I have heard some bad remarks about the Gurney Hotel previously from other people so I had some reservation (pun intended) in booking the hotel.
However my doubts were cleared soon as we checked in. The security was very helpful and cheerful in directing us to the car park (we drove from KL). The front desk was quick and efficient in checking us in.
The room was spacious with a huge bathroom equipped with both shower and bathtub. The lay out of the room was done cleverly and the furniture and fittings were more than adequate.
The gym was limited so the management had made arrangement with the nearby Fitness Studio to have guests use their facilities. Fitness Studio has fantastic facilities.
The plus and minus points can be summarised as below:
- Spacious and well equipped room (including iron)
- Great lay out
- Large bathroom
- Good service
- Great location (Gurney Drive)
- Reasonable price
- Gym (with swimming pool and facilities for kids)
- Arrangement with Fitness Studio for guess to use their facilities (very well equipped)
- Old CRT TV
- Old style air condition
- Some furniture looked old
Overall, the Gurney might not be the best or the newest hotel in Penang but in terms of overall value for money and facilities, it is a very good package indeed. Its location at the Gurney Drive is one of the key attractions. The rate of Rm 200 to 230/night is very reasonable for its class compared to other hotels in Malaysia or any major Asian cities.
For non Malaysians or those from outside of Penang, we have the below tips (we have stayed in Penang for more than 10 years before moving back to KL).
- Food : Try having all your meals outside hotel as Penang has a wide variety of good food. But try avoid the restaurants at the Gurney Drive as they are generally expensive, less tasty and cater for tourists. If you wish to sample Penang food, one good way is to try at the New World Park which has many good street food in clean and comfortable (air cond) environment. Generally it is not easy for non Penangites to locate the good food as they tend to be located in hard to find places.
- Transport : Try to self drive as the Penang cabs tend to be expensive (fixed fare rather than meter).
- Hotels : Penang beached are over-rated and not that clean. The hotels along the famed Batu Feringghi / Tanjung Bungah area tend to charge a premium for the beaches. A smarter choice would be staying at the Gurney Drive / Georgetown area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Brimming with matchless elegance, top-notch provisions, and cordial, genuine service, The Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences in George Town, Penang, Malaysia truly stands out among the multitude of hotels in the locale. We invite you to bask in well-appointed suites replete with essential amenities, such as free Wi-Fi Internet access, cable TV, and a private bath with jacuzzi. Business travelers can use spacious and well-lit conference halls, while holidaymakers can have a relaxing time in our restaurant, pool, and spa. Sitting along the tourist belt of Gurney Drive, adjacent to the Central Business District, our 4-star resort is a few kilometers from the airport and ferry terminal. It also enjoys an address with easy access to shopping centers, like the Gurney Plaza, Gurney Paragon, and Batu Ferringhi night market. Moreover, it is just a short drive away from several tourist attractions, such as the Kek Lok Si Temple, Penang Bird Park, and Snake Temple. With these wonderful features, The Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences in Penang truly is the preferred luxurious accommodation for any occasion at anytime. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Expedia, Agoda, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences Penang reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gurney Resort Hotel And Residences
- Gurney Hotel Penang
- Gurney Hotel Malaysia
- The Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences Penang George Town