friends back again soon.

SELANGOR
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I stay at Cititel Penang at least once every year for the past six or seven years, at least. This year, I was there for five nights in late March. I will be there again for three nights in early April.
The greatest improvement I have noticed is in staff efficiency. Check-in is now faster and smoother. Staff are friendly and helpful.
As for the rooms, they have been upgraded but are nothing to shout about. They're comfortable enough and give you a good night's sleep, that's it. In-room facilities are adequate and the beds just right (for Asians, maybe. Others may prefer a softer bed). Housekeeping is efficient. The bathroom could be improved though.
The whole hotel is bright and clean and the staff polite and warm.
The only grouse I have with it is regarding its reservation policy. They encourage online booking. That's fine, I have no problem with that. But the difference in the rates for online booking and phone bookings or walk-ins is too wide. For example, a deluxe room goes for about RM200 a night with online booking; you may even get a discount. Reserve by phone (with credit card guarantee) or book personally at the front desk (for your next stay) and the room will cost you around RM100 more.
This means that those without credit cards or those who want to pay cash will have to fork out 50 per cent more! That, I think, is too high. That is unfair to them. They should charge those who phone in or walk in a rate that is just slightly higher, say, 15-20 per cent, that those who use online booking. After all, not everyone owns a credit card, and those who do may want to pay cash instead. They are guests too, why that much a difference!

Room Tip: Pay a little and go for the corner rooms
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear Mr Yeong

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you very much for your continued support and for staying with us when you are in Penang.

Thank you for your gracious comments about our services and hotel facilities and kindly allow me to explain our online reservations policy; as with other online reservations system, the rates online are relatively much cheaper than other sources of booking, due to the fact that there are limited number of rooms with the very special rates available online. Hence, we encourage our guests to book online earlier, to enjoy the special rates available, albeit the terms and conditions of online booking differ from that of booking directly with our Reservations Department.

I appreciate your kind understanding and thank you once again for taking the time to write in.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Cititel Penang the next time you visit.

Until then, my best wishes for a great weekend ahead.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Booked online 3 rooms and stayed 2 nights with a group of friends. We managed an early check-in which was quick and smooth. Reception staff were prompt and helpful, including contacting a doctor for us. Stayed on non-smoking, high floor with good views. Wi-fi was ok. Wide selection for a buffet breakfast. Very good location, short walking distance to amenities and heritage sites. On the whole, was a good experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, April 2, 2013

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

It is wonderful to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your kind and gracious comments about our facilities, services and location.

My team members and I look forward to welcoming you back to Cititel Penang on your next visit and our sincere thanks once again for sharing your experience with us.