Where do i even begin? the rooms are dated, but big..small TV...but the worse part is their management and customer service is definitely NOT up to par. After news of it being taken over by Swiss Garden, we had hoped things would be better with professional management in place, but apparently not...I had a wedding dinner reception there on the 8th December 2012..the best night of my life..you guys made it officially the worse...this is what happened..
1) Having stood around all night greeting people and gathering everything we finally made it back to the bridal suite at around midnight. As usual we had to wait some time at the elevators as they are really slow and there are tonnes of people mulling around during the weekend. It took us forever to arrive at the 34th floor as it seems to stop at every other floor to offload guests. So finally when we arrived, what a relief. But when we got to the door, we couldn't get it open. The card malfunctioned. By the way, this was the 2nd time on the same day the card had malfunctioned. Being too tired to make it to the reception again, I called one of my friends to give a call to the reception to send up a spare key card to the bridal suite at room 3407 instead. That request was immediately shot down with the reply that they can't do that, and that we had to come down again. Needless to say I was very very upset that we both had to go all the way back down just to rectify a problem that was not of our doing!
2) After going through all that we went back up to change and met our friends to go out grab some local food. As you are aware there are 2 car parks reserved for us, one the bridal car and second the accompanying car. We took both cars and left, and returned about an hour later around 2:00am. To our surprised our car parks were fully occupied. I stopped by the person attending to the parking, and asked him why our reserved car parks were occupied. Guess what, he extremely rudely replied,
"at night no more reserve parking. reserve parking only for function and not for after function."
"you can't see today weekend, school holiday so many people no parking available you need to go park upstairs"
"your function is for the 8th December, now already 9th (at 2am) so no more reservation"
I had explained to him that we just stepped out for a quick bite, we were of course entitled to have the parking from check in 8th Dec to checkout on the 9th Dec. It was incredibly brainless to give such excuses. Needless to say I was ABSOLUTELY FUMING LIKE MAD. After about 5 minutes of arguing with him, as he wouldn't budge and cars behind were honking, we had to park upstairs. I went straight to reception, for the 2nd time in 2 hours, the same lady had to be on the receiving end. She apologized and mentioned that yes, we were definitely entitled to the car park. Not sure if she the made a report of this incident.
3) Upon check-out on the 9th, we encountered another problem. We took the 1pm check-out. To my surprised when we checked out the front desk issued me with an outstanding of 1 room payment to be made. I was surprised as my mom had already informed me that all rooms were paid for. We were busy arguing that the charge should not be there, and she insisted we had to pay for the extra room cos an extra room was taken. I explained to her that on the 8th when we checked in there was a slight re-arrangement of rooms as we off-loaded 1 room. Unknowingly when we pointed out the name for which to the room was to be removed, the previous day's front desk lady failed to inform us that there were 2-rooms attached to that name. We eventually realized that instead of 9 rooms to check in, we suddenly had 8-rooms. We then ask her to re-instate the one room which was accidentally removed.
She couldn't understand what we were talking about, and printed out the list of rooms that she said we took keys for, and asked me to show her proof of our payment for all the rooms. As my mom had left for lunch i had her take a pic and sent to my mobile to proof to the front desk lady that we had paid for total 13 rooms for the 8th December. She insisted that on her record we had a total of 14 rooms. Luckily, my mom in law wrote down all the numbers of the rooms taken, and we crossed checked with the list. There was an extra room which she claimed had checked in and taken the key which was definitely not taken by any members of our party. It was room 3408 (right next to the bridal suite). I was very firm with her that none of us took that room, she called house keeping to verify if the room was used. This whole incident at the front desk lasted about 1 hour 15 mins. We were all very hungry but we had to settle this unnecessary problem. My friends, parents in law, their relatives were all waiting for us to settle this issue. Eventually, she told us we could go and if there was any issues she would call me.
It was a very unfortunate turn of events for us. On what was supposed to be a really joyful and happy day for us to celebrate our wedding dinner at Gurney Hotel, regretfully, we will forever remember it even more for the less-than-desirable way we were treated, and of a few of its staff. Frankly, we as a couple have traveled extensively, and have even stayed a couple of times at Gurney Hotel previously, unfortunately, this has been by far the worse experience we have ever encountered, made even worse taking into account the occasion.
The response we got from Gurney management was that they would give us a free meal..are you serious?? after choosing your hotel for the most memorable day of our lives with a bill totaling over MYR10,000 only to have it utterly mishandled, and you guys want to insult us by giving us a free meal?? also, taking into account, we are from outstation..so you mean for us to travel 4 hours down from KL all the way to Penang book a night's stay just to have your meal?? Please think before making such a ridiculous offer. I am very sure you guys have more sense than that...utterly disgusted...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Brimming with matchless elegance, top-notch provisions, and cordial, genuine service, The Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences in George Town, Penang, Malaysia truly stands out among the multitude of hotels in the locale. We invite you to bask in well-appointed suites replete with essential amenities, such as free Wi-Fi Internet access, cable TV, and a private bath with jacuzzi. Business travelers can use spacious and well-lit conference halls, while holidaymakers can have a relaxing time in our restaurant, pool, and spa. Sitting along the tourist belt of Gurney Drive, adjacent to the Central Business District, our 4-star resort is a few kilometers from the airport and ferry terminal. It also enjoys an address with easy access to shopping centers, like the Gurney Plaza, Gurney Paragon, and Batu Ferringhi night market. Moreover, it is just a short drive away from several tourist attractions, such as the Kek Lok Si Temple, Penang Bird Park, and Snake Temple. With these wonderful features, The Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences in Penang truly is the preferred luxurious accommodation for any occasion at anytime. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Ctrip TA, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences Penang reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gurney Resort Hotel And Residences
- Gurney Hotel Penang
- Gurney Hotel Malaysia
- The Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences Penang George Town