“Excellence in Hospitality”

Ranked #20 of 84 Hotels in George Town
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Excellence in Hospitality”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I can't speak highly enough of this property, not just because it had the highest level of cleanliness I have ever experienced, but because of the staff courtesy, the pride in the hotel they serve showing in every transaction.
Check-in counter folk had a sense of humour, smiled with genuine warmth and wanted us to enjoy every experience as their guests. The room was spotless, and I mean Spotless, with every nook and cranny free of dust or grime. My benchmark is the door jambs on the inside of the bathroom. You will nearly always see traces of rot or accumulated gloop where they meet the floor tiles. Not so at the Cititel. Like new. Perfect marks to housekeeping.
Breakfast was simply superb, with the F&B Manager the first to ask if everything was OK and if we were to find anything to correct, to let him know immediately. We couldn't fault any aspect of the dining. The furniture and floor sparkled and the food selection as vast as any prince might demand. In short, it is now my Value and Quality standard setter but I think I'll be travelling for a long time before it is matched again, let alone surpassed.
Put this hotel on your Must Visit list. Not only will you will not be disappointed, you will be delighted.

Room Tip: The view out to sea is superb so go for a room on that side.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang and I trust that you had a good trip home.

Reading your review was indeed a great way to start the new month!

THANK YOU for giving us full marks on our hotel facilities and services! I am very glad to note that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us at Cititel Penang. It is most gratifying to know that we have exceeded our guests’ expectations and had provided you and your friends with a totally fulfilling stay here.

Thank you for recommending Cititel Penang and we look forward to welcoming you and your friends back soon.

Wishing you a great weekend ahead!

With kind regards
Tony Goh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We Stayed in 1110, it was a last minute upgrade decision that was proposed by the counter staff.Good thing that we did. The view we had was panoramic , picture perfect sea view, and partial view on the rustic old Georgetown.

Its walking distance to the famous chendol stall behind Kimberly St, and the Famous Line Clear Nasi Kandar Mamak is just around the corner (Beware, they rip customer off if you order in english, please, if you can order in malay.I got ripped off when the staff charged me RM23 for a plate of rice,one fried chicken and a tiger prawn.)

I've been to Penang many times but im glad that i've stayed in Cititel and definitely i'll be back for more.

Room Tip: Select Higher Floor , spend a lil bit more and upgrade to corner rooms, preferably one facing the se...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for taking the time to write and I am most happy to note that you were happy with the upgrade to our Corner room.

It is indeed a delight to know that you have enjoyed your stay - however, I regret to hear of your encounter at the ‘Line Clear Nasi Kandar Restaurant' but hope that it did not dampen the enjoyment of your overall visit to Penang.

My team members and I certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Cititel Penang on your next visit and our sincere thanks once again for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Brisbane Australia
Reviewed October 30, 2012

A large hotel , comfortable king sized bed. Our room had a great view of the Straits between Penang and the mainland. Well located with the Red Garden Food Garden nearby for cheap food. Free cat shuttle bus stop across the road along with other bus stops to other tourist spots eg Penang Hill 204 and Batu Ferringhi #101. Laundry one block away and short walk to esplanade. Hotel prices for laundry are per item expensive. Allowed us a late check our which was appreciated. Staff friendly and helpful. Doorman was very attentive and helpful

Room Tip: Ask for a room with water views
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marilyn50
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, November 1, 2012

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

It is indeed very heartening to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us at Cititel Penang.

We truly appreciate your kind comments about our hotel facilities and services - yes, many of our guests are pleasantly surprised at how convenient it is to move around from here for shopping, dining and even sight-seeing, and I'm glad you took the time to discover the various attractions in and around George Town during your stay.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Cititel Penang soon and thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Simply put, Cititel is a standard fuss-free, no-frills hotel. We chose it for its prime location in town that made it easy to explore its neighbourhood on foot, including the heritage quarters and the tiny nooks and laneways for food and local colour. We booked a standard room with amazing views of the sea. We always return for a stay here for their really comfy bed and pillows. Rooms are clean, carpet's new, but bathroom's a bit old (but still clean!). Don't expect fanciful anything other than that. Our bathroom comes with a standard 2-in1 body/shampoo pump which I don't particularly fancy, but I suppose it makes good business sense for a hotel to save up on amenities. But, you do get your complimentary toothbrush, shower cap, cotton buds and a handsoap. Staff are friendly. Despite the great food we could get outside, we dined one night (to avoid Penang's crazy traffic) at the Main Street Cafe and ordered a mix of local and Western food. To our surprise, they didn't fare too badly. This hotel makes a great base to explore the city if you want something convenient. I'd say it's similar to any Ibis and Novotel. You'll find no fault with it if this is what you're looking for.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank EmmaRamsay

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for taking the time to share the experience of your recent stay with us. We are delighted to note your positive comments on our hotel location, facilities, services and Main Street Café’s service and food standards. I had much pleasure in sharing your thoughts with my team members.

I am very happy to note that you have made Cititel Penang your base whenever you are in Penang and Thank You for your continuous support.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you and your friends back again soon.

Wishing you a pleasant weekend ahead.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

Very friendly reception, a Chinese girl and another Japanese? (sorry forgot their names). They makes me feel warm and welcomed.
I stayed in the refurbished superior room, nice and clean. Extensive toiletries which includes razor and toothbrush.
If you're driving there, you'll need to pay RM4 "deposit" when you first enter the car park. Get a parking pass from reception with the parking receipt which you can drive in/out with the pass. You can get back your RM4 deposit from the parking attendant if you pass him the pass after check out.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank UncleHooi
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang!

It is indeed very heartening to know that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us at Cititel Penang and THANK YOU for giving us full marks on our hotel facilities and services.

My team and I truly appreciate your taking the time to compliment our hotel facilities and services and it was with much pride that I conveyed your kind comments to Eriko (our Japanese Guest Service Officer) and the Front Desk Team.

Thank you once again for writing in and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

With kind regards
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We were upgraded to a deluxe room which had a great view over the water. We spent two nights here and found it a fantastic location from which to explore Penang, we were able to walk everywhere. We ate both nights at the night market across the road which provided delicious food. The pool was disappointing in comparison with the rest of the hotel. However the hotel staff were very helpful and efficient and we would recommend staying here if in Penang.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, October 17, 2012

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for taking the time to write and I hope that you had a pleasant journey home. I am most delighted to know that you had a great time in Penang and thank you for the kind compliments on our services during your stay.

Our hotel location is indeed, one of the best-selling points of our hotel and many of our guests share your opinion on how easy it is to move around from Cititel Penang, be it for sight-seeing, dining or shopping.

I am sorry to note that our pool was a bit of a damper; it actually is our indoor jacuzzi pool, hence is not very large in size. I am pleased to share that the front section leading to the pool will be converted into a total wellness centre by the year end and hope that you will take the opportunity to try it out the next time you stay with us.

Thank you for recommending our hotel and it is my fervent hope to have the privilege of welcoming you and your partner back to Cititel Penang again soon.

Darwin
Reviewed October 11, 2012

All the above. We upgraded to a deluxe room on arrival and were very happy with it. I think all we got extra was the view, but it was great. We didn't opt for the breakfast option but there was a cheap, tasty Indian restaurant right across the street and we ejoyed murtabek and sweet tea there every morning.

Location seems within walking distance to everything, which we did. We have nothing bad to say about the room at all, and the bed was huge and comfortable. I plan to return to Penang next year and will certainly stay at the Cititel again.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the higher rooms with the sea view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang!

I am thoroughly delighted to know that you have enjoyed your recent stay at Cititel Penang and thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

It is always gratifying to know that we have exceeded our guests' expectations during their stay with us and your appreciation is great motivation to all of us here. I also hope that you had a great time exploring our heritage city during your stay.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us next year and please do not hesitate to contact me directly at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be of assistance with your reservations.

Until then, my best wishes for a great week ahead.