“Value for money with a View to Kill”

The Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences
Ranked #66 of 84 Hotels in George Town
Singapore, Singapore
“Value for money with a View to Kill”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

I had heard horrid things about this hotel and I think that made a huge difference. My expectations were low. So when the Hotel managers, Linda and Sunny, personally attended to me, I was more than impressed. Then when I got to the room, I was truly Wowed! The room was large and spacious. Perfect for my mother and I but more than enough space for a family of 4, 5 or 6. There's a fridge, microwave oven and even a washing machine. I didn't use any of those and I agree that the decor was stuck in time. But the amount of money I paid was just so low, that I really have no problem with the dated decor. I would definitely go back if I could get the very same room. I am that impressed. The breakfast was fine and there's plenty to eat. Have your eggs however style you want and they will make it on the spot for you. Every day is the same but it doesn't fazed me. I wasn't staying long any way. But that would be the only nitpick I have with the hotel: lack of variety. But other than that, everything was lovely.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a high floor and have low expectations. My room was also one of the two corner room...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
GurneyHotel, General Manager at The Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the feedback. We are pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and the service rendered has met your expectation. Once again, thank you and we look forward to welcome you back on your future visit.

The Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Mullaloo, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

Booked a two room apartment for my family. Was promised a recently renovated room which was okay except it stank of cigarette smoke. To the point of giving us all headaches. Changed to another room which was old, tired amd dirty. Fridge also did not work. Will not be staying here again.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the recent stay with us and your comment.
We apology for the smoking room smell and I had spoken to my housekeeping manager to do thorough spring cleaning for the the rooms. For your info we had done some room refurbishment and yet to complete all. We are continuing to upgrade and refurbish. Once again we are sorry and looking forward on your future stay with us.

Travelers are raving about these George Town hotels

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014

My relatives stayed in Rm 1305-big room but infested by cockroaches and insect- eating curtains-holes in them.Complained about them ,nothing is done,is the hotel going to be responsible for the clothing being destroyed by them or worst still,- disease, it is acceptable to have a cockroache but not infestation, get your act right , treat it with an insect spray,turn off air cond and, leave room for 2 hours-walah all under controlled. Isn't head office checking how the manger runs this hotel-swiss garden has a repitation to hold.Hope the manager sees this review and do something about it.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Leng G
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments. We are distressed to hear that you were subjected to such displeasure during your stay with us. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience
caused. We have instructed our pest control agent to provide a thorough checking in our hotel. We hope that you will allow us to improve and serve you better in future.

Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

Hotel was very old fashion even that I see all the bad review bfore, I still book it. Thought was stay there is the nearest place to town. However really can't imagine that this hotel was terrible. Elevator is too old, inside the room was very very smelly, carpet is very dirty and old, phone was spoilt. Check in and out still wait a long time, front desk of the staff they no greeting and no smiling, I'm in this hotel industry, I also can't accept this kind of the service.

Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Chin1008
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comment and appreciated it. We will follow up to inform the manager on the front desk staffs concerned. Besides, the hotel had been operated since year 2000 and we are in current process to refurbish and upgrade the guest room.
We are looking forward to welcome you for your future stay with us.

Klang, Malaysia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

My family and I have been travelling to Penang yearly for holiday or sometimes even more than 2 times a year. Gurney Resort Hotel is always been our priority list in our hotel selection and no complaint till this recent March 2014. I hv booked for 3 nights and the kids just can't wait to go to the pool. I've discovered that the water is not cleared as it supposed to be and asked the hotel staff, they explained that there is some problem with the contractor or some parts/pump which need fix by tom. I would not risk my children health to let them in the water which I do know if there the water contamination. So they end up playing with sand.
Secondly the room, there is no table, lamp, no kettle, no safety box. My husband called housekeeping to request for those items. I can't imaging that we have to request for those basic things that are supposed to be in the room at the first place. Even the towel, they just put only 1 towel. The worst thing is the aircond, even there are 2 airconds in the room, 1 is faulty and the one working but in the middle of the night, the noise from the aircond really disturbing our sleep and in the morning, a few frozen cube of ice drop out from the aircond!! This is really beyond my tolerance limit. We checked out immediately after 1 night of disaster experiences with Gurney.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank jenL77
GurneyHotel, General Manager at The Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

We would like to apologize for the displeasure experience during your recent stay with us. Your comments have been deliberately shared with the department heads and they will come out with necessary remedy action to overcome the shortcomings to further improve on the services and facilities we are offering. We hope to see you again in near future.

Jakarta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

I just arrived here and its better than expected !My room have much space for relax , dine and work table also it has big bathroom with bathub ... Old furniture but ist doesn't matter .
The reception was only have one person in charge .. quite slow checked in ... Lobby feels hot its like no Aircond turned on
Well its wifi free in room ... One username valid For 5devices ;)
Located a bit far from gurney plaza , maybe need to walk around 20mins . If you travelling with children this hotel can be your favorite :)

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay with us. We appreciated your comments and noted the short- comings. We are looking forward to welcome you for your future stay with us.

New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

My cousin booked us (her 3 children, and me) a 3-night stay at the Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences from February 22-24, 2014. Our stay was completed, but i complained on hotels.com even before the stay was over. i could not wait until the end of our stay to express my deepest dissatisfaction with my experience with Room 1605 at this hotel. The first night, and all subsequent nights, we did not have hot water. The first night, after multiple calls to housekeeping and the concierge, we finally had hot water, but even that dwindled down to lukewarm before the end of the night. This was merely after an hour of intermittent use. The second night, we returned to our room at 7pm, to check to see if we had hot water before heading out. If we did not have hot water, we planned to call housekeeping to address the matter early. Of course, we had NO hot water again, and it took staff 1/2 hour before they eventually arrived in our room to address the ongoing issue. After we returned at 10pm, we hoped the situation had been resolved. However, there was still no hot water. The staff declared the situation addressed and fixed. We checked the water, found it WAS hot, but after about one minute of its use, it became icy cold again. We had to endure cold water showers again. I wearily called to complain about this yet again at 11pm, and was offered room 1601 to shower. Unfortunately, this was not helpful either, as the water in room 1601 was lukewarm. The morning before we left, I spoke with 3 different managers, to be told that Floor 16 was having issues with hot water. We were offered another room, but with less than 24 hours remaining before we are to leave, we decided to forgo this inconvenient option, as that would mean packing and unpacking. We requested an alternate room for a hot shower, which we were finally given (Room 1606), and a measly 15% refund of our fee. I want a FULL refund!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank dris209
GurneyHotel, General Manager at The Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay with us. Your comments have been deliberately shared with the department heads and they will come out with necessary remedy action to overcome the shortcomings to further improve on the services and facilities we are offering. We hope to see you again in near future.