“Fancier than expected!”
Review of Cititel Penang

Cititel Penang
Ranked #20 of 87 Hotels in George Town
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Arriving at Cititel was quite a surprise - it was so much fancier than I'd expected! The amount I'd paid for my stay, due to a fantastic discount on Agoda, made me think it would be a regular 3 or 4 star affair - or perhaps I was working on australian prices? In any case, the service was excellent - my old beaten backpack has never had a ride on a fancy hotel trolley before. The staff were very friendly and attentive. The room was clean and well appointed - free wi-fi, toiletries, room safe, iron and ironing board - and even a friendly gecko living in the bathroom. The breakfast buffet was amazing - Ive never seen such variety before. You could have everything from sushi, curry and Nasi Goreng to toast, congee, salad and fresh fruit. it's a shame they don't leave it on all day - I could have easily eaten dinner there too. There are a couple of restaurants in the foyer, along with a convenience store and a florist. They are quite expensive though, compared to the Indian place across the road (great curries for under AUD$4 a plate) - and the Hawker Market across the road. The 'Main Street Cafe' wasn't open for dinner the five nights I was there, but with so many eateries in the surrounding area, this was no loss. I was a bit sick during my stay, so decided to order room service one night. The meal was very good, served quickly and hot and the price was very fair (about AUD$10 for a curry and a fresh lime juice).
Cititel's location is good. Apart from the aforementioned eateries, there are also a number of convenience stores nearby. The free tourist bus stops across the road and Sam's Batiks is just down the street, for all your batik needs. A highlight of the trip was a cooking class at Nazlina's Spice Station, which is a short five minute walk down Muntri Road. There is an ATM around the corner, though one in the foyer would have been even more convenient.
If you like to explore a city by walking, Cititel is well located on the edge of the Hertitage listed town. Little India, the Museum and Art Gallery, Fort Cornwallis and a myriad of Chinese Temples and Clan house are all within walking distance. And, if your feet get tired, taxis are so cheap and plentiful it isn't hard to get home. It's also near the Upper Penang Street nightclub area. There is also a bus that goes to the Tropical Spice Garden and Batu Ferringhi in the next street.
The staff were very helpful and friendly - although the guy hanging around out the front offered an unavailable car and driver a few times. I had a 4am checkout to catch a flight and, even though I had forgotten to advise them, the staff gave me a breakfast pack and organised a taxi for me, on the spot at 4am.

Room Tip: I'd suggest asking for a room with a sea view - I spent some very memorable evening hours watchi...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Tina C
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2012

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for your kind and gracious comments of our staff and services – I am indeed very happy that you had a delightful time with us and that we have exceeded your expectations during your stay here. It is with much pride for me to share your comments with my team.

The Main Street Café is open for all day dining daily (ala carte orders), but serves buffet dinners over the weekend (Japanese themed buffet dinners from Fridays to Sundays). Am sure you would have loved our healthy menu selections from the ala carte menu.

I hope to welcome you back to Cititel Penang on your next visit to our island - please do not hesitate to contact me directly at if I may be of assistance in any way at all.

Until then, my best wishes for a wonderful New Year 2013!

Tony Goh

Write a ReviewReviews (1,085)

Reviewed December 23, 2012

Cititel Penang is at a very good and prime location. Just mins walk you will find many eateries, 7/11 shops and pubs/clubs around. From Hotel taxi - to Gurney drive is 10RM, to Kek Lok Si temple and Penang Hill is 25RM, to Reclining / Sleeping Buddha Temple is 10RM, to Komtar is 10RM. There is also a bus stop 5mins walk which drops you close to these tourist spots and is much cheaper. If you are travelling from Kuala Lumpur, you can take the bus from Puduraya Bus Station and get dropped off at Komtar (Penang) which is just 10 mins drive to the Hotel.

Rooms are very nice, neat, tidy with clean sheets, towels. Bed is cozy and comfortable. Needful amenities are provided. Room is although small and not very spacious. We didn't have any problems with our room.

Staff is friendly and helpful. We requested for an hour extra for checkout and got it.

Breakfast was very good. Good selection of different cuisines - Continental, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Malay etc.

We booked it at the last minute so ended up paying more but we were happy with our room and service provided.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Neha S

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for taking the time to share the review of our hotel and I trust that you had a wonderful stay in Penang.

Your positive comments of my team members and hotel facilities and location are greatly appreciated – thank you.

My team and I extend our warmest wishes for a Happy New Year and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights. Booked 3 rooms. Even though rooms were non smoking, they had a cig smoke smell. Not very big rooms, felt a bit cramped after staying in other more spacious hotels. The shampoo that was provided was in a wall pump by the shower & smelled gross. Doubt most ppl will even use it. The non skid bath mat was eww, had moldy type dark spots on it. Kept it on the floor when we showered.

Breakie had a nice selection, so no complaints there.

Overall it was in a nice central location in the heritage area of Penang.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Warmest Greetings from Cititel Penang!

Thank you for taking the time to write and your kind comments are most appreciated.

It is with regret that our hotel does not have a totally smoke-free environment policy but please be assured that our Maintenance Manager and Housekeeper are always looking into improving the air quality of our public areas and in our guestrooms constantly.

Our Housekeeper has also been reminded to ensure the quality of the shower gel in the container and cleanliness of the room amenities.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience and discomfort encountered.

Thank you once again for writing as it is through these feedback that we can continuously strive to improve and ensure that our guests enjoy their stay with us.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family back again soon. Until then, my best wishes for a wonderful New Year.

kind regards,

Reviewed December 19, 2012

If you looking for average and reasonable price range hotel, you should choose cititel hotel Penang, nice and clean, so with centre location in Georgetown. Central to Penang road area, which happening spot such as nightlife and food heaven. Nice place to stay

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo

Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang! It is indeed very heartening to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us at Cititel Penang.

Thank you for recommending our hotel and my team and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

With my best wishes for a great 2013 and beyond!

Kind regards

Reviewed December 19, 2012

Booked here as many smaller hotels were booked up. It's very convenient, my room was large, all mod cons, stunning view. But felt could be anywhere as basically a business hotel. Pricey and my rate did not include breakfast.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Penang. I am glad to note that you like our rooms and hotel location. Breakfast is an option for our guests and you may want to consider buying into our breakfast at a special rate the next time you book online with us.

My team members and I certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Cititel Penang soon and our sincere thanks once again for sharing your experience with us.

Until then, my best wishes for a great year ahead!

With kind regards,

Reviewed December 18, 2012

When we first stepped into the hotel, the lobby clearly reeked of very strong stale cigarette smoke. The smell did not just stay there but it was everywhere - in the lift, cafe & corridor. Worst of all, the stale cigarette smell was also strongly present in the hotel guest room which we were assigned to. We figured that it was pointless complaining about it as the smell was not just confined to the room. If it were, the problem could be easily solved by changing room but it was not.
The next morning, we found a cockroach on the floor of the room. On one of the mornings during the buffet breakfast at Main Street Cafe ( the venue for hotel breakfast), my wife noticed a baby cockroach running along one of the shelves containing supposedly clean plates for the diners. Some of the plates were also found to be rather dirty, with remnants of already eaten curry leaf left behind on the plates which were meant to be used by the guests! It was disgusting!
Yes, it may be strategically & conveniently located in Georgetown where u can easily get to places of interest, but we would not trade this for comfort of stay. Besides, it was written in Agoda that there was free WIFI access in the rooms, it was not true. The free WIFI is only available at the MainStreet Cafe located at the ground floor which makes it rather inconvenient.
Overall, we would not recommend u stay in this hotel if u are a non-smoker & are particular about cleanliness.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2013

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for taking the time to write and trust you had a safe trip home.

Please let me convey my sincere apologies for the inconveniences and the disappointment encountered during your recent stay with us.

Regretfully, our hotel does not have a totally smoke-free environment policy but we do have non-smoking rooms on non-smoking floors. We would have been most happy to offer you a room change if we had known about your discomfort during your stay. Our Maintenance Manager and Housekeeper are always looking into improving the air quality of our public areas constantly and with your feedback, we are stepping up on our endeavours towards this even more. Please accept my sincere apologies again for the inconvenience and discomfort encountered.

I am pleased to share that all our guests are accorded with complimentary WIFI access for two persons per guestroom, unless the reservations is booked through a travel agent, which in your case, it was. Perhaps, in future, may I recommend that you book directly with us through our Reservations Department or through our hotel website for the complimentary WIFI usage.

Thank you once again for writing as it is through your comments that we can continuously strive to improve and ensure that our guests enjoy their stay with us.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family back again soon and please do not hesitate to contact me at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be of further assistance.

Thank you, and my best wishes for the New Year ahead.

With kind regards,

Reviewed December 17, 2012

The wallpapers are all stained. The bed are full of shoe prints and blood prints and stains, The bathtub was leaking and the shampoo and soap was very diluted. The chair in it was so dusty. It look more like a 3 star than a 4 star to me.

1  Thank BenjaminHon

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.]

Thank you for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us and trust that you had a good trip home.

My sincere apologies for the lack of attention to details in your room – please be assured that this is not our usual standards of service that we maintain here at Cititel Penang and I have personally spoken to my Housekeeper to ensure that this does not recur.

I am truly sorry that we did not meet your expectations of a fulfilling stay at Cititel Penang and it would be appreciated if you kindly contact me at gm@cititelpenang.com when you and your family are planning another trip to Penang and allow us the opportunity to make amends.

Thank you for your understanding and I wish you and your family a great 2013 ahead.