These are the people who made my 4-day stay a WOW & memorable experience. From the moment I stepped into Cititel, Eriko (despite being Japanese) Reception Manager spoke in fluent English warmly welcomed me with enthusiasm & courtesy. Zabidi & Gabriel are the best concierge staff who helped me with directions of where to dine good food & not-ripped off eateries & even went extra mile to print out the map & advised short-cut routes.
Every morning my breakfast was greeted with a hearty, genuine smiles from Evelyn & Mgr Amir Hisham with waitresses like Ermy, Sazlin & Indramah who served me with great pleasure & delight, not once a sour facial expression seen. Indramah even got me a specially brewed bean coffee which I deeply appreciated her gesture. I must say Amir took the initiative to even walked me to the gents instead of just give me a verbal direction. This is what I called 'awesome service!'
Breakfast spread was a treat with a broad spectrum of food displayed from Japanese, Korean, Western, Dim Sums to famous local hawker dishes like Nasi Lemak, Lor Mee & Hokkien Mee. Many local hotels that I hv stayed in don't serve delicious local delights. I'm spoilt with the choice of fresh-cut fruit which are sweet & chunky; watermelon, orange, apple, dragon fruit, star-fruit, honey dew & papaya. Not forgetting the good spread of various green veges for salad too. Meeting Exec Chef Lim Teng Kooi was an honour bcos he is so down-to-earth, humble, friendly, informative, highly skilled with his culinary expertise yet so generous to share tips on how to cook with his past track records of accolades & awards in International hotels.
I must add in a few good wrods for Cindy Khor, an ex-staff, who is manning The Mart & I bought many souvenirs such as displays, magnets, cook book. etc from her. Last but not least, a salute to Housekeeping staff Azhar who cleaned my room thoroughly with passion & detailed, kept my belongings carefully & replenished items.
Cititel has the best location on Penang Rd which is centrally strategic to many good restaurants of different ethnics, regardless of breakfast, lunch, dinner or supper. Furnishing is new, clean, functioning & aesthetically pleasant. View from the room is awesome. Perhaps, the only complaint I have is the outsourced Health Center reception who can improve in his way of communications. Parking is ample but 6pm onwards it's full. The other setback is the attitude of the Travel Agent, Eric who dont share the same culture as the Hotel staff. He's kindof aloof, arrogant, impolite & showed disrespect to guests. Guests in the Pinnacle had the luxury of resting in the Lounge & I like the cosy ambience & the choice of food & drinks served. Maybe, some fresh food like sandwiches, samosas or soups would enhance our appetite.
Since my purpose of staying here is to walk the street in search of food, I dont quite bother the small size of the swimming pool & the few machines in the gym. I'm glad there's a steam sauna & also a dry sauna.
Perhaps, one slight improvement I recommend the Reception Staff is to consciously inform guests about the 'special-day-promotion in the week' of the Japanese Restaurant. I missed them out because I was only informed on my final night which I missed out the excellent food.
The one thing that impresses me most about this hotel is the culture of the staff whereby everyone regardless of rank nor file, never fails to greet me with a genuine (not fake) smile and the initiative of 'May I help you?' This is the WOW factor. I reckon we have to learn alot from the Japanese people as that was my exact identical sentiments when I stayed in hotels in Tokyo, Hokkaido & many parts of Japan.
Kudos to all Cititel staff & to GM Tony Goh & HR Director Christy Yeo whom I had the priviledge to meet at breakfast.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Along bustling Upper Penang Road, in the heart of George Town. Easy access to commercial and government offices, 30 minutes by car from Penang International Airport, 5 minutes drive to Penang Ferry terminal, 5-10 minutes walk to nearby tourist attractions such as street arts and UNESCO heritage trails, 15-minutes walk to Chowrasta market and Mydin Hypermarket, 20-minutes walk to Komtar/Prangin Mall/1st Avenue Mall, 20-minutes walk to Esplanade/Beach Street and the Red Garden Hawker Centre is located just opposite the hotel. 451 comfortably furnished rooms inclusive of executive rooms, broadband internet, LCD TV, long bath, bidet, electronic safe in selected categories, coffee/tea making facilities, mini fridge, satellite TV and in-house movies. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Priceline, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Cititel Penang reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cititel Penang Georgetown
- Cititel Penang Hotel Georgetown
- Cititel Penang George Town