“Very good hotel at moderate price” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences
Ranked #64 of 82 Hotels in George Town
Broome, Australia
“Very good hotel at moderate price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2011

We are half way through 7 day stay as part of an Air Asia Package. We have a lovely room on the 16th floor with a magic view out over the bay. The staff are just so friendly and always keen to be of service. The room is probably the largest we've ever stayed in and certainly it is the biggest bed ever!
Breakfast has a simply enormous range of food available (and was included in our package price).
There is a large range of leisure and relaxation facilities within the hotel - spas, pools, gym, massage, etc.
There are several eating establishments in the same building on the ground floor.
There is no bar within the hotel if that is important to you.
Only downside for us is that you'll probably need a taxi to get anywhere you want to go - but of course taxis are reasonably priced.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jrk36

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Kampala, Uganda
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2011

I spent two nights in this hotel. The staff was very friendly, and our room was on the water shores side, so i had a good view of the waters & the town side.
Extensive menu of meals these guys served, i at least got something for my self.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2011

I had the unfortunate luck of having to travel alone for a business trip and being a lone traveller on many occasions, this doesn't quite ruffle my feathers. However, one of the bell boys who helped me with my luggage to my room somehow managed to get my mobile number and started to harass me in the middle of the night with text messages and repeated (albeit unanswered) phone calls! I was too terrified to continue my stay there and immediately checked out the very next day (and the persistant phone calls continued even when I have left the hotel).

It seems the safety and privacy of customers' data are not the top priority of the management in Gurney. It was terrifying for a single female traveller and it totally destroyed my opinion of the hotel.

So ladies, perhaps next time a fake mobile number is to be provided to the reception upon checking in, just to be safe.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank soloaim

Travelers are raving about these George Town hotels

Perth, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2011

I agree with the review that lozslocombe submitted in that the hotel rooms were old, dirty, mouldy and run down. They were basically grubby, carpets were old and worn, the curtains were covered in mothholes and the bathrooms were mouldy. The "jacuzzi" in our bedroom did not work. The towels were thin and worn. Personally, if I am paying good money for a relaxing holiday, this is not where I would like to spend most of my time.

On a more positive note, the kids loved the pools, and they enjoyed the buffet breakast selection every morning. The staff were friendly and helpful.

We went to KL for a couple of days, and were supposed to return to the Gurney for the remainder of the holiday, however, I was happy to lose our flight money and rebook a beautiful, brand new, modern, clean apartment in KL and stay there for the remainder of our holiday.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank SuzyGT
Kajang, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2011

It was a nice hotel. I stayed there for one night. Going there for a conference. The swimming pool area is the special one of this hotel. Its in 9th floor and u can see SEA while swimming :)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Perth
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2011

This hotel was the most rundown hotel I have ever stayed in...The big chandelier at the entrance needs to be torn down!!! It makes people think that this hotel is a luxurious palace!!! Palace- It is not!
We had 2 single beds put together for my husband and I (not holiday material). Our kids slept on the dirty dirty old, cigarette smelling lounge and floor. we had to pay for a rollout bed for them, as we were falsely sold the hotel room to sleep 4 people...and it only slept 2. Front desk didn't care, and we were charged anyway.
Shower area full of mould, safe repeatedly breaking, towels at least 10 years old, small and thin....Air conditioner leaked all over my daughter's suitcase, and the cleaner just moved the suitcase! and didn't fix the air con. Breakfast...bread stale every day! The state of the rooms made me too queasy to eat there...I bought my coffee at 'Coffee Bean' nextdoor.
This place trully ruined our stay in Penang. The Gurney needs to shut and properly renovate before taking money off paying guests.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank lozslocombe
GurneyHotel, Manager at The Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, January 24, 2011
Dear Lozslocombe

Thank you very much indeed for your valuable comments.

First and foremost, please accept our deepest apologize for the product quality and cleanliness that caused the discomfort for you and family.

We have taken your comment very seriously and your comment has been shared with all the relevant departments; rest assure immediate action will be taken place to rectify the issues.

Once again our sincerely apologize and do hope you will visit us again at the near future

Very sincerely,
The Management
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2011

I stay for 3 nights in a suite with 2 rooms, went with 4 friends. The suite is simple yet very comfortable, the view I got for my room is excellent. Beds, sofa, Jacuzzi and etc are all in good condition. The staff is helpful and reasonably knowledgeable. Breakfast buffet is excellent, and the service is great, again with helpful and friendly staff.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends