“Gurney Hotel”

The Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences
Ranked #68 of 87 Hotels in George Town
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Nice big hotel with seaview We stay on the 24th floor.Nothing much to say but the elevator is a bit slow.Very nice Reception Counter staff and the bell/conceirge staff.Plenty of restaurant nearbt with a bit of exercise but worth it.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor if possible..nice view of the Straits of Malacca.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Impressed with the facilities. When I complained about the safe in the room, they came with 3 officers to review it and asked me to sign a form on the works done. I feel this is a very good procedure and transparent as they have other officers who act as witness. The hotel has good views, location and offer good breakfast. It has everything you need. However, this hotel can be packed during school holidays.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2012

This is my first stay in this hotel. I must say that I was impressed with the room. The biggest room I have stayed in a hotel. The prupose of my stay here is to get back with my girlffriend. This room is quite romantic with 'good old days' embience. Location is suberb and the parking is good. We really had a good time here. Down side is they still using the box tv with no more than 21'. I only stay 1 night here and would like to stay few more nights if I have known it would be so nice. I didn't use the facilities here so I cannot comment on this.
The buffet breakfast was nothing great but it is quite sufficient to fill our stomach.
Overall, this is quite good experience and I would rate this hotel 4 star.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2012

It was a last minutes holiday with my colleagues and we decided to book a suite at Gurney Hotel as the rate is attractive for 3 persons. The suite is large and comfortable to accomodate 3 persons. There is no need for additional bed as there is a sofa which we used as a bed as well.

The bathroom is huge with separate shower and bathtub. The only complaint that we have was that the hair dryer is not working and the electric kettle is rusty. We managed to get these changed the next day after complaining. The TV in the room is small and of old model. It is time for them to change to a newer model.

We had a good time at the recreation deck which offered a host of activities for guests from beach volleyball to steam bath. We were able to use the steam bath twice and enjoyed it very much.

The buffet breakfast offered by the hotel is not too bad with a good variety and the foods are replenished quite fast. Even if you are coming down late for breakfast, there are still ample of foods.

The Hotel is within walking distant to the Gurney Plaza and also to the Gurney Drive Hawkers Food Center. The only setback that we faced is the location of the hotel. At night, if you are driving out, don't expect to get back early as the road leading to Gurney Drive is jam packed and at time is not moving at all. I think you will only faced this on a weekend or during Public Holiday.

There are some nice restaurants at Gurney Road. If you do want to be caught in a jam, try some of these restaurant for dinner. Since this is a tourist location, the food might not be cheap. But for some good cheap food, walked to Gurney Drive for a variety of local hawker foods.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank ETan88
Reviewed August 27, 2012

It was a sudden unexpected booking to this hotel. We had just check-out from an awful stay from another hotel (my 1st time to Penang that is!) and decided to give The Gurney a try seeing it had a rather good promo going on.

Ok i'll start with the bad first:

>> Check-in was sorry to say, a dismay.
We called the hotel 3 hours prior and spent a good 15 minutes making sure our reservations was made. Checked-in at about 6pm+ (we were scruffy needed a good soak then then as we'd just come from the beach at Batu Feringghi) and true enough, the reception couldn't find our booking. Then what's the point of wasting my money calling isn't it? Waited patiently and gave our names, ID and relevant info 3x but still couldn't find our info. There were 3 staffs manning the check-in counter and only us standing there but none gave a warm greeting or smile, they were just staring into the pcs. The guy who were checking-us in were engaging but in a wrong way by pin-pointing his other colleagues mistakes of not keying our booking correctly and laughing at it. By then, 15 minutes had passed and my toddler was getting all fidgety. Then he came out of his reception's desk and carried our bags over to the concierge which was rather awkward coz he could've just buzz them to come over or walk straight over internally. With all this strange, unprofessional way of check-in procedure, he then forgot to make our room keys until i pointed it out.

>> Housekeeping
We had reserved a baby cot and the reception promised that housekeeping had done a turn-down service and placed the cot. And guess what, it wasn't there. Called housekeeping for an extra towel & baby cot but the towel came and the cot didn't. Then it came. And 5 mins later another cot was at our door. Imagine when u finally get to your room after the hassle at check-in and heading so much for the tub, only to get dragged to answer your ringing doorbell 3x!!

>> Breakfast
Breakfast spread the following day was aplenty! But again, no smile, no 'Good Morning'. Only staffs going about with their duties. A bit unwelcoming in the morning itself.

The good part:
>> Spacious room and dazzling view!
The space in this normal room would be classified as a Jnr. Suite already in some countries. Huge! >500 sqf. Bed and pillows were very comfy, 2 split aircons, big writing desk, sofa, jacuzzi, shower and a lot of closet space. However it needs uplifting as the sofa and carpet gives a quaint feel. Sofa especially was a slight eyesore but tolerable.
We had the 13th fl with part sea and part city view which compensated greatly.

>>Pool
This was the best part for us. The pool area was shady, with a slide, kids room with tv and crayons and sandy, beach-y paths - which was great for kids (and parents too!) Steam room was in perfect condition and great. Staffs here was super attentive and deserves medals! Why? Because suddenly a thunderstorm poured they quickly came running with towels and ushered us away and even carried our shoes for us! This truly, won me over.

Overall I would give this hotel a rating of 3 stars for room, 4 stars for pool, 4 stars for breakfast spead (2 for the service), 4 stars for concierge - Bachchan (I think his name was) was excellent during our check-in and 2 stars for reception staffs, both during check-in and check-out.

Room Tip: 1306 had part sea, part city. Mid-level, didn't have to wait long for lifts to arrive.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank foxxyhailey_18
Reviewed August 2, 2012

The Gurney could be a splendid hotel. The setting on the waterfront is ideal, and it hosts some nice amenities (cozy restaurant, excellent conference rooms, and a pretty cool outdoor space with an infinity pool. But luxurious this place is not. I spent 4 nights at this hotel for a work event. When I first walked into my spacious “apartment suite” on the 23rd floor I thought I’d traveled back to the 70s. Crummy carpet, crummy little TV, crummy couch, crummy closets. But then I saw the view through the panoramic windows and I started to forgive the Gurney for not being all it could be. True, the hotel refused to give out wash cloths or hand towels (baths size only). True, I never got hot water in my shower (there was plenty in the tub next to the walk-in shower). True, the dingy windows looked like they had never seen a squeegee. But the bed was very comfortable, the AC was perfectly regulated, and I never heard a peep from another guest … until the final night of my stay, which brings me to another quirky aspect of this hotel, which you may or may not appreciate. Apparently – and I base this on comments from others and from observing activity with my own eyes – the Gurney operates a ‘gentleman’s club” on the upper floors. A colleague said he was greeted at the door by a man with a menu “Do you prefer Chinese, Japanese or Russian?” Thinking he was ordering dinner, my friend said “Do you have a buffet?” “That can be arranged, sir” “Great, but I’d like to shower first.” “Oh no worries, sir, the shower is included in the price.”

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank camasgirl1
Reviewed August 1, 2012

We got this room and very satisfied and have a wonderful holidays with our family members. We chose this coz it is near to gurney mall, ending up there are too many sports and games to play there till we even have to tapao back to hotel coz the kids wouldn't want to leave the hotel. I think it is on 7th floor, there is two swimming pools, one is with slides big enough for them. They even make it a sandy beach pool, and best part is it is shady and so they can play the whole day here. All facility is one floor, open air gym, volleyball, football field, table tennis, pool, darts, this is enough for kids to spend whole day here and also adults as well.
The room is big enough and kitchen is quite equipped,
A few things to look into,
1) the sofa set really need to be replaced as it is too worn out.
2) pls speed up the checking in process, as a guest coming to enjoy holiday, it would upset us if we need to wait for half an hour to check in, during the check in time of 2-3pm, how can there only has 2 staff attending.
If batuferringgi is too far from town for u, I would suggest this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family