“Bad - have to change 3 rooms in just 5 hours”

The Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences Penang
Ranked #69 of 84 Hotels in George Town
Penang Island, Malaysia
“Bad - have to change 3 rooms in just 5 hours”
Reviewed April 14, 2014

I'm not the first time to stay in this hotel. But today I very disappointed to the reception & room services. First room I check in 1201, the facilities in the bath room are not completed, no towel, Jacuzzi is dirty. The pillow, the bed very old & the bed sheet is very dirty. Very uncomfortable & not worth for the price. It just like pay a high price but stay in a low range. After my complain change me to room 1704. Their is no hot water, air conditional is not functioning. Once I call to the reception, the Indian girl receptionist pick up the phone call, not even I finished my conversation with her, she straight put me to maintenance department, not even said please hold or etc. Bad attitude customer service from reception, continuously after I managed to talk to the maintenance department for the poor air conditional it took from 9.30pm to 10.45pm to come over for the checking for the air-cond. They can't do anything for the air conditional, then changed me again to the room 2306 this is the last room finally. And I get tired too, just have a sleep then

Room Tip: The higher room much better
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
GurneyHotel, General Manager at The Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences Penang, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the comment and please accept our sincere apology that we did not meet your expectation. We will follow up to inform the Front Office Manager on the receptionist concerned. For your info we are now upgrading the room on stage by stage basis whereby changing of air conditioning unit is part of the project. Once again we apologized and hope you will allow us to serve you better in future.

The Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Recently, we checked into Room 2105 about an hour just before midnight on Friday 11-April 2014. Upon, getting into the room, we discovered that the room is infested with cockcraoches. They are everywhere from the coffee making table to the study table, the bed, the carpet. We were all upset. My kids were horrified.
I called the reception immediately from the room phone and was told that they will send someone over to change us to another room. We waited for almost half an hour but no one came.
So we went down and told the front desk. We were given another room no. 2104 (neighbour to the cockcroach infested room). There were no proper apology make by the staff. Then I demand to see the manager and the manager was kind enough to offer to personally select a room for us. However, it was too late, damages were done, everyone was upset as it was almost midnight.
Therefore, we left and demanded a full refund.
I cannot rate this hotel unless Tripadvisor has negative star rating ..... this hotel is now called the COCKCROACH HOTEL by my kids.

Room Tip: definitely not room 2105... well cockcraoches moves everywhere left - right - up and down. From room...
Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank PatrickLim1974
Dear Valued Guest,

Please accept our sincerely apology for the displeasure and inconvenience caused to your goodself where pest was found in your rooms during your recent stay with us. We have instructed pest control agent to provide a thorough checking and fumigation in the hotel. We hope that you will allow us to improve and serve you better in future.

Travelers are raving about these George Town hotels

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 13, 2014

I had heard horrid things about this hotel and I think that made a huge difference. My expectations were low. So when the Hotel managers, Linda and Sunny, personally attended to me, I was more than impressed. Then when I got to the room, I was truly Wowed! The room was large and spacious. Perfect for my mother and I but more than enough space for a family of 4, 5 or 6. There's a fridge, microwave oven and even a washing machine. I didn't use any of those and I agree that the decor was stuck in time. But the amount of money I paid was just so low, that I really have no problem with the dated decor. I would definitely go back if I could get the very same room. I am that impressed. The breakfast was fine and there's plenty to eat. Have your eggs however style you want and they will make it on the spot for you. Every day is the same but it doesn't fazed me. I wasn't staying long any way. But that would be the only nitpick I have with the hotel: lack of variety. But other than that, everything was lovely.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a high floor and have low expectations. My room was also one of the two corner room...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
GurneyHotel, General Manager at The Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences Penang, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the feedback. We are pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and the service rendered has met your expectation. Once again, thank you and we look forward to welcome you back on your future visit.

Mullaloo, Australia
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

Booked a two room apartment for my family. Was promised a recently renovated room which was okay except it stank of cigarette smoke. To the point of giving us all headaches. Changed to another room which was old, tired amd dirty. Fridge also did not work. Will not be staying here again.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the recent stay with us and your comment.
We apology for the smoking room smell and I had spoken to my housekeeping manager to do thorough spring cleaning for the the rooms. For your info we had done some room refurbishment and yet to complete all. We are continuing to upgrade and refurbish. Once again we are sorry and looking forward on your future stay with us.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 6, 2014

My relatives stayed in Rm 1305-big room but infested by cockroaches and insect- eating curtains-holes in them.Complained about them ,nothing is done,is the hotel going to be responsible for the clothing being destroyed by them or worst still,- disease, it is acceptable to have a cockroache but not infestation, get your act right , treat it with an insect spray,turn off air cond and, leave room for 2 hours-walah all under controlled. Isn't head office checking how the manger runs this hotel-swiss garden has a repitation to hold.Hope the manager sees this review and do something about it.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Leng G
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments. We are distressed to hear that you were subjected to such displeasure during your stay with us. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience
caused. We have instructed our pest control agent to provide a thorough checking in our hotel. We hope that you will allow us to improve and serve you better in future.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

Hotel was very old fashion even that I see all the bad review bfore, I still book it. Thought was stay there is the nearest place to town. However really can't imagine that this hotel was terrible. Elevator is too old, inside the room was very very smelly, carpet is very dirty and old, phone was spoilt. Check in and out still wait a long time, front desk of the staff they no greeting and no smiling, I'm in this hotel industry, I also can't accept this kind of the service.

Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Chin1008
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comment and appreciated it. We will follow up to inform the manager on the front desk staffs concerned. Besides, the hotel had been operated since year 2000 and we are in current process to refurbish and upgrade the guest room.
We are looking forward to welcome you for your future stay with us.

Klang, Malaysia
Reviewed March 27, 2014

My family and I have been travelling to Penang yearly for holiday or sometimes even more than 2 times a year. Gurney Resort Hotel is always been our priority list in our hotel selection and no complaint till this recent March 2014. I hv booked for 3 nights and the kids just can't wait to go to the pool. I've discovered that the water is not cleared as it supposed to be and asked the hotel staff, they explained that there is some problem with the contractor or some parts/pump which need fix by tom. I would not risk my children health to let them in the water which I do know if there the water contamination. So they end up playing with sand.
Secondly the room, there is no table, lamp, no kettle, no safety box. My husband called housekeeping to request for those items. I can't imaging that we have to request for those basic things that are supposed to be in the room at the first place. Even the towel, they just put only 1 towel. The worst thing is the aircond, even there are 2 airconds in the room, 1 is faulty and the one working but in the middle of the night, the noise from the aircond really disturbing our sleep and in the morning, a few frozen cube of ice drop out from the aircond!! This is really beyond my tolerance limit. We checked out immediately after 1 night of disaster experiences with Gurney.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank jenL77
GurneyHotel, General Manager at The Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences Penang, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

We would like to apologize for the displeasure experience during your recent stay with us. Your comments have been deliberately shared with the department heads and they will come out with necessary remedy action to overcome the shortcomings to further improve on the services and facilities we are offering. We hope to see you again in near future.