All reviewscoffee beanskids poolspacious roomshopping centrevolleyballcupboardsingaporeeateries
Reviewed September 25, 2011

I have stayed in this hotel several times, last time was couple of days ago. Generally, check in is not a problem. Whe. I checked in last time, it was a breeze and got sorted out within five minutes. Rooms are generally spacious too. I have taken a normal room for one person and also a two bedroom apartment. Generally both are spacious and well configured. Only thing i that the carpet and furniture generally are relatively dated and could use reupholstery. The TV could also be upgraded to a bigger screen or even lcd etc instead of the old models. Hotel mgmt could put better soaps etc as the small bar given is unbecoming of a hotel that stature. Service wise, the ti es when I reuested for some thing, service was quick and not a problem. They have a nice swimming pool and sand area on level 7 which is a fair alternative to te beach if you can't get a room in the beach hotels. the gotel also has a relatively good n affordable spa.

FnB wise, i normally go to the side of the hotel. There is coffee bean, starbucks for those upscale coffee lovers. A disco (not been in so cant comment there), a pub and a nice mamak shop called kapitans I believe. Kapitans serve nice tandoori and all those kinds of food for those who enjoy it.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Enjoystravelling
Reviewed September 22, 2011

We checked in late since our flight was delayed, but they receptionist is very friendly and entertain us with most of our requests. Breakfast was just ok, nothing special. Room is clean, huge and my baby can run around the room. But I dont think this hotel is suitable for vacation.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 21, 2011

Stayed there for a night as part of family getaway in Penang. Was surprised to find jacuzzi in the bathroom and my daughter and I jumped straight into it when we checked into the room. Room was clean and view was superb!

The swimming pool and game area are quite outstanding. Do bring full swimming wear for your kids with long sleeve/pants as it gets quite cold when swimming, especially in the morning. Breakfast was OK and good value for money!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank mibam80
Reviewed September 18, 2011

I stay here regularly each time I visit Penang - the 2-bedroom suite is perfect for my family of 6 with its big & spacious living room, 2 bedrooms, 2 TVs, 2 bathrooms & a kitchenette equipped with eating utensils & fridge. Did I mention the jacuzzi in the master bathroom ? If you are lucky, you could even get a unit that comes with a washing machine!

Usually the hotel rates do not include breakfast but it is OK with us as so many eateries are located within walking distance. We have tried out their breakfast buffet and find the spread to be good and of wide variety.

Location is great - right at the end of the popular Gurney stretch (not so noisy compared to the other end), beach across the street (not recommended for swimming though), lots of cafes including Coffee Bean nearby....you could even walk to the Gurney Plaza shopping mall and the popular hawker centre at the other end if you want to.

The kids love the fun pool with waterslides, cascading mini waterfalls and shooting fountains located on the 7th floor. There is another big pool for more serious swimmers, though the freezing water need getting used to ! The whole pool area is made like an artificial beach with sand and all. There is a playroom, gym, archery section, steam rooms & ping-pong tables for guests to enjoy.

I love this hotel - the only complaint is its slow, slow elevators that are usually filled to the brim during the "peak hours" - sometimes you have to wait patiently for a few rounds before you could squeeze into one!

Other than that trivial issue, Gurney Hotel is a great place to stay when you are in Penang.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 12, 2011

A well maintain "Business Style" hotel. Rooms are big. But with 2 single bed ajoining. Breakfast was ok. But find the price not competiitve as we can pay RM30 to stay in Evergreen Laurel next door.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business