“Cant go wrong for the price, great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Pin Seng Hotel

Pin Seng Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in George Town
Pin Seng Hotel
Ranked #102 of 169 George Town B&B and Inns
Siem Reap, Cambodia
“Cant go wrong for the price, great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

Walked straight in off the bus and found what we were looking for a nice cheap room in a great location. 25RM per night, shared bathroom, no problems. Wifi in and around the reception area only but this wasnt a problem for us as there was so much to see and do in Penang anayway.

Cheap drinks on site, staff were helpful enough and one of the older guys who also works at the reggae bar (almost opposite) was very friendly to us. We would stay there again if we went back to penang and recommend this place to others.

Room Tip: Rooms further away from reception dont have wifi coverage. There are en-suite rooms but they cost a...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Pushkar
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Pin Seng Hotel is a traditional guesthouse in George Town, offering very good value for money. I had a nice first floor room with quaint old furniture and a bucket shower (very basic but functional). The room was definitely better than some of the darker rooms on the ground floor corridor. It is Chinese-owned and very authentic - many local guests were also staying. Pin Seng has not yet been affected by the 'trendifying' that is taking place in other guesthouses in this area - I hope it remains that way!

Room Tip: with a window!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Vienna, Austria
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

There it is, Pin Seng on Tripadvisor now. Great. Well Pin Seng Hotel was the worst experience I ever had during many years of travel.
In 2008 I stayed in one of the rooms on the first floor. I came back from a motorbike trip around Penang and made one mistake: I had my Canon 40D DSLR camera hanging around my neck when I went to my room (usually I hide my gear, on that day I forgot). I went for dinner around 6 o clock and came back half an hour later. There were about 6 locals sitting in the lobby chatting.
I went upstairs and found the lock of my room's door smashed. Canon Pro DSLR gone, lenses gone, laptop gone, harddrive +1000s of pictures gone, passport gone, mp3 player gone. Stuff worth 2500 Eur gone! I must have interruped the thieves because 1 expensive Tamron lens was still on my bed.
The people downstairs suggested me to go to the police (they did not want to call them, they wanted me to go there, ask yourself why) but they were not helpful at all. They all pretended to have heard and seen nothing even though my room was so close to the lobby ! To smash a lock makes a loud noise ! Well I refused to leave the property because I was sure my stuff was still there. Police came, crime investigation unit came and questioned other people there and other guests had to open their bags but stuff was not found.

The staff tried to blame another guest from France (a phantom I guess) who had apparently left when I was for dinner and of course one of my lens bags was found on the bed in his room. It looked so made up to me, why would the thief leave one of my lens bags on his bed ?
I spent the night at the crime investigation unit and they told me already that it was unlikely I would ever get my stuff back. They said they had recoreded other thefts at his hotel already.

The day after, I still had my rent motorbike, I went to Pin Seng Hotel again. I parked my motorbike in front of the hotel and went inside to question other guests about the incident. I did not want to accept the huge loss. I was not welcome at all and I got no help from hotel staff and not even an apologize for the incident.

After I had spoken to a few people I got on my motorbike and left. On the road I suddenly realized, that my brakes did not work ! I was lucky I realized this before I came to an intersection. I managed to stop and guess what: Someone had cut both the brake wires of my motorbike! I had to pay for the repair but that was a minor thing - I could as well be dead.

I had to get an emergency passport and flew home the week after.
Worst experience ever.

I do not know what really happened in detail but some other people do know.

If you want to spend your money there, it is totally up to you.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
9 Thank 587RobertM587

Travelers are raving about these George Town hotels

Modena, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

Basic accomodation, best we could find around the area for that price - we paid RM 35 for a big room with 2 double beds, and were in three people.
The guy at the reception (shirtless one) is really funnynand friendly too!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Barcelona, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

This hostal is the best option for low budgets. The rooms are quite big and really clean. The bathroom is outside but always clean. It has a little common area with tables so you can eat there or just chill. The wifi is really good. It is in Love Lane. Really easy to find.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
penang
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

i have stayed a PIN SENG hotel twice now and it will be my choice when i go back to penang which i often do. the first time i stayed i only had one complaint and it was that there was no electric socket in the room, but that has now been changed so using my laptop with their FREE WIFI was very convenient in my room. the room is basic but has a large bed, wardrobe and dressing table, table and even a sink. with a large ceiling fan it was plenty cool enough. the bathrooms are a short walk and always clean. the one thing to improve with budget hotel would be hot showers but as it is so warm/hot in penang it isnt really missed. there are some colorful characters and a curfew but the night manager will always wake to let you back in after hours.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Lesley I
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2009

So - right, lonely planet is pretty spot on i.e. you will find shirtless locals hanging around the entrance, and yes the walls dont quite reach the floor/ the area is slightly dodgy/ the shower cupboard is interesting/ the toilets are out back - but really considering we paid 25RM for a room between 4 people per night and booked at the last minute, can you expect much more? There was a bed and we slept in it. I wouldn't go here if you were wanting to lounge around your hotel all day, but if you need a room to lock up your stuff and literally just sleep, then it does the trick.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends