“Great location but average stay”

The Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences Penang
Ranked #69 of 84 Hotels in George Town
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Great location but average stay”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Let's start with the pros. The hotel is located on Gurney Drive, where you are just within walking distance to a number of big shopping malls and various hawker stalls. You can also walk along the sea on the pedestrian walkway, which is a very pleasant walk in the mornings and evenings. We got a room on the higher floors and facing the sea, which provided great views.

However during our stay, one of the elevators broke down and it was not fixed by the time we checked out. This meant that we were waiting on average 10-15 minutes to get down or up the hotel, which can be quite frustrating at times. We would have expected such issues to be resolved as soon as possible by the hotel, especially as it was during the peak holiday season.

The room was decent and comfortable. We are not as bothered by the old furniture as some of the other reviews. The water pressure in the shower was good. One thing to highlight is that the walls of the rooms are not that thick. We could hear kids talking and shouting from the neighbouring rooms and outside the corridors.

If you are looking for convenience and will not be staying in your room for long periods, then this hotel is for you.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ytravel18
GurneyHotel, General Manager at The Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences Penang, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay with us. We appreciated your comments and noted on the short- comings. We are looking forward to welcome you for your future stay with us.

The Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights from 7 - 9 January 2013 in a Studio Suite.
Spacious lobby.
Check in was smooth.
Surprised with the size of the room. Very large compared to Northam All Suite (stayed there before).
The room already showed its ageing but it still acceptable.
Poor tv reception.
Matress a bit too hard for me.

Bathroom ok, nice water pressure and there is a jacuzzi in the bathroom.

Breakfast ok, good selection of local cuisine and there's a Japanese food counter too.

Coffee bean, Subway and few restaurants are located just next to the hotel.
Good walking distance to Gurney Paragon/Plaza Gurney/Gurney Drive Hawker stall.

Check out was no hassle and very efficient.

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the sea or partial sea view
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
GurneyHotel, General Manager at The Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences Penang, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and your valuable insights. We are pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and looking forward to welcome you back for your future visit.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 14, 2014

My brother got married here 10 years ago in a splendid ceremony, so naturally we picked this venue for sentimental reasons. Big mistake. There were cockroaches on some guests' tables on the night itself. All guests who were staying at the hotel had various problems; in one room the air conditioning was broken so they got a table fan in instead. In another room the curtains were stained beyond any recognition. One of my friends staying there called room service for a clean towel but was told the hotel was all out of clean towels. That had to be the first time in history a hotel couldn't supply clean towels. The carpets are permanently stained to the point they are all black in colour. Worse was to follow. My phone was stolen at the event. By one of the waiting staff. How do I know this? Because we tracked my phone and call history and found that a series of phone calls were made to Bangladesh (none of my guests knew anybody in Bangladesh). A series of complaints to the F&B manager and Events Manager yielded no response, simply a "Where's your police report?" line of questioning. If I could turn back time I would have paid a little more and got somewhere much nicer. But I can't. So don't repeat my mistake. Don't ever use this hotel until it gets (if it ever gets) refurbished under the new owners.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Alveola
GurneyHotel, General Manager at The Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences Penang, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent function held with us. We noted the shortcomings and we will be contacting your goodself for more detail to enable us for further investigation.

Travelers are raving about these George Town hotels

Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed January 13, 2014

First I checked into a room on the 12th floor around 1pm. Bath water leaked under the floor tiles and came out in the carpet outside the bathroom. The jacuzzi motor didn't work in the bath tub. No shower gel provided. Only shampoo. I guess they expected the guests to use the shampoo as shower gel. Noisy kids playing in the tub next door could be heard loud & clear. Their website clearly shows a fruit basket in the rooms. In reality, no such thing! The shower head spurts out water in all directions like a fireworks display. Tried to call reception, nobody answered the phone. Then I called housekeeping, again nobody answered the phone. After complaining to the front office manager, they sent a repairman around 9pm! Note the time difference. Finally the repairman called reception to change the room after doing some messy repairs. We were given another room on the 21st floor. Looked ok but the air conditioning was warm! The shower had no hot water. Omg! It's after 10 pm already. Just bear with it, checking out ASAP tomorrow.

Room Tip: Tip? You are better off at some other hotel!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KualaLumpurTerence
GurneyHotel, General Manager at The Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences Penang, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the recent stay with us and appreciated your comments.
We apologies for the shortcoming during your stay with us. The comments have been shared with the respective managers to carry out necessary remedy action to overcome the shortcoming.
We hope to see your again.

Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

I checked in at 5pm and there was only 1 towel in the room. And there were no floor mats in the toilet. We were 2 adults and 2 kids. I called up the housekeeping and requested for 2 more towels and a floor mat. The lady on the end of the line curtly told me that she can only give me 1 more towel. I explained that we are 4 ppl n need to get ready for a wedding dinner. She said "No, it's hotel policy. We can give u one more towel only". I said, OK, how abt the floor mat, can you send one. Again, very rudely she answered me that it's already there.
At this point, I wasn't going to put up with this type of service. I told her to send me the towel n floor mat ASAP. 15 minutes later, still no towel. I called up housekeeping again, she informed me tht there's no more towels, they haven't received it from laundry and she can only send it in the morning. I had to use my stern voice and told her that they are supposed to get the room ready by 2pm and if the towel doesn't reach me in 5 mins, I'll call the manager on duty. No point for guessing - I was given the extra towel.

All the hassle for ONE towel - go figure!

Gym equipments are 95% faulty! one of the lift was also not working.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Saras A
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay with us. We apologizes for the shortcoming and we will follow up with the respective managers to further improve on the services and facilities we are offering.We hope to see your again.

Singapore
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Location-wise, it's on Gurney Drive, which offers nice views of the sea. However, it's about a 15 min walk to the hawker place and shopping centres.

Rooms were one of the worst I've ever encountered. Amongst a whole host of problems that others have already mentioned, the biggest issue I have is the sounds of the plumbing from both your room, and your neighbours! Every time someone flushes the toilet or uses the shower or basin, you will hear it very clearly, and loud. How can a person have a good night's sleep?

Seriously, a hotel (even a budget one) should never operate under such circumstances, so I'm very surprised that they are even affiliated to an international brand.

Stay here at your own risk.

Room Tip: If you want a good night's sleep, stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank TerenceSingapore
GurneyHotel, General Manager at The Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences Penang, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay with us. We apologizes for the shortcoming during your stay with us. The comments have been shared with the respective managers to carry out necessary remedy action to overcome the shortcoming and hope to see your again.

Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Gurney Resort Hotel for 3 nights from 5/1/2014. There were 4 of us and we had a two-rooms suite on the 33rd floor .
We read a lot of negative feedbacks before we booked the hotel. But we were pleasantly surprised.
The checking in was swift . The suite was spacious and very comfortable. Everything was nice and clean. The lifts were working well, the water heaters were working well and the airconds were also working perfectly. The staffs were most helpful.
I will surely return to Gurney Resort Hotel.Thank you to all.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay with us. We are glad to hear that your family members and yourself enjoyed your stay with us. We certainly look forward to welcome you back to our hotel on your future visit to Penang.