“Cititel has the Best staff culture in Malaysia!”
Review of Cititel Penang

Cititel Penang
Ranked #20 of 84 Hotels in George Town
Singapore
“Cititel has the Best staff culture in Malaysia!”
Reviewed July 27, 2012

These are the people who made my 4-day stay a WOW & memorable experience. From the moment I stepped into Cititel, Eriko (despite being Japanese) Reception Manager spoke in fluent English warmly welcomed me with enthusiasm & courtesy. Zabidi & Gabriel are the best concierge staff who helped me with directions of where to dine good food & not-ripped off eateries & even went extra mile to print out the map & advised short-cut routes.

Every morning my breakfast was greeted with a hearty, genuine smiles from Evelyn & Mgr Amir Hisham with waitresses like Ermy, Sazlin & Indramah who served me with great pleasure & delight, not once a sour facial expression seen. Indramah even got me a specially brewed bean coffee which I deeply appreciated her gesture. I must say Amir took the initiative to even walked me to the gents instead of just give me a verbal direction. This is what I called 'awesome service!'

Breakfast spread was a treat with a broad spectrum of food displayed from Japanese, Korean, Western, Dim Sums to famous local hawker dishes like Nasi Lemak, Lor Mee & Hokkien Mee. Many local hotels that I hv stayed in don't serve delicious local delights. I'm spoilt with the choice of fresh-cut fruit which are sweet & chunky; watermelon, orange, apple, dragon fruit, star-fruit, honey dew & papaya. Not forgetting the good spread of various green veges for salad too. Meeting Exec Chef Lim Teng Kooi was an honour bcos he is so down-to-earth, humble, friendly, informative, highly skilled with his culinary expertise yet so generous to share tips on how to cook with his past track records of accolades & awards in International hotels.

I must add in a few good wrods for Cindy Khor, an ex-staff, who is manning The Mart & I bought many souvenirs such as displays, magnets, cook book. etc from her. Last but not least, a salute to Housekeeping staff Azhar who cleaned my room thoroughly with passion & detailed, kept my belongings carefully & replenished items.

Cititel has the best location on Penang Rd which is centrally strategic to many good restaurants of different ethnics, regardless of breakfast, lunch, dinner or supper. Furnishing is new, clean, functioning & aesthetically pleasant. View from the room is awesome. Perhaps, the only complaint I have is the outsourced Health Center reception who can improve in his way of communications. Parking is ample but 6pm onwards it's full. The other setback is the attitude of the Travel Agent, Eric who dont share the same culture as the Hotel staff. He's kindof aloof, arrogant, impolite & showed disrespect to guests. Guests in the Pinnacle had the luxury of resting in the Lounge & I like the cosy ambience & the choice of food & drinks served. Maybe, some fresh food like sandwiches, samosas or soups would enhance our appetite.

Since my purpose of staying here is to walk the street in search of food, I dont quite bother the small size of the swimming pool & the few machines in the gym. I'm glad there's a steam sauna & also a dry sauna.

Perhaps, one slight improvement I recommend the Reception Staff is to consciously inform guests about the 'special-day-promotion in the week' of the Japanese Restaurant. I missed them out because I was only informed on my final night which I missed out the excellent food.

The one thing that impresses me most about this hotel is the culture of the staff whereby everyone regardless of rank nor file, never fails to greet me with a genuine (not fake) smile and the initiative of 'May I help you?' This is the WOW factor. I reckon we have to learn alot from the Japanese people as that was my exact identical sentiments when I stayed in hotels in Tokyo, Hokkaido & many parts of Japan.

Kudos to all Cititel staff & to GM Tony Goh & HR Director Christy Yeo whom I had the priviledge to meet at breakfast.

Room Tip: Facing the sea is beautiful. Get higher floor as I was on the Pinnacle Floor, 1924. Try avoid lower...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
GM-CPG, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Dear Daniel

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

It was a pleasure meeting you too, and thank you very much for sharing the gracious comments of your recent stay here.

Nothing made me happier than to share your kind comments from the Guest Questionnaire, which you had handed in to my office, with my team members here. Thank you for taking the time to compliment our services and facilities during your stay and it is always a delight to know that we have exceeded our guests’ expectations.

All of us certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Cititel Penang again and please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I may be of further assistance.

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience with us and here’s wishing you a wonderful weekend ahead.

Tony

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Klang Bah Kut Teh
Reviewed July 15, 2012

This hotel location is perfect. I booked a superior room through Agoda website and didn't know that it was meant for 2 single beds. However upon checking in, the staff offer an upgrade to the king size bed with a minor cost and it was located on the 17th floor and the view is just awesome. Feels very satisfied with the breakfast and this is the first time that I have to queue for a place to sit in this buffet breakfast. Don't have to worry about the food as it is walking distance to nearby food stalls. Night life is just 100 metres away and you can hear the music blast from the nearby bistro and I was staying on the 17th floor. Check on the photos that I took and you will know that you have chosen one of the best hotel in Penang.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank calvin_alex
GM-CPG, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang! Thank you for your positive comments about your recent visit and it is indeed a delight to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

My team members and I certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Cititel Penang the next time you are in Penang and we wishyou a pleasant weekend ahead.

With kind regards,
Australia
Reviewed July 13, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights with our two children, and my parents. We found the hotel sub-standard by international standards, mostly on account of smokiness pretty much everywhere within the hotel.

We had a wait for check in, so we tried to find the lounge area... we were directed up a staircase to a horribly smokey mezzanine and lounge... the smoke stench was intolerable, overwhelming. Hard to describe, but we couldn't get our children away fast enough. We ended up spending a couple of hours in their restaurant, which is more of a large cafeteria/dining hall - not at all comfortable, but somewhere to sit.

The room was good - large enough for the 4 of us, and a great view. We used the pool... but getting to the pool through the health club required walking past a room with an open door and a bar and tables of men smoking - basically the hallway was filled with smoke, but this was the only corridor leading to the indoor pool area. It was a disgusting experience, but we did it daily, as the kids loved the pool.

The staff down in the pool area must not be trained as other hotel staff, who seemed quite professional. I went to use the ladies shower area/restroom, and as I entered, a staff member (male) with nothing but a towel wrapped around his waist, walked out, smoking, past me. He said it was okay, and gestured for me to enter, but it was really so unnerving (and the restroom was full of cigarette smoke) that I left and we all returned to our rooms.

The location is good, but we would never return to this hotel. It's not a place for non-smokers.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank JulesTwinMum
GM-CPG, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Dear Guest

Warmest Greetings from Cititel Penang!

Thank you for taking the time to write and your kind comments are most appreciated.

I am sorry to learn of your less than pleasant experience at the Health Centre, a leased outlet at the hotel. I would like to reassure you that I am looking into the matters you highlighted with the Health Centre owner with utmost priority to ensure such incidents do not recur.

It is with regret that our hotel does not have a totally smoke-free environment policy but am pleased to share that our Maintenance Manager and Housekeeper are always looking into improving the air quality of our public areas constantly. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience and discomfort encountered.

Thank you once again for writing as it is through these feedback that we can continuously strive to improve and ensure that our guests enjoy their stay with us.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family back again soon.

Until then, my best wishes.

Bangkok
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I love the hotel for its location and Asia & western breakfast. The hotel is in a walking distant to night life and street food. The room is clean but not impress me.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Noom-Noom
Dear Guest

Warmest Greetings from Penang!

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind comments on our location and facilities - am glad that you took the time to explore our city and my team and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

With kind regards,
sydney
Reviewed July 10, 2012

This hotel is an extremely friendly one albeit a bit tired and old. The rooms could do with a new carpet/paint job etc. The bathroom is old n cramp but clean,we found the housekeeping staff especially a lady by the name Ah Lean is very friendly n knowledgeble about Penang.The bed n pillows are very comfy. We requested a high floor room with a view and the one thing about the room was definitely the lovely view of the Penang harbour facing the E n O hotel on the 18 floor.We definitely needed a view as we were satying here for 5 nites.
We felt safe staying in this hotel and its right in the city of Penang and easy walking distance to most sightseeing places but even better still go hire a motorbike for approximately $30 ringgit a day!!!! Parking provided frreee by hotel.
All in all this is a very safe n comfortable hotel in the heart of Penang with every amenities at the doorstep. We will consider this hotel again highly when we return to Penang .

Room Tip: Choose a room on a high floor overlooking the E n O hotel !!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank zeeu
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post the experience of your stay at Cititel Penang and trust you had a good trip home.

I have proudly shared your kind comments wtih Ah Lean and thanked her for her dedication and hard work.

I regret that our Deluxe rooms which you had stayed in are not up to your expectations; they are our newly renovated rooms and I am sorry that the rooms did not come across as such.

Nevertheless, I am glad to know that you had an enjoyable stay with us on the whole. My team and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I stayed in both the Cititel and Traders in Dec last year - they both vie for a similar market, especially given their location in central Georgetown. Cititel wins hands down - the (Pinnacle) room was excellent, very clean, comfortable - staff at reception gave me a sea view room, good TV reception (not the case in Traders) - a great stay.

Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank sunsets1011
Dear Guest

Warmest Greetings from Cititel Penang!

It is indeed very heartening to know that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us at Cititel Penang and THANK YOU for giving us 'full marks' on our hotel facilities and services.

My team and I truly appreciate your taking the time to share your compliments and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Thank you once again and we wish you a great weekend ahead!

Brisbane
Reviewed July 3, 2012

The hotel is centrally located and is walking distance to many of the local attractions. The room was average size but was clean and well appointed. The beds are comfortable and a full size cot was provided free of charge for our little one. Customer service was good and check-out time is 12.00 so no need to rush to vacate the room on the last day. The breakfast buffet is excellent with Malay, Japanese and western food on offer. A plate of Nasi Lemak is a great way to start the day!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Steadford
, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Dear Guest

Warmest greetings from Cititel Penang! I am very pleased to know that you and your family have had an enjoyable stay with us

Yes, I do agree that Nasi Lemak is a great way to start the day – but nothing beats reading your kind and gracious comments on our services and hotel facilities to start mine!

Thank you for taking the time to share your views, which are truly appreciated - my team and I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Cititel Penang again soon!

Wishing you a great weekend ahead.