“It was OK - till I checked out. Then the service got real bad”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Cititel Penang

Cititel Penang
Ranked #20 of 84 Hotels in George Town
Kuala Lumpur
“It was OK - till I checked out. Then the service got real bad”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

To be honest, I did not have a problem with this hotel until the end when I checked out.

Location was good.
Hotel is a bit old and outdated, but I suppose it is still clean and well maintained.
Mattress was a bit hard for my liking.
The aircon was a bit weak at night, and when you turn on the room fan - it becomes too cold.

I had no major complaints, till I checked out.

There were 2 staff at reception.
One male Chinese, pretending to do work on his computer.
One female Chinese, serving customers alone.

A line formed up, and the Chinese male staff pretended / ignored the people queue up in front of him. He simply ignored them without telling them not to queue, till the guests got fed up and left the queue.
These people then decided to cut in front of me (served by the Chinese female).
When I complained, the male Chinese staff simply shrugged and walked off leaving the Chinese lady to serve the line by herself.

Fortunately at that point, a female Chinese supervisor came out and immediately served me.

Unfortunately - the experience left a bitter taste in my mouth, and I will never return to any Cititel hotel. Never.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MacGrumpy
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us and I regret to learn of the disappointment encountered during checking out.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the lack of service and attention upon your check-out; I have identified the said staff who has since been reprimanded on his behaviour which is totally unacceptable. Do be assured that this is not our usual standards of service that we maintain here at Cititel Penang and I have reiterated to my Front Office Manager to ensure that this does not recur.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write as it is through your feedback that we can continuously strive to improve and ensure that our guests enjoy their stay with us.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back again – do contact me at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be of further assistance.

Tony Goh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

We booked 3 rooms and stayed on the 11th floor 2 corner rooms and a connecting room. Beautiful seaview and the corner room also has two windows, one facing the sea and the other facing the town. Bathrooms are large and clean, although a bit old in design. Opposite the hotel is the MPPP Cat shuttle bus which is free and the bus goes around georgetown and ends at the jetty bus terminal. There are other public buses at the same bus stop that could take you to the various tourist sites. We didn't try the hotel breakfast as there were many eating places outside the hotel serving local Penang food. We had dim sum lunch at the Chinese restaurant and was pleasantly surprised when our bill was presented. They were offering dim sum at 50% discount on weekdays which we were not aware of. House keeping staff are polite. We asked for late check-out and the counter staff had no problem with our request at all. They also helped us to contact our driver when he was late for our transfer to the airport. Overall a very good experience with Cititel and we would definitely return to stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for the corner room on a high floor.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Low H
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, January 27, 2013

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang!

I appreciate your taking the time to share the experience of your stay at Cititel Penang and Thank You very much for your gracious comments about our team members, facilities and service rendered. It is always a delight to know that we have exceeded your expectations and hope that you have had a memorable timehere.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you and your friends back the next time you are in Penang and thank you once again for your recommendation.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

Cititel is at prime location. Everything is just walking distance. Hawker stalls, restaurants, 7/11 and pubs everything is right there. Rooms are small but clean and comfortable bed. Staff is friendly and help you find your way around the city / attractions and give some handy tips too. Great service. Breakfast is just too good. They have all the cuisines like Malay, Chinese, Indian, Continental, Japanese!! Would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone.

Penang Georgetown is more popular for its authentic meals like Char Koay Teow, Cendol, Hokkien mee... Popular attractions are Gurney Drive, Penang Hill, Kek Lok Si temple, Reclining Buddha Temple.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vikrant B
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, January 21, 2013

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang!

Thank you for your positive comments about your recent stay with us - It is always a delight to know that we have exceeded our guests' expectations during their stay with us and your appreciation of my team, the service and facilities is great motivation to all of us here.

My sincere thanks, once again, for taking the time to share your experience at Cititel Penang and for your recommendation in your review.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to another fulfilling stay at Cititel Penang.

Until then, my best wishes for a great year ahead.

Johor Bahru, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

I find this hotel remarkably well situated in the heart of Penang's George Town. Penang as everybody know is also the heart of Malaysian's food culture. It is no suprise that we find it extremely convenience to find that most great Penang authentic food such as Nasi Kandar, Cendol, Char Koay Teow and many more is just at walkable distance from the hotel. The hotel staff are friendly and makes the stay even more comfortable. We stayed at the 7th floor,.. so we cant really comment if our comfort of sleep is not affected by the bustling day and night activity at hotel vicinity.But what I can comment is that the stay was definitely comfortable with the clean room and spacious room. The best thing about this hotel as well is that it do provide free wifi for one electronic device. I certainly did use this luxury to find good eating places at the vicinity of the hotel.
However I do find the car park at this hotel to be a bit tricky as the space is a bit small for my vehicle comfort (I drove toyota hilux). Thankfully there are staffs on standby to guide our parking especially during our first night stay in which there was a wedding banquet.

I truely will recommend family to come here to stay at this hotel as there are readily parking at the hotel, its within walking distance of Penang's best food places and friendly staffs.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear Guest

My sincere thanks for your kind and gracious compliments of our services and facilities during your recent stay at Cititel Penang – they are truly appreciated.

It is always gratifying to learn that we have exceeded your expectations during your stay - I will share your kind comments with my team, who will be equally delighted to know that the service rendered is highly appreciated and acknowledged. It is through these comments and feedback that inspires us to continue to give our best in providing a totally fulfilling experience for all our guests.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you and your family for many more return visits and thank you once again for taking the time to write.

Thank you for recommending our hotel in your review.

With kind regards,
jakarta barat
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

if you go Penang can choose this hotel , the location is strategic and easy to find delicious food like de tai tong dim sum , only 2 minutes walk. Go to 1st avenue also very near , about 15 minutes walk.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank elisabethadwin a
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang .

Thank you for recommending Cititel Penang – my team and I appreciate your kind review and we look forward to welcoming you and your friends back soon.

Best wishes for a great year ahead!

Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

Quite a grand hotel when you walk in. The room was very clean, spacious and the bed provided us with good sleep.

The staff are really great. Totally on the ball. Breakfast was very varied, catering for Japanese, Chinese, Indian and Malaysian. Western too, but why bother? Loads of fruit, salad, juices and OK coffee. Again, the staff there are great.

Athough we didn't use it, the Japanese restaurant looked good and we sadly used the one to the right of the hotel, which was mediocre. The Indian cafe across the road is pretty good and SO cheap.

The pool, gym, steam room and sauna were all of a good standard.

Location-wise, you are a very short rickshaw ride away from the old town, stacked full of grand colonial buildings, top notch Chinese dim sum joints and more.

Turn left from the hotel and you've got the city's main night clubs and some good bars. Quite civilised i.e no drunk idiots shrieking etc. If you want the beach though and the hawker stores, they are a pretty long taxi trip away. Worth it though.

Very minor negative, and I even feel bad for bothering, but the wifi was annoying, only allowing two devices at one time. Just a minor niggle, as we have loads of IT (iPhones, iPads and a laptop) stuff, as I was working whilst away.

Really liked it and it helped make our experience of Penang a really positive one.

Room Tip: We had a standard room, which was just fine and sea facing. You cold perhaps check yours is too?
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank castino
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang and I trust that you had a good trip home.

Thank you for your gracious comments on our hotel facilities and services - I am very glad to note that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us at Cititel Penang and it is most gratifying to know that we have exceeded your expectations.

Thank you for recommending Cititel Penang and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Wishing you a great year ahead!

Shah Alam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

This is my 4th stay at Cititel Penang and the reason why I keep coming back is because it offers very decent rooms in a great location in Penang. Walking distance to UNESCO World Heritage Sites, Chowrasta Market, the extremely famous Penang Road cendol and Line Clear Nasi Kandar.

The building itself is old but they have refurbished the lobby and several levels of rooms. You may have read negative reviews on the some of the rooms and I would guess that the reviewers stated in one of the cheaper Standard Rooms. My first visit was in a Standard Room with the 2nd and subsequent visits in the slightly more expensive Deluxe Rooms. The Deluxe Rooms are worth the additional cost and I cannot fault them at all apart from the slightly older shower facilities.

In-room safe, bathrobes, slippers, a very complete set of toiletries (rare at this price point) are all provided.

Parking is not as limited as mentioned in other reviews. I stayed during peak season Christmas and never once did I not have a parking bay for me.

Room Tip: Ask for the pricier refurbished Deluxe rooms and one that faces the sea.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang!

It is indeed very heartening to know that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us at Cititel Penang and thank you for recommending our Deluxe Rooms.

My team and I truly appreciate your taking the time to compliment our hotel facilities and services and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon.

Thank you once again for sharing and may I wish you a great week and a wonderful year ahead.