“Comfortable place to stay in Penang city centre”
Review of Cititel Penang

Cititel Penang
Ranked #21 of 84 Hotels in George Town
Shah Alam
“Comfortable place to stay in Penang city centre”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

This is my 4th stay at Cititel Penang and the reason why I keep coming back is because it offers very decent rooms in a great location in Penang. Walking distance to UNESCO World Heritage Sites, Chowrasta Market, the extremely famous Penang Road cendol and Line Clear Nasi Kandar.

The building itself is old but they have refurbished the lobby and several levels of rooms. You may have read negative reviews on the some of the rooms and I would guess that the reviewers stated in one of the cheaper Standard Rooms. My first visit was in a Standard Room with the 2nd and subsequent visits in the slightly more expensive Deluxe Rooms. The Deluxe Rooms are worth the additional cost and I cannot fault them at all apart from the slightly older shower facilities.

In-room safe, bathrobes, slippers, a very complete set of toiletries (rare at this price point) are all provided.

Parking is not as limited as mentioned in other reviews. I stayed during peak season Christmas and never once did I not have a parking bay for me.

Room Tip: Ask for the pricier refurbished Deluxe rooms and one that faces the sea.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang!

It is indeed very heartening to know that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us at Cititel Penang and thank you for recommending our Deluxe Rooms.

My team and I truly appreciate your taking the time to compliment our hotel facilities and services and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon.

Thank you once again for sharing and may I wish you a great week and a wonderful year ahead.

Tony Goh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Hyderabad, India
Reviewed January 14, 2013

The hotel is ideally located with few shopping malls nearby. Lack of coordination between the travel agent in India and the local tour operator and they messed it up big time. The booking confirmation was delayed and we had to wait at the reception for almost an hour doing nothing. The rooms are good and can be much better. Lot of shops nearby which are run by Bangladesis and you feel as if you are in a busy street of Kolkatta. Nice to see Lord Venkateswara temple nearby. The dinner served was okay and the buffet breakfast served was a bit of disappointment. Can add more varieties to the menu though. Overall,its value for money.

Room Tip: Request for a room on the top floor which has an amazing view of the sea.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for taking the time to share the review for your recent stay here. I regret to learn of the co-ordination hiccups between the travel agents and hope that it did not detract you from the overall enjoyment of your stay.

Having read your comments about our breakfast spread selections, I have spoken to my Executive Chef to be more attentive to the planning of the daily breakfast menu items, although we have received many guest comments expressing their liking for the breakfast served.

Trust that you had an enjoyable time in Penang and my team and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you and your friends for another stay soon.

Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Very convenience area if wanna looking for food. The famous nasi kandar - Line Clear just around the corner and same row with KOMTAR / Perangin Mall ( about 5 minutes walking distance ). The traffic condition a bit bad sometimes since it's located at the heart of Georgetown. The room is very nice as this hotel provide guest with both ceiling fan and air-condition as well.

The bathroom will "entertain" your nose with such a moist smell all the time !! you better keep the bathroom's door close properly all the way.

The parking was so limited !! but the car park's team will take a look of your vehicle so you can enjoy you sleep.

SO FAR SO GOOD staying here ~~

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us and trust that you had a good trip home.

My sincere apologies for the lack of attention to details in your room – please be assured that this is not our usual standards of service that we maintain here at Cititel Penang and I have reiterated to my Housekeeper to ensure that this does not recur.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write as it is through your feedback that we can continuously strive to improve and ensure that our guests enjoy their stay with us.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon – do contact me at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be of further assistance.

Wishing you a great week and a good year ahead.

Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We recently stayed a few nights at Cititel Penang. Based on the fact that the hotel was located almost smack in the middle of Georgetown, and that the room rates were very reasonable, I had prepared to see a mediocre hotel with minimum service. So, I was quite pleasantly surprised to see a large and well lit lobby, and be checked in by a very efficient and friendly staff (Check-out was also quite fast). Lift access to the rooms was by card key only, providing a sense of security.

Over the next few days, we would discover that the hotel was within walking distance to the UNESCO World Heritage Site, nice eateries/restaurants and shopping areas. The travel agency situated just outside the hotel entrance provided safe and reasonably priced chartered taxi service, which we welcomed, especially after our earlier bad experience having to take a grossly overpriced local taxi following a shopping trip.

Now, the rooms. We had a non-smoking Deluxe room, and although rather small, it was a reasonably clean and comfy room, with a partial ocean view (the sea was about 1km from the hotel). Our only complaint was that the bed was too hard - not the spine-support kind of hard, but it was bordering uncomfortable. The pillows were also too high and too hard for comfort - and I was told that they could only provide one kind of pillows in the hotel, even if we were to upgrade to an Executive Suite. The bathroom was old and amenities very, very mediocre (despite our room being one grade higher than the superior room) - if I were to give our Deluxe room a 3-star rating, the bathroom would be 2-star.

Overall I think it is still a good choice for travelers who want to have easy access to the historic sites and yet do not want to spend too much on accommodation. Personally I would return to the hotel if I were planning another budget trip to Penang, but this time I would bring my own pillow...and perhaps even a mattress pad.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank AgentPing
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang! It is a delight to know that you and your friends had an enjoyable stay with us recently.

We truly appreciate your kind comments about our team, the service rendered and our hotel facilities; yes, many of our guests are pleasantly surprised at how convenient it is to move around from here for shopping, dining and even sight-seeing, and I'm glad you took the time to discover the various attractions in and around George Town.

I apologise for the discomfort at bedtime – we do have have feather and foam pillows available for our guests’ selection upon their request and I am sorry that you were misinformed. The Front Office and Housekeeping staff have been retrained to ensure that they are aware of this and to provide the correct information to our guests at all times.

I do hope that this did not detract you from your overall stay with us and my team and I look forward to welcoming you and your friends back to Cititel Penang on your next visit.

Singapore
Reviewed January 8, 2013

This is my 3rd stay with the hotel. The service provided by this hotel is commendable. Check-in was prompt. When I requested for an additional bed, it arrived in 10 minutes and when I explained that I have accidentally lost my room access card, it was replaced with no questions asked.

The location is good and there are many good Penang local food just a stone throw away and not to mention a couple of other tourist attractions.

Overall, for the price you pay, I personally think it is value for money. I would rate this hotel between and 3 to 4 star. Although I have to agree with some of the comments here that the hotel is a little run down and you do get smoke smell around the lobby and corridor. When I am in my non- smoking room, There is no smoke smell. The hotel toilet do need a little refurbishment but it is not dirty.

Parking is a problem when there is an event, otherwise parking is provided free.

Overall I would still return to stay in this hotel when I go to Penang again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank sgpgal
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang!

It is indeed very heartening to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us at Cititel Penang and thank you for your impartial review of our hotel. We appreciate your kind comments which are a motivation to us and Thank You for recommending our hotel.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back soon and wish you the very best for 2013.

Kind regards

Koh Samui
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Although they say the rooms have been refurbished it must of been 10 years ago. They have a non smoking floor but you still have smoke coming into your rooms. There is not a non smoking area in this hotel, they allow smoking in the restaurant, the pinnacle room lounge just everywhere. We booked the pinnacle room for free soft drinks and snacks, what a waste of money. In the afternoon the owner of the hotel uses this room for his own guests so there is no room for hotel guests to sit. There are only 3 sofas in the room and the odd few chairs, the snacks you have to order from the restaurant as there are no staff to serve you. The rooms are dated with cigarette burns in the sheets and when you take off the pillow case the pillows are yellow. Breakfast is of a low standard and cleaning of the restaurant is of a very low standard. The chambermaid has to clean 21 rooms on her own each day and the rooms are not cleaned some days not until 17.00hrs
There does not seem to be enough staff for the amount of guests the hotel has. The only good part of this hotel was leaving on our last day.

Room Tip: Look for a different hotel, you have been warned
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Les2406
Dear Mr Attwood

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for writing and it is with much regret to learn of the less-than-positive experience of your recent stay with us. I am sorry that we do not provide a totally smoke-free environment within the hotel but please be assured that our Maintenance Manager and Housekeeper are always checking the ventilation and air-flow and are constantly looking into ways to further improve the air quality of our public areas and in our guestrooms. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience and discomfort encountered.

I apologise for our oversight on not paying attention to the details – my Housekeeping Team is aware of our shortfall in this instance, and please be assured that this will not recur.

Thank you once again for writing as it is through these feedback that we can continuously strive to improve and ensure that our guests enjoy their stay with us.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon – please do not hesitate to contact me at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be of any assistance.

Until then, my best wishes for a great year ahead.

Sentosa Island, Singapore
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Cititel has always being my first choice every time I am in Penang. In fact, this was my 3rd stay in the last 2 years. The experience for the first 2 times was fantastic. Location was good and services, from check-in, housekeeping to concierge were excellent.

My latest stay over the new year was equally good. Hosekeeping and counter staff were great. The disappointment this time came from one of the concierge staff who tried really hard to get us to book services from the travel and transport counter setup by some external agent in the hotel and in the process provided distorted facts and information. Our question to him was only on where to take certain public bus service.

Then came my time to depart for the airport. I walked out of the hotel lobby and came the staff of this external agent asking if I want taxi (mind you, theirs is not providing taxi but chauffered car). I said yes and asked how much. When I said too expensive, the attitude changed instantly and said "it was only 10 ringgits more" and said if I want a normal taxi, I would have to cross the road to the taxi queue. During this period, no concierge staff of the hotel was around to assist. So my wife and I have to drag our luggages across a really busy road to get our taxi. How mecenary can this be! Having said the above, I still must qualified that the other concierge staff were still fantastic!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Mr Ng

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment encountered during your recent stay with us. I would like to assure you that this is not our usual standards of service and have had personally reminded the Front Office Manager and team that such an episode must not recur.

Our Front Office Team would have been delighted to assist you with your onward transport arrangement had we known of your requirement – I apologise for this oversight and that our team did not enquire further upon your check-out.

I have also had a stern word with the transport concessionaire about the behaviour of the staff at the counter.

I appreciate your gracious comments about the services from the other areas and sincerely hope that you will stay with us again on your next visit to Penang. Please write me at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be of further assistance.

Wishing you and Mrs Ng a happy weekend and a great year ahead.

Tony