Berjaya Penang Hotel
Seven Terraces(George Town)
$141
$130
G Hotel Gurney(George Town)
$141
$151
$144
$70
$43
G Hotel Kelawai(George Town)
$128
$107
Agoda.com
$95
$90
Priceline
Chulia Mansion(George Town)(Great Value!)
$44
$38
Agoda.com
All reviewsgurney drivegeorgetown citywalking distancehotel roomstaying at this hotelf bbus stophigh flooreasy accessshopping mallkalapahpatientspenangparagonproximityconvenience
Reviewed December 31, 2012

The check in was handle by some junior staff which cause more waiting time. Lift was small to fit in few ppl with luggage at one time.

The toilet bowl keep drain out water when we step in the room and calling the maintainance office which the problem still persist ask a few flush.

The view wasn't any great but was on business trip, the morning breakfast seem not able to replenish in time, those fork and spoon wasn't ready. Even if the food selection was good but didn't replenish as quickly as it would always b with so much of travelers pack and seated and wait for the different choices of food serve.

Old and tire and nothing on contemporary that u could expect, but nearby food stalk would b good choices for someone who enjoy different food with smaller portion and less MSG.

Two 24 hours convenient store around the hotel entrance that u wont miss. The shopping mall is tire with less tenant occupy.

A old phase laundry shop can b seen located 7 min away from the hotel with minimal charge than hotel

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Prior to check-in, the grade for this hotel was so great and hold a high expectation. However upon check-in yesterday, it was a total disappointment

Upon arrival, with elderly and children around, the only guard standing at the arrival hall didn't even offer assistance to assist on the luggage. When reached FO desk, there is no queue but 2 own staff standing at the counter discuss on the last working day and questioning about a punch card of a staff, seem fails to locate it. Apart on that, discussing on a person whom will be late because stuck in traffic jam. FO is always the image and eye of a hotel, thus is this acceptable ?

Upon provide the room key which attached the welcome drink voucher, but the FO agent didn't even spell a word on this matter plus the details on check-out time not mentioning to reconfirm the bookings details

A last, managed to get the rooms (total 3rooms), which being informed at towel will not be available until 6pm. But upon room-in, the basic bathroom amenities was not in-placed. It is the standard of not providing the toothbrush, shower gel and shampoo ? Why need to ask to deliver ? My room corridor light is not even functioning but seem like the staff whom inspect the room not even realize it. It this part of the housekeeping checklist only to ensure the room cleanness and may omitted other details ?

As this hotel locate at a strategic location which must be very popular among the tourist. But is it mean you may discount on the service level ? I m not asking for wow service level, but at least provide the least expectation of a hotel service by showing the professionalism especially in FO

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
C-Xin, General Manager at Berjaya Penang Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2012

Firstly we thank reviewer Joanneylc for staying at our hotel and especially for the feedback. While we were disappointed with the ratings given, it nevertheless is useful for us to see ourselves from the guest's point of view after receiving many good comments before that.

Thus we would like to convey our regrets to Reviewer if the service she & her family received were below expectations. We have always trained and encourage our staff to multi-task (and so a Security guard should also assist to carry luggage) and to project a professional image (discouraged from irrelevant chatter in front of guests).

As for toiletries in the bathroom, the dispenser for shower gel/shampoo is available. As part of our Loving Earth program, miniature bottles are only available upon request - this is is clearly advised to the guests in the form of notices/stickers in the rooms. We ask for Reviewer's understanding on this.

We will continue to remind and train our staff on the points mentioned by Reviewer. At the same time we also hope that Joanneylc and other Guests will assist & join us in the Loving Earth program.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. Was able to obtain particularly good rate for a "super single" room by booking more than 30 days in advance. The hotel is not obviously in the best location being a good 5 km out from centre of town, but since travelling on own it was advantageous for using local buses to get around. There are stops for 101 and 102 buses directly outside. The 102 is particularly useful if arriving by long distance bus at Sungai Nibong, for it stops there and almost directly outside front door of hotel. Costs 2.70 ringgits by bus, whereas taxi drivers will seek 60. Only major attraction situated within easy walking distance is Botanic Gardens which at 2 km distance takes 15 mins to reach. 101 is good for reaching Ferrenghi and National Park.
Now regards hotel itself, it is of obvious good standard and warrants its 4* rating . It is clean, everything is functional including the lifts with no long waits. The reception area is large and whilst I was staying, there was a welcoming Christmas display at entrance, which was most appropriate. Check in was good on reception with sufficient staff to handle peaks. All very polite. Staff smartly dressed and appeared efficient. Good teamwork between them.
My room booked as a super single was really a double for which charged a single occupancy tariff. It was large ,clean and comfortable and it gave me immediate good vibes. Everything was there including usual toiletries and hot drinks sachets, etc. Bathroom and toilet also fine. Yes, there were the odd things not perfect such as some emulsion peeling off and a bit of grubby grouting, but overall the room was just perfect for my needs. I was very satisfied with its comforts. All the bed linen was spotless and towel in bathroom good - but only got the one. Room lighting was effective as was the air conditioning and beginning to think should have booked more nights. I was also up on 17th floor with good views from window.
However,I was not prepared for what was about to follow. Had long trip that day and a Friday night, so decided to get to bed early after enjoying a long soak in the bath. Now, I am not a light sleeper and can drop off to sleep standing up but some time around midnight I'm awoken by a continuous thud, thud, thud non-stop. Soon realised it was from a disco, yes 17 floors down in adjoining building. Now if it had been music there would not have been a problem, but this was utter torture to my ears and head, like the constant noise from a jack hammer coming all the way up the side of building. With no let up by 2.00 pm and no sleep, had to go down to reception to resolve. Understood it would soon stop and I didn't want hassle of moving room anyway, so returned to endure . Yet by 3.30pm, still no relief and thud, thud, thud didn't take a break so back down to reception again. Disco outside control of hotel and staff member came up to my room to listen, Then noise stopped for 15 minutes before continuing until 6.30pm Promised room on other side of building, but needed to wait until 10.00am. Next day, I was a zombie without sleep. Couldn't think all day with the thud thudding still ringing in my ears. Anyway, I left changing room until following evening when thud, thud started up again. Now this is where a well managed hotel becomes obvious, because no sooner had my mouth got into gear and I was informed I would be assisted immediately to the top floor of building away from noise. So at 11.00 pm I moved room and my nights were bliss from then on. Bonus was that in being moved to top floor I was given a suite, albeit had no need for such a vaste amount of space. If this had been my allocated room would have got 6*s.
Restaurant area was also clean and well presented, albeit shortage of tables suitable for for just one or two people. Breakfast included in rate, and this is my main meal of day, so tried everything. I like to be greedy of a morning and was able to do so. Good choice to suit all and drinks all fine also. Didn't have dinner in hotel and fear prices likely high, but enjoyed supper each night inside shopping complex next door to hotel. Only a choice of Chinese food but suited me fine. There is also a good cake shop just inside the entrance. Excellent muffins.
So overall would I recommend this hotel ?. Yes, certainly as comfort for price ratio very good and experienced obviously excellent service. It is of 4* standard and I could not really fault it at price paid. However, ensure the rate includes breakfast and if staying between a Friday and Sunday night that a room to the left of hotel is specified. This would be a condition of my stay.
Of course, if young it may be that your brain has become accustomed to a continuous thudding

Room Tip: Ensure room away from disco if staying on Friday to Sunday nights. High floors better.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank peter e

We are left with not much to add following such a long & detailed review by PeterEdwards, especially since it is mostly positive. We can only say thank you to Reviewer who despite the one factor which may affect his stay, decides to take the positive view following our response to overcome the shortcoming.

We are grateful that Reviewer appreciates our action as such. And we would like to stress this point that while we are far from perfect, nevertheless we will always try our best to improve the situation for our guests.

We look forward to having Reviewer back in future and await the 6stars rating he mentioned.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

I went with 34 of my students,stayed for three days and two nights. Strategic location, walking distance to Gurney Plaza. The size of the room is fair and well-equipped(hair-dryer,fridge,kettle,etc). Each bed comes with a pillow and a bolster which I really fond of. The bathroom is clean though the tub is a little old. The breakfast offered is served buffet style. Fair range of food with good quality(students kept saying that their mash potato was marvelous). Friendly and polite receptionists, they provided clear directions when being asked. One of my students lost the access key of her room, they were nice enough not to charge her. Though this hotel is rather old and clearly needs to be repainted or refurnished, the service offered is way beyond my expectation.

Room Tip: Choose rooms from 15 floors and above to get a better view of the sea.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 20, 2012

The location of this hotel is strategic, near to Gurney Plaza, Gurney Drive, Gurney Paragon & other food courts & hawker centres in Pulau Tikus. The front line staffs at the reception counter provided fast services upon check in/out. The size of the room is sufficient for me, and totally worth the price. Flat screen LCD, modern design, great view, and the toilet is clean. As a heavy traveler, this is my first time to see bolster provided in this hotel.

However, on the my last day of my stay, i gone back to the hotel almost midnight. I went to the reception counter asking a staff to book a cab for me the next morning at 5.30am. I was surprised to be told that the staff in charge at the help desk counter has gone back. She said I should have booked earlier. She never even offer to help me to book any cab (which normally staffs at reception counter do that), and just ask me to come down at 5.30am to wait at the outside of the hotel. As it was too risky to do that, so I ask her to give me the cab company's number and I called myself. This is my first time as well booking cab to the airport by myself.

This is the only defect I would say otherwise it is satisfactory and i would rate it as excellent.

Room Tip: Get a higher floors and sea view
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank RobinTan
C-Xin, General Manager at Berjaya Penang Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2012

The title says it for us - Modern, Comfy & Good Price. And so we would like to thank Reviewer Robin Tan who stayed with us, enjoyed his stay and kindly made the effort to give his comments on Trip Advisor.
We are glad he found our location stategic, check in/out service fast, room with great view & clean. Furthermore we are pleased that he appreciated the bolster - just another touch to differentiate our hotel from others.
On the other hand, we regret to note that Reviewer was not accorded the service he should have been to book the transport to airport. We will look into this and ensure such incidents do not repeat.
Thus we look forward to having Mr Robin Tan back again.