“Competitive price, good location, too few car parkings available” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cititel Penang

and 1 more site!
Cititel Penang
Ranked #20 of 82 Hotels in George Town
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Competitive price, good location, too few car parkings available”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

We reached the hotel around 1:30 pm local time, which is earlier than advertised check-in time but they allowed us to check in anyway. We booked the deluxe room through Agoda which has mentioned about having breakfast bundled but when we check-in at the hotel, they did not mention anything about the breakfast at all. Since we are pretty familiar with Penang, we didn't bother to ask about it as we prefer to have our breakfast outside after all. We drove around the island during the day, and when we reached the hotel at night, we found that the parking is terribly congested. There is almost no place to park at all, due to some company's dinner at the hotel, and we have to let loose the handbrake when double-parking so that the parking attendant can push the car themselves. They really should expand the parking if possible. The hotel location is near to the famous mural paintings around Georgetown, some within walking distance but some others will need bicycle for sure. There are a few good place to eat within walking distance, the famous Nasi Kandar, the morning market in Jln Penang, plenty of 24 hours mini-mart as well, I guess this is the best we can get in Penang. WiFi is complimentary for the room guest? I am not sure as we received a code to use the wifi as soon as we check-in. 2 bottles of water is given daily which is well below daily consumption for 2 person, I would suggest hotels to give more complimentary water if more than 1 person is staying in the room.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the sea, though blocked by some other hotels, still can get 80% view of the sea.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
TonyGoh-GM, Front Office Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Penang.

I apologise for the inconvenience encountered at our car park - our car park facilities are usually sufficient for our in-house guests' usage, but locating a space to park may be a bit of a challenge when our function halls are taken up for events at the same time when we are running on high occupancy. In such circumstances, our car-park concessionaire has been duly informed that the priority of car park space is to be accorded to our in-house guests. I will personally have a word with them on this again.

We do provide complimentary WIFI connection for two users per room and I regret to know that this was not fully explained upon your check-in. My front office team has been briefed to ensure that this does not recur, as with my Housekeeping team to accommodate requests for additional bottled drinking water by our guests.

I hope that the above issues did not detract you from the overall enjoyment of your stay and look forward to the opportunity of serving you again at Cititel Penang .

with kind personal regards
Tony Goh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

After one night being disappointed elsewhere in Georgetown we changed to Cititel and were very happy. Young Kelvin on reception was very helpful with booking and checking in and all staff we met seemed very good. We had a good deluxe room on the 16th floor with a decent view of both city and sea. They provided a good spread of both western and oriental food at breakfast and even had a Japanese corner. We did not use any of the other facilities so could not rate them

• 5 of 5 bubbles
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Guest

Warmest Greetings from Cititel Penang!

Thank you for your positive comments about your recent stay with us. I am truly appreciative of your kind words about our services and facilities and have shared them with my team here.

It is always a delight to know that we have exceeded our guests' expectations during their stay with us and your appreciation is great motivation to all of us here.

My sincere thanks, once again, for taking the time to share your experience at Cititel Penang and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Penang.

Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

We stay from 1Feb to 4Feb. We have bring some green mango when we check in at the first day,and we put it in the freezer. I put on the "Make Up Room" sticker when we go out at 3Feb morning. We want to eat the green mango after we come back in the evening,but we got only one mango now,someone has stolen my mango. It is so lucky to us, because we only lose a mango, but this hotel was already downgrade in my mind, and I want to tell the information to all the people beware of your value item when you choice this hotel.
The second story is also let me unacceptable. We got only a few clothes for our trip,so my wife hand wash many clothes and trousers and put it in the room.So I put the key card in the room to let the air condition keep on. But after we come back in the evening, I find out the key card was gone.And the room power is shut down, my clothes and trousers still wet and got a bad smell. We haven't the clean clothes to change,I am very angry about that. One more point is very important. I don't know who take the key card, so I request the reception change my key card password immediately.
The third story is very ridiculous. We book the room for two people status, but we got only one slipper and one toothbrush during the three night stay.

Room Tip: Room is good for higher floors
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Vincent w
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for taking the time to share the experience of your stay with us. Please accept my profound apologies for the unpleasant experience with the service rendered during your stay.

Please be rest assured that all feedback received will be reviewed for improvement and that will include re-training for the staff concerned and an overall service audit, where necessary, to ensure such experience will not recur in future.

Once again, our sincere apologies for the shortcomings and we welcome another opportunity to serve you again with a more positive stay experience.

Please do not hesitate to contact me at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be of further assistance.

Shenzhen, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

Cititel was a great experience. From staff that was considerate, friendly, knowledgeable and amenities that were top-notch, it was an overall great place to stay.

Given its proximity to Fort Cornwallis, nightclubs and bars, as well as good shopping, it is a gem. The price was good, the location great, the staff was excellent and the food in the hotel was genuinely a treat.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang and I trust that you had a good trip back to Jinan.

Reading your review was indeed a great way to start the new month! THANK YOU for giving us full marks on our hotel facilities and services!

I am very glad to note that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us at Cititel Penang and it is most gratifying to know that we have exceeded your expectations.

Thank you for recommending Cititel Penang and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Wishing you a great week ahead and best wishes for a Happy and Prosperous Year Of the Snake.

Gong Xi Fa Cai from all of us at Cititel Penang.

With kind regards,
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

My family of three stayed here for the first time from 25/1/2013 to 28/1/2013 in a deluxe room(seaview).Checking in and checking out were hazzle-free.They have a transport and tour counter at the entrance,and it makes getting a car or a tour a breeze.You pay the cash and they issue a receipt.It sure beats going around looking for a cab.The 5 hour guided tour offered by Capital One is superb,and overall,the hotel staff are friendly and helpful.

There are many of good restaurants nearby,eg.Salsa,Foong Wei Heong,etc.It's only about 15 mins walk to the the heart of Chinatown,where there are even more Chinese restaurants - Tai Tong Restoran (Lebuh Cintra) has great dim-sum served the traditional push-cart style.If you are looking for a good priced hotel within a great location,you can't go wrong with Cititel.

H.F.Leong.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Mr Leong

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang!

I am thoroughly delighted to know that you and your family have enjoyed your recent stay at Cititel Penang and thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

It is always gratifying to know that we have exceeded our guests' expectations during their stay with us and your appreciation is great motivation to all of us here. I also hope that you had a great time exploring our heritage city during your stay.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us and please do not hesitate to contact me directly at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be of assistance with your reservations.

Until then, may I extend my best wishes to you and family for a happy and prosperous Year of the Snake 2013!

Gong Xi Fa Cai.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

we goot a connceting room, with a courtesy of the front desk staff name Rohan, the swimming pool is indoor, even its abit small compare to others, but its cozy with Jacuzzi :D walking distance to soho bistro, 7eleven, mamak stall just few min walk... room is big and clean, i got a sea view and KOMTAR view, inside the hotel have 3 types of restaurant and also lounge. free parking, even parking is less, they took care of their customers. But the lobby restroom is so dirty when it comes to midnight. overall it is gud and surely will come again for a stay here, and recommend to friends :D

Room Tip: try to ask for some gud views, or corner rooms :)
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thank P.Varshini
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang .

Thank you for your kind review on your stay at Cititel Penang – my team and I are delighted to know that you had an enjoyable time in Penang.

Sincere thanks for recommending us and we look forward to welcoming you and your friends back again soon.

Best wishes and kind regards,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

Checked in on the 26th Jan 2013 (Geoegetown, Penang) and greeted by their most helpful front desk. My friend and I booked 3 rooms for a night and asked for a little later checkout on the next day. The front counter ladies just let us checkout at 1:30pm. I had a great experience with Cititel and will definitely return on my next trip!!

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang!

It is most heartening to note that you have enjoyed your stay here - thank you for your positive comments and for your kind words about our Front Office team.

My sincere thanks, once again, for taking the time to share your experience at Cititel Penang and for your recommendation.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Penang.