“Disappointed this time”
Review of Cititel Penang

Cititel Penang
Ranked #20 of 87 Hotels in George Town
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Cititel has always being my first choice every time I am in Penang. In fact, this was my 3rd stay in the last 2 years. The experience for the first 2 times was fantastic. Location was good and services, from check-in, housekeeping to concierge were excellent.

My latest stay over the new year was equally good. Hosekeeping and counter staff were great. The disappointment this time came from one of the concierge staff who tried really hard to get us to book services from the travel and transport counter setup by some external agent in the hotel and in the process provided distorted facts and information. Our question to him was only on where to take certain public bus service.

Then came my time to depart for the airport. I walked out of the hotel lobby and came the staff of this external agent asking if I want taxi (mind you, theirs is not providing taxi but chauffered car). I said yes and asked how much. When I said too expensive, the attitude changed instantly and said "it was only 10 ringgits more" and said if I want a normal taxi, I would have to cross the road to the taxi queue. During this period, no concierge staff of the hotel was around to assist. So my wife and I have to drag our luggages across a really busy road to get our taxi. How mecenary can this be! Having said the above, I still must qualified that the other concierge staff were still fantastic!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Dear Mr Ng

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us and trust that you had a good trip home.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment encountered during your recent stay with us. I would like to assure you that this is not our usual standards of service and have had personally reminded the Front Office Manager and team that such an episode must not recur.

Our Front Office Team would have been delighted to assist you with your onward transport arrangement had we known of your requirement – I apologise for this oversight and that our team did not enquire further upon your check-out.

I have also had a stern word with the transport concessionaire about the behaviour of the staff at the counter.

I appreciate your gracious comments about the services from the other areas and sincerely hope that you will stay with us again on your next visit to Penang. Please write me at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be of further assistance.

Wishing you and Mrs Ng a happy weekend and a great year ahead.

Tony

Write a ReviewReviews (1,096)

Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

Stayed just 2 nights en route from medan to bangkok. Room was better, clean, good aircon and quiet. One can walk out to the money changers and a whole variety of food. Now I'm sure this is my favorite hotel in penang.

Dear Michael

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for staying with us once again on your recent stop-over. We truly appreciate your kind comments and recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Happy travels and wishing you a great year ahead.

Tony

Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

We really liked this hotel. In our opinion it's great value, the service is excellent, breakfast is good and it's in a great location for going out on the town. It's also only a 5min walk to little India and is close to the bus station to get to Batu Ferengi.
The rooms are a bit on the small side however and the gym could do with some updating (still usable however)

• Stayed: December 2012
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2013

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for taking the time to share the review of our hotel and I hope that you had a wonderful stay in Penang. Your positive comments of our hotel services and location are greatly appreciated – thank you.

May I wish you a splendid start to the New Year and we look forward to your return soon.

Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

Very reasonable price for a decent hotel in Georgetown. Very conveniently located and easy access to town area and gurney drive as well as the esplanade and chew jetty.

The room condition is a bit letdown but decent size. Breakfast is okay. Service overall is good. A reasonable priced hotel in Penang for those who are travelling there.

2  Thank David A
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2012

Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang..

Thank you for taking the time to share the comments for your recent stay with us. Am pleased to note that our hotel location is plus point during your stay. Our thanks, too, for your kind comments on the service rendered.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to again soon and until then, our best wishes for a Happy 2013 and beyond!

Kind regards

Reviewed December 23, 2012

Arriving at Cititel was quite a surprise - it was so much fancier than I'd expected! The amount I'd paid for my stay, due to a fantastic discount on Agoda, made me think it would be a regular 3 or 4 star affair - or perhaps I was working on australian prices? In any case, the service was excellent - my old beaten backpack has never had a ride on a fancy hotel trolley before. The staff were very friendly and attentive. The room was clean and well appointed - free wi-fi, toiletries, room safe, iron and ironing board - and even a friendly gecko living in the bathroom. The breakfast buffet was amazing - Ive never seen such variety before. You could have everything from sushi, curry and Nasi Goreng to toast, congee, salad and fresh fruit. it's a shame they don't leave it on all day - I could have easily eaten dinner there too. There are a couple of restaurants in the foyer, along with a convenience store and a florist. They are quite expensive though, compared to the Indian place across the road (great curries for under AUD$4 a plate) - and the Hawker Market across the road. The 'Main Street Cafe' wasn't open for dinner the five nights I was there, but with so many eateries in the surrounding area, this was no loss. I was a bit sick during my stay, so decided to order room service one night. The meal was very good, served quickly and hot and the price was very fair (about AUD$10 for a curry and a fresh lime juice).
Cititel's location is good. Apart from the aforementioned eateries, there are also a number of convenience stores nearby. The free tourist bus stops across the road and Sam's Batiks is just down the street, for all your batik needs. A highlight of the trip was a cooking class at Nazlina's Spice Station, which is a short five minute walk down Muntri Road. There is an ATM around the corner, though one in the foyer would have been even more convenient.
If you like to explore a city by walking, Cititel is well located on the edge of the Hertitage listed town. Little India, the Museum and Art Gallery, Fort Cornwallis and a myriad of Chinese Temples and Clan house are all within walking distance. And, if your feet get tired, taxis are so cheap and plentiful it isn't hard to get home. It's also near the Upper Penang Street nightclub area. There is also a bus that goes to the Tropical Spice Garden and Batu Ferringhi in the next street.
The staff were very helpful and friendly - although the guy hanging around out the front offered an unavailable car and driver a few times. I had a 4am checkout to catch a flight and, even though I had forgotten to advise them, the staff gave me a breakfast pack and organised a taxi for me, on the spot at 4am.

Room Tip: I'd suggest asking for a room with a sea view - I spent some very memorable evening hours watchi...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Tina C

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for your kind and gracious comments of our staff and services – I am indeed very happy that you had a delightful time with us and that we have exceeded your expectations during your stay here. It is with much pride for me to share your comments with my team.

The Main Street Café is open for all day dining daily (ala carte orders), but serves buffet dinners over the weekend (Japanese themed buffet dinners from Fridays to Sundays). Am sure you would have loved our healthy menu selections from the ala carte menu.

I hope to welcome you back to Cititel Penang on your next visit to our island - please do not hesitate to contact me directly at if I may be of assistance in any way at all.

Until then, my best wishes for a wonderful New Year 2013!

Reviewed December 23, 2012

Cititel Penang is at a very good and prime location. Just mins walk you will find many eateries, 7/11 shops and pubs/clubs around. From Hotel taxi - to Gurney drive is 10RM, to Kek Lok Si temple and Penang Hill is 25RM, to Reclining / Sleeping Buddha Temple is 10RM, to Komtar is 10RM. There is also a bus stop 5mins walk which drops you close to these tourist spots and is much cheaper. If you are travelling from Kuala Lumpur, you can take the bus from Puduraya Bus Station and get dropped off at Komtar (Penang) which is just 10 mins drive to the Hotel.

Rooms are very nice, neat, tidy with clean sheets, towels. Bed is cozy and comfortable. Needful amenities are provided. Room is although small and not very spacious. We didn't have any problems with our room.

Staff is friendly and helpful. We requested for an hour extra for checkout and got it.

Breakfast was very good. Good selection of different cuisines - Continental, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Malay etc.

We booked it at the last minute so ended up paying more but we were happy with our room and service provided.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Neha S

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for taking the time to share the review of our hotel and I trust that you had a wonderful stay in Penang.

Your positive comments of my team members and hotel facilities and location are greatly appreciated – thank you.

My team and I extend our warmest wishes for a Happy New Year and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights. Booked 3 rooms. Even though rooms were non smoking, they had a cig smoke smell. Not very big rooms, felt a bit cramped after staying in other more spacious hotels. The shampoo that was provided was in a wall pump by the shower & smelled gross. Doubt most ppl will even use it. The non skid bath mat was eww, had moldy type dark spots on it. Kept it on the floor when we showered.

Breakie had a nice selection, so no complaints there.

Overall it was in a nice central location in the heritage area of Penang.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Warmest Greetings from Cititel Penang!

Thank you for taking the time to write and your kind comments are most appreciated.

It is with regret that our hotel does not have a totally smoke-free environment policy but please be assured that our Maintenance Manager and Housekeeper are always looking into improving the air quality of our public areas and in our guestrooms constantly.

Our Housekeeper has also been reminded to ensure the quality of the shower gel in the container and cleanliness of the room amenities.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience and discomfort encountered.

Thank you once again for writing as it is through these feedback that we can continuously strive to improve and ensure that our guests enjoy their stay with us.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family back again soon. Until then, my best wishes for a wonderful New Year.

kind regards,